The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do you think about feminism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Thank you for posting your opinion. In regards about feminism having a bad image thanks to a group of women, do you consider them feminists? It's interesting to see that people say that feminism is equality of the sexes yet do not reprimand the radical feminists that are openly misandrist. Also, is it necessary to have feminism for issues that are not severe, such as a judgement of a women keeping her maiden name?

In regards to having feminism for 'not severe' issues i think is paramount. It is important to deal with the more ' everyday experienced' views or acts of sexism such as the ability for a woman to chose to keep her maiden name without scrutiny. It is vital to deal with issues such as these as they can impact the way women are treated and regarded.
In regards to radical feminists that are openly misandrist, i think that it is their prerogative and that they comprise of a small (but vocal) sector of the movement (feminism is wide spread and a movement not an organisation or a party). I don't think that they should be reprimanded because e.g. someone else who has 'radical' views on another issue such as the economy or the environment are not reprimanded thus these minority of feminists shouldn't either. I think that these radical feminists are feminists as they want women to not be a second class gender, but they do not represent a majority of the movement.
As i said, the purpose of feminism is to stop the judgement and hindering of a women's progress because of her choices or more importantly her gender. This means that women should be considered (aside from a biological/ physical sense) as equal to a man, not more and not less.
Original post by elliemayxo
I am an anti feminist and proud. I do not want the same rights as men.

And i certainly don't want to be treated the same as a man.

Pardon? :lolwut:
Original post by RobML
That's quite strange

Posted from TSR Mobile

More like sad..
Yes, it seems that this mindset is common among radical feminists. What sort of actions can be taken to improve the conditions of women's lives in the third world? It's dangerous to intervene, sometimes, without considering barriers such as culture which may lead to conflict

You could support organisations that work on the ground in these countries. Yes culture can become an issue so linking up with people who are familiar with that culture is a good place to start.
Reply 43
Original post by 90780
In regards to having feminism for 'not severe' issues i think is paramount. It is important to deal with the more ' everyday experienced' views or acts of sexism such as the ability for a woman to chose to keep her maiden name without scrutiny. It is vital to deal with issues such as these as they can impact the way women are treated and regarded.
In regards to radical feminists that are openly misandrist, i think that it is their prerogative and that they comprise of a small (but vocal) sector of the movement (feminism is wide spread and a movement not an organisation or a party). I don't think that they should be reprimanded because e.g. someone else who has 'radical' views on another issue such as the economy or the environment are not reprimanded thus these minority of feminists shouldn't either. I think that these radical feminists are feminists as they want women to not be a second class gender, but they do not represent a majority of the movement.
As i said, the purpose of feminism is to stop the judgement and hindering of a women's progress because of her choices or more importantly her gender. This means that women should be considered (aside from a biological/ physical sense) as equal to a man, not more and not less.

You have a valid opinion. I think, however, the radical group of any movement, political group or religion should be reprimanded because left alone they can be potentially dangerous. Also, it's thanks to the radical group within feminism that has hindered the entire thing as there is less support to sort out the issues mentioned.
Original post by Cybele
I'm all for it. If you're not for feminism then you're not for equality, it's as simple as that.

What an original thought. It's never been expressed by a feminist before - ever.

Can I ask, are you a fascist if you support the minimum wage? The Fascist Manifesto advocated in favour of the minimum wage and clearly, as a result, they must be mutually exclusive. More to the point, if feminism and equality are mutually exclusive, why does 81% of the population support full legal and workplace equality between men and women but only 19% of the population identifies as feminist? https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/10/05/treat-women-equally-dont-call-it-feminism/

Feminism and equality are not mutually exclusive, as the 2,000 examples I listed on the previous page testify to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by black_mamba
You could support organisations that work on the ground in these countries. Yes culture can become an issue so linking up with people who are familiar with that culture is a good place to start.

A good point, having knowledge on the country is a wise move so that women's rights can be won without the need of conflict, specifically the violent type.
You have a valid opinion. I think, however, the radical group of any movement, political group or religion should be reprimanded because left alone they can be potentially dangerous. Also, it's thanks to the radical group within feminism that has hindered the entire thing as there is less support to sort out the issues mentioned.

The majority is, and always will be, a lame duck.

History teaches us one thing: majorities don't enforce political or social change, minorities do.
Reply 47
Original post by TheCitizenAct
The majority is, and always will be, a lame duck.

History teaches us one thing: majorities don't enforce political or social change, minorities do.

A lame duck?! what?? :s-smilie:
Also, it's true that minorities cause a revolution but being in the majority is more desired therefore more influential? Plus, your statement does not retract the fact that radical groups are dangerous.
A lame duck?! what?? :s-smilie:
Also, it's true that minorities cause a revolution but being in the majority is more desired therefore more influential? Plus, your statement does not retract the fact that radical groups are dangerous.

I'm saying that the majority group never enacts radical social change. It's always a minority.

I'm agreeing with you and emphasising that it doesn't matter whether they are a 'minority', the minority is, as far as history is concerned, equally if not far more influential than the majority.
Reply 49
Original post by TheCitizenAct
I'm saying that the majority group never enacts radical social change. It's always a minority.

I'm agreeing with you and emphasising that it doesn't matter whether they are a 'minority', the minority is, as far as history is concerned, equally if not far more influential than the majority.

oooh, wait I get it now. I see what you mean. Hence why feminism is not popular and often see as a movement for the superiority of women, despite radical feminists being a minority.
Reply 50
Personally, I think women are at the very least equal to men when you look at all factors. If anything, they're starting to get ahead of them. I also think Feminism/Masculinism(?) should be replaced by Egalitarianism, as neither sex is definitely worse off than the other and so the only path towards equality between the two is by looking at the problems of both, instead of focusing on only one. This would also clear away any kind of negative reputation the modern day man hating feminazis have built up around the word 'feminism'.
Original post by Cybele
I'm glad it's a repeated notion. Maybe people will start to get it.

And why don't people identify as feminist? Because there's a complete lack of understand as to what feminism is and wants to achieve, even reading through this thread tells me that.

Can I ask? Do you all come with a script? 'The world is uneducated, people who've spent years of their lives researching feminism are ignorant; I'm insightful, educated, and moral.'

More to the point, if feminism is such an obvious ideology, i.e., it's about 'equality', why is it so difficult for people to understand what it is?

Surely it's in the best interest of feminism to make it as accessible and understandable as possible and for all, not just the elite and intellectually superior?
Original post by drowzee

More like sad..

I know right. I wonder what rights she would like to give up😕
It's one these modern malarkeys
Reply 54
Original post by drowzee

More like sad..

why is it sad to be anti-feminist?
Reply 55
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
It's one these modern malarkeys

haha, ok no offence but you sounded like my grand dad.
And would you care to explain?
why is it sad to be anti-feminist?

Did you not read her entire post? She doesn't want the same rights as men...

Original post by keturah
I know right. I wonder what rights she would like to give up😕

I wonder this too. Perhaps the right to vote? Emily Davison's suicide will be in vain :frown:
Original post by ILovePancakes
Aww **** you're new. I did the same thing when I was new. Regretted it the next day when I came back onto TSR and saw WW3 had erupted. TSR is one of the worst places on the Internet to discuss feminism. You'll see why after spending a bit of time on here :smile:.

I've found it fine. The only real discomfort is caused and felt by those that can't tolerate alternative viewpoints.
You are unlikely to get anything sensible on here to contribute to an essay. If you want anti-feminist stuff, look to most of the established religions with their views on women obeying men, belonging to men etc. If you want some pro-feminist stuff (and perhaps some explanations that might be useful to start an essay - as you can't really critique something you haven't defined) go to the Fawcett Society, and listen to Emma Watson's HeforShe speech made last September for a global perspective.

I identify as a feminist. Equally I recognise that as white, educated, and living in an economically developed country I also enjoy privilege that others don't. But all else being equal, being male means being privileged. You might find this enlightening and interesting: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/05/male-privilege-trans-men/?utm_source=SocialWarfare&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=SocialWarfare
Reply 59
Original post by drowzee
Did you not read her entire post? She doesn't want the same rights as men...

I wonder this too. Perhaps the right to vote? Emily Davison's suicide will be in vain :frown:

All women have an opinion, whether it you find it absurd or not. At the time of the original movement, a lot of women rejected the idea of having equal rights to everything. Just because the right to vote was won, does that mean that all women wanted to vote? No, there was certainly women that did not.

Latest

Trending

Trending