The Student Room Group

Do Scottish unis have a particular bias towards Scottish students?

...Compared to English or Welsh students who may be applying to Scottish unis too?

This is just something I've heard and I just wanna know if it's true or not... :smile::smile:
It is true that Scottish unis have fixed numbers of scottish students that can be taken as opposed to more flexibility with fee paying english/welsh students. This translates as them having a bias almost against students from scotland because only a fixed number can be taken as stipulated by the Scottish Government which pays our tuition fees. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They tend to accept more English/Welsh/foreign students because they need to pay student fees, meaning more money for the university. So really there is an advantage for foreign students! However I wouldn't rely on this, just make sure your PS and application is strong compared to everyone else's.
Reply 3
Due to how funding works, English students are not competing for the same set of places as Scottish students so there can't really be a bias either way. Universities do have more flexibility with the number of English students they take too so for example my university has been in clearing for the last few years if you're English but not if you're Scottish.

Quick Reply

Latest