The Student Room Group

Can I study Law?

Can I still study law at sixth form because I did not take Geography OR History as GCSE and i've heard I need one of them to study law. Is it still possible for me to study law or I have to choose another career?
Where to start.

Okay, firstly you do not need to study law at sixth form to get onto a law degree.

Secondly, you do not need a law degree to become a lawyer.

Thirdly, whether or not there are any pre-requisites to study law at sixth form depends upon your sixth form. In principle you do not need to have studied anything in particular.
I definitely hadn't studied either of those at GCSE, and I can't see why anywhere would request that, as I can't even think of many transferable skills from those subjects. The only thing my sixth form say is that a Grade B in English is preferred, but even that isn't a fixed requirement.
Reply 3
Original post by TheYearNiner
Can I still study law at sixth form because I did not take Geography OR History as GCSE and i've heard I need one of them to study law. Is it still possible for me to study law or I have to choose another career?

It depends completely on your school but I haven't heard of any schools that require you to study those GCSES to do law a level! they just ask that you have English at grade B So Im pretty sure you can study it and still do well? :smile:x
I certainly didn't do any of those subjects at GCSE and I am currently studying a level law. Most sixth forms usually just require you to have mostly B's and above at GCSE - well my sixth form did however this isn't the same for everywhere! University's only ask you to have a GCSE in maths and English language along with 3 other subjects (any subjects!!) .
Original post by Emilythorb
I certainly didn't do any of those subjects at GCSE and I am currently studying a level law. Most sixth forms usually just require you to have mostly B's and above at GCSE - well my sixth form did however this isn't the same for everywhere! University's only ask you to have a GCSE in maths and English language along with 3 other subjects (any subjects!!) .

Thanks, I have a question about Law - what kind of careers can I do with law, is it only a lawyer or much more? Sorry for asking but I am new to this :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by TheYearNiner
Thanks, I have a question about Law - what kind of careers can I do with law, is it only a lawyer or much more? Sorry for asking but I am new to this :biggrin:

With a law degree (LLB)? It is completely transferable. You can do so much with it because the skills that are taught are incredibly useful. Less than half of law graduates actually go on and qualify as barristers or solicitors. I have friends that have landed great graduate schemes including, Trust Officer at Coutts (private banking), ASOS, Manchester Airport, Radobank, all sorts of legal work that doesn't require you to qualify as a solicitor, many have gone onto masters degrees in other subjects. The list goes on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending