The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 1
i would like to know this too ?
if they are likely to have places in clearing do they tend to be more lenient ?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Ditto OP!
Depends on your course that you've chosen.
Reply 4
I have chosen engineering and I guess it should be flexible as they are always in extra and clearing for it.
Reply 5
They are flexible within a grade, in general, and I guess if you can explain why.
Reply 6
i suppose if i break my leg just before my exams they might let me off if i say the pain was unbearable !
Anannya
I have chosen engineering and I guess it should be flexible as they are always in extra and clearing for it.

Then you have quite a high chance of being accepted. I know a few people back a few years ago that got into those kind of courses with mediocre grades even though their offer was around ABB I think... As long as you don't achieve grades like DDE or something then you should be fine. But there are times when people with mediocre grades were rejected even if the course is unpopular.
Will depend upon the strength of your personal statement, and whether or not the course is popular. Like hakkashinhwauk said, some people are rejected with mediocre grades even on an unpopular course, probably because their personal statement's sucked!

Two of my friends were offered BBB for Biology though, and got in with ABC and BBC, so there is always hope, but best to be sure and make sure you get the required grades. Work your arse off, trust me it is worth it in the end!!
Reply 9
how popular is spanish with italian (same reason)
Reply 10
I've known people who haven't got onto their course even with the correct conditional grades, i am doing computation and i needed 3 B's to get on, i got A,B and a C and i still managed to get in
Reply 11
ricc
I've known people who haven't got onto their course even with the correct conditional grades

What??!
i was offered ABB last year but i got ABC:eek: , i gave them a call on the results day. they were like yeah ... u r fine. and i am in :biggrin:
Reply 13
ricc
I've known people who haven't got onto their course even with the correct conditional grades, i am doing computation and i needed 3 B's to get on, i got A,B and a C and i still managed to get in

Surely that is against the rules of UCAS.
Reply 14
ricc

Sorry, that's impossible. If they've made you a conditional offer and you've achieved or exceeded the grades requried, they are obliged by contract (i.e. the UCAS form) to give you a place.
Reply 15
The Lad
Sorry, that's impossible. If they've made you a conditional offer and you've achieved or exceeded the grades requried, they are obliged by contract (i.e. the UCAS form) to give you a place.

Can anyone back me up on this please?
Reply 16
The Lad
Can anyone back me up on this please?

Yeah you are right. There is no way any university can reject you if you have the right grades or also above what they demanded. It's impossible for them to do so. What might have happened is sometimes a certain course is so demanding that even if you get, lets say they asked for ABB and you got ABB, and they get applicants with grades like AAA or AAB and can fill near about all seats with such grades, you will get rejected. In that case you really can't blame manchester or any other university because obviously if a course is in demand they will attract the highest applicants and then the university can pick the best.

Also if the course is demand and your offer was ABB and you missed a B for one mark and someone else did not they will take the latter. Sounds pretty heart wrenching but that's how it is:rolleyes:.Again that applies to all universities not just manchester. But if they have offered you ABB and you got ABB they are bound by law to take you :smile:.

:tee:
Reply 17
same here, i needed AAB, got BBB, phoned up and sensed the woman was laughing at me for checking if i was in :p: same thing for a mate (same AAB) but got BBC and still got in
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending