The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do you think about feminism?

I am writing an essay based on this question and I would like to know some of your thoughts on this topic. For example, do you feel that feminism is needed in our current society? Does it uphold its original values? What sort of people do you think are involved with this movement?
Thank you :smile:

Your opinion is your opinion. I am not here to argue about why we all need feminism. Personally, I don't really support the movement but this essay is going to have the least bias possible as I am doing for and against. It's always helpful to have a multitude of opinions rather than myself and a couple of sources!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not against feminism but here are some 'cons'

-Puts domestic responsibilities in a bad light
-More children are being placed in day cares etc. rather than being raised by a mother.
-Women think that they are not successful unless they are the homemaker and the money-bringer: that's impossible.
-The idea that there are no differences between men and women is false. There are differences, but they don't make either gender superior of inferior to the other.
I think it is needed in countries like saudi arabia but isn't really needed in first world countries. I am not too informed on the subject but my main problem with it is how it 'claims' equality for its own as in, for some reason, you're not allowed to be for equality and not be a feminist. That's how it's been to me, I've told people I am not feminist but I believe in gender equality and I get stark responses telling me that feminism IS equality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww **** you're new. I did the same thing when I was new. Regretted it the next day when I came back onto TSR and saw WW3 had erupted. TSR is one of the worst places on the Internet to discuss feminism. You'll see why after spending a bit of time on here :smile:.
I think some thoughts about it.
Reply 5
My views on feminism are the same as my views on fascism.
I became a feminist when I left the UK. Women in the UK get treated like rubbish in comparison to the country I now reside in and I realise that things need to change. I continuously hear that women in the UK get it much better in comparison to other countries and whilst that is true, that still doesn't mean more shouldn't be done. I would not want to raise a daughter in the UK, truth be told. Bare in mind also that I've got a male perspective on things.
Reply 7
Original post by ILovePancakes
Aww **** you're new. I did the same thing when I was new. Regretted it the next day when I came back onto TSR and saw WW3 had erupted. TSR is one of the worst places on the Internet to discuss feminism. You'll see why after spending a bit of time on here :smile:.

haha yes I kinda already know from reading posts about anything politically related, never-mind feminism.
Reply 8
Original post by Mpagtches
I think some thoughts about it.

Mate, you have no idea how dumb struck I was when I read your incredibly insightful and mellowed opinion, which greatly shows your experience in life and maturity when regarding such a controversial subject like this. Have you ever thought of running for MP?
Reply 9
Original post by Gears265
My views on feminism are the same as my views on fascism.

And what are your thoughts?
Originally a good movement which has been corrupted by idiots.
A fundemental misunderstanding of power, and an extrapolation of a disproven marxist language onto gender.
A revolt against nature. Feminists are essentially people who revel in their own self destruction. At its base feminism isn't about hatred of men but rather the hatred of their own feminine nature.

A lot of this applies to the Meninists and MGTOWs as well who are just the different side of the same coin.
Mad for it.
The movement is brilliant. Equality throughout gender is exactly what society needs to function. However, some people (usually white males in their teen/early 20's but others as well) have got the idea that feminists are a raging band of lesbians that are set out to destroy the world and remove the need for men at all.
I read on a past thread here about anti-feminism that someone thought feminists were going to freeze batches of sperm to reproduce then slowly kill all the men...

So yeah, the idea is great. The reality of the movement is an uphill struggle against misogyny and people who don't live in a vastly unequal society
Original post by ILovePancakes

She's not new? But I agree politics can be a bit of a hot topic anywhere.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
I am writing an essay based on this question and I would like to know some of your thoughts on this topic. For example, do you feel that feminism is needed in our current society? Does it uphold its original values? What sort of people do you think are involved with this movement?
Thank you :smile:

Your opinion is your opinion. I am not here to argue about why we all need feminism. Personally, I don't really support the movement but this essay is going to have the least bias possible as I am doing for and against. It's always helpful to have a multitude of opinions rather than myself and a couple of sources!

I've cited message forums for speeches, presentations, etc. It's good to always have your own basic knowledge of a subject but there's nothing wrong with citing secondary sources either :nah:.

I personally don't understand modern western feminism. Original feminists were out to seek equal rights for women in a time where even in the western world women didn't have freedom of speech, the right to vote, receive education if they were common, start businesses, nor the right to work in many fields that they may have qualified for. These days women in US and UK basically have that, but there are underlying inequalities still if you look hard enough. But now it just sounds like a bunch of whining :erm: Whereas in developing and 3rd world countries in Latin America, Africa and Asia of course, as well as theological societies all over the world, women still aren't allowed to do basic things, and their families often carry these thoughts from these countries to western countries when they immigrate. So 3rd world feminism is where all the focus needs to be.
At first before it became so radicalised I was all for it. But since it's given itself such a bad name, I really hate it when people use me believing in equality and being a so called feminist against me. Because that's what it has become, an insult. It no longer focuses on prominent issues of equality and chooses to focus on why women should be allowed to walk around in public with our tops off without getting raped. Of course that should be the case but it won't ever be and yes it's sad but there are women who get raped in other countries without walking around without tops on and their society thinks it's okay. It's become utterly ridiculous and I am ashamed to say I ever was involved in it because of the stigma it now has attached to it.

Too few people realise the true meaning and why it started out in the first place, butthurt men are getting offended when women take a stand against their 'shows of affection and flattery' and it's all become something it never should have done.

Egalitarianism is the way to go but I imagine that will be ruined by small groups of radicalists too.
What was once a noble social movement focused on attaining equal rights has devolved into pedantic, self-righteous melodrama and hypocrisy.

Feminism in the 20th century: "Women should have sexual freedom and all the same rights as men!"

Feminism in the 21st centrury: "Three out of two women are raped in university every minute! Men having the same legal rights is patriarchy! That model is dressed too sexily! That man criticized my opinion - the misogyny! Affluent, educated western women are oppressed! Patriarchy! PATRIARCEH!!"

But it's all about 'equality', of course.

Latest

Trending

Trending