The Student Room Group

Clinical psychology or mental health nursing?

I'm currently doing an access to higher education in health professions. I'd originally applied for social sciences and was planning on doing clinical psychology at university but the course got cancelled. I found out the other day about mental health nursing degrees. Now I'm trying to decide which.

My main job dreams are either working on a psychiatric ward or working for CAMHS. I've been to an open day today which made me more unsure of what to do.
The mental health nurse rep explained kind of how hard it was n i'd only achieve it if i had a real passion and interest in it but i think I'm more interested in psychology out of the two as i not only want to help people but understand why they are the way they are.
I'm worried about not being able to get a job after psychology degree as I've been checking out unistats and its only like 10% get into a professional job after 6 months compared to the 100% of mental health nurses.
HELPPPPPP
Original post by cbachmet
I'm currently doing an access to higher education in health professions. I'd originally applied for social sciences and was planning on doing clinical psychology at university but the course got cancelled. I found out the other day about mental health nursing degrees. Now I'm trying to decide which.

My main job dreams are either working on a psychiatric ward or working for CAMHS. I've been to an open day today which made me more unsure of what to do.
The mental health nurse rep explained kind of how hard it was n i'd only achieve it if i had a real passion and interest in it but i think I'm more interested in psychology out of the two as i not only want to help people but understand why they are the way they are.
I'm worried about not being able to get a job after psychology degree as I've been checking out unistats and its only like 10% get into a professional job after 6 months compared to the 100% of mental health nurses.
HELPPPPPP

I think its really depends on what you want to do as part of your jobs skills wise really. How about getting a few days work experience if possible shadowing a clinical psychologist and then a mental health nurse.
I don't know much about clinical psychology jobs in the NHS overall however getting a trainee position is supposedly quite difficult to do so and involves quite a bit of extra training especially if you decided you wanted to work in CAHMS so not a decision to make lightly it seems.
I've just finished my 1st month of my mental health nursing degree so if you've any specific questions I can try my best to answer them (CAHMS is one area I have briefly considered but its not something thats easy if not almost impossible to get a job in as a newly qualified nurse but should have no difficulties getting a job on an adult psychiatric ward).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I think its really depends on what you want to do as part of your jobs skills wise really. How about getting a few days work experience if possible shadowing a clinical psychologist and then a mental health nurse.
I don't know much about clinical psychology jobs in the NHS overall however getting a trainee position is supposedly quite difficult to do so and involves quite a bit of extra training especially if you decided you wanted to work in CAHMS so not a decision to make lightly it seems.
I've just finished my 1st month of my mental health nursing degree so if you've any specific questions I can try my best to answer them (CAHMS is one area I have briefly considered but its not something thats easy if not almost impossible to get a job in as a newly qualified nurse but should have no difficulties getting a job on an adult psychiatric ward).

What exactly do you do on the mental health nursing course and is it as crazy as it sounds (work load wise). The prospectuses I've got and open day people I've spoke to all seem a big vague thanks
What exactly do you do on the mental health nursing course and is it as crazy as it sounds (work load wise). The prospectuses I've got and open day people I've spoke to all seem a big vague thanks

You spend half the course in practice on placement and half in uni (roughly) Simply put on placement which I have for 16 weeks this year it's 38.5 hours a week. I have theory until Christmas that's about 4 days a week 9-4 but can be less some weeks . You re expected to do further reading and other things at home and also complete a portfolio and placement documents and other things.
So it's certainly not easy by any means and good time management is a must.
(Saying that I absolutely love the course so far :smile: )

As for what we study first years the same for all nurses but you do biology, medicine, laws and ethics and sociology and lots on health itself and fundamental nursing skills . After that the other two years are specific to mental health so brain anatomy, lots on therapeutic communication skills and interventions and lots lots more:smile:
Reply 4

HELPPPPPP

As claireestelle suggested clinical psychology involves a lot of extra training compared to mental health nursing. You would need an undergraduate degree with BPS accreditation and then usually a master's degree or substantial work experience as an assistant psychologist (usually both) to get an interview. They are small programmes and have very high rejection rates, but if you can get an interview then your chances are more favourable. The clinical doctorate is a three-year course in itself but is very well funded (band 5 while training).

The programme at my university had five placements, including a dedicated CAMHS one. You would be expected to conduct a research project in your final years which is nothing like an undergraduate dissertation.

One option for you could be to qualify as a mental health nurse, obtaining lots of relevant training in the process, and then take a BPS accredited masters before looking for an assistant post or applying directly for programmes.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest