The Student Room Group

To do exchange or not?

Hey!
I am currently in my second year of a four year LLB. I have the option to go on exchange for the whole of my third year and I'm really interested, but also have some reservations.

We have some great partners (Austin Texas, Leuven, Lucerne, Singapore) and I think it would be a wonderful experience but I'm worried if I'm abroad I'll be missing out on potential careers advice in third year when everyone is applying for vacation schemes. I'm sure I could do it abroad, but I'm worried they won't want to interview me if I'm not there in person.

Also, going abroad in third year means my degree classification is based only on my final (fourth) year, where I would take 2 courses and a dissertation based on something I studied abroad. I wonder if it is a big risk to let everything hang on one year, or whether it is a good thing because I only have to work really hard that one year?

Any thoughts?
Original post by Ambry
Hey!
I am currently in my second year of a four year LLB. I have the option to go on exchange for the whole of my third year and I'm really interested, but also have some reservations.

We have some great partners (Austin Texas, Leuven, Lucerne, Singapore) and I think it would be a wonderful experience but I'm worried if I'm abroad I'll be missing out on potential careers advice in third year when everyone is applying for vacation schemes. I'm sure I could do it abroad, but I'm worried they won't want to interview me if I'm not there in person.

Also, going abroad in third year means my degree classification is based only on my final (fourth) year, where I would take 2 courses and a dissertation based on something I studied abroad. I wonder if it is a big risk to let everything hang on one year, or whether it is a good thing because I only have to work really hard that one year?

Any thoughts?

Definitely go.

Careers events occur every year; this opportunity doesn't.
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
Definitely go.

Careers events occur every year; this opportunity doesn't.

That is what I am thinking too. I have already started going to open days for firms this year and I am aware we have access to the careers service abroad. I talked to some people who went to Copenhagen and Vienna and they did manage to get vacation schemes and one now has a training contract with CMS, so I guess it didn't disadvantage them.

Just worried about my degree class to be honest, but hey if I was going to do well in third year I'll probably do well in my fourth.
YES.

You'll have an advantage (experience) that other Law graduates may not.
Reply 4
Original post by thecatwithnohat
YES.

You'll have an advantage (experience) that other Law graduates may not.

Would it be better to stay at home and maybe get committee positions in societies though?
do it
Original post by Ambry
Would it be better to stay at home and maybe get committee positions in societies though?

Do that this year.
Reply 7
Original post by Ambry
Hey!

Any thoughts?

If it's a four year course I suggest doing the exchange, having an amazing time and doing all the careers stuff you mention in your final year - that's what I did and it worked out just fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending