The Student Room Group

Feelings on death?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
People fear the way they will die, not death itself.
Reply 81
Original post by Swindle
People fear the way they will die, not death itself.

not quite sure how you come to that conclusion?
Reply 82
Original post by djj
not quite sure how you come to that conclusion?

How is it possible to fear death? It's like trying to fear being born.
Reply 83
Original post by Swindle
How is it possible to fear death? It's like trying to fear being born.

Well it's certainly possible, many people aren't sure what does exactly happen when we die.

I get what you're saying, you think it's illogical to fear death? Which is fair enough. Some would disagree, especially religious people.

I sort of know what you mean though; as I've said on the thread hardly anyone would want to live forever so I believe a lot of tensions we have about dying is to do with being unhappy with the way we are living. This was certainly the case for me
Reply 84
Original post by djj
Well it's certainly possible, many people aren't sure what does exactly happen when we die.

I get what you're saying, you think it's illogical to fear death? Which is fair enough. Some would disagree, especially religious people.

I sort of know what you mean though; as I've said on the thread hardly anyone would want to live forever so I believe a lot of tensions we have about dying is to do with being unhappy with the way we are living. This was certainly the case for me

The whole concept of life extending beyond death is something created to feed our ego. People can't accept the idea of not existing and concept of an afterlife/heaven satisfies the desire for continual existence.
Personally, I'm ok with everything ending with death. It's a far more peaceful conclusion than going to heaven or rebirth.
Reply 85
Original post by Swindle
The whole concept of life extending beyond death is something created to feed our ego. People can't accept the idea of not existing and concept of an afterlife/heaven satisfies the desire for continual existence.
Personally, I'm ok with everything ending with death. It's a far more peaceful conclusion than going to heaven or rebirth.

Well that's fair enough you think that but still doesn't prove your point that it isn't possible to fear death.
Reply 86
Original post by djj
Well that's fair enough you think that but still doesn't prove your point that it isn't possible to fear death.

You can only fear it if you can experience it.
Reply 87
Original post by Swindle
You can only fear it if you can experience it.

Again that isn't correct. Plenty of people fear death.

Right or wrong they do.
Reply 88
Original post by djj
Again that isn't correct. Plenty of people fear death.

Right or wrong they do.

No, I disagree, they fear the process of dying and attribute those feelings to fearing death. To actually fear death, you'd have be alive during death.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm not too bothered about death as it's likely an afterlife doesn't exist, in which case you won't even be able to experience oblivion or nothingness. And if an afterlife does exist, it won't be one proposed by religions such as Christianity and Islam.

Does the idea of absolute oblivion not scare you though? The idea of ceasing to exist totally petrifies me if I think about it for too long. It's almost certainly because I can't actually imagine nothingness.
Original post by jsMath
Why is death terrifying if there isn't life after death?

What if there exist another life, how would that world look like?

What are the laws that governs the next world if it exists?

These were my questions. Sometimes direct experiences are the best answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
How do people feel about death? I feel like most people avoid this question, even when an answer to how they feel on it is given it's like they don't want to dwell on it for long. Surely it's important to? I love existing and being able to experience stuff - for example, catching the yearly flu. I'm just glad I'm alive. But what shocks me is most people state they accept death. But do you really? It's logical to assume it will happen to everyone eventually. But are people really satisfied with this?

What are you feeling on death? your thoughts? What you believe comes after?

The thought of being dead is comforting, which probably sounds a bit suicidal but I don't mean in that way. When I think about all of the things that frighten me and make me feel awful in life I feel grateful that one day I'll never be subjected to feeling that way ever again, and conversely I also feel grateful that I ever got the chance to feel such pain, because, it's cliched, but isn't it the epitome of being alive? Life can be violent and brutal and indifferent to everything you want, and it's something everyone has to go through. It's like equality on a whole different level, although people will try to claim a higher position after death.

Dying terrifies me, however. The thought that I may be aware that I'm going to die even though I've still got things to do, and people I love to leave behind without saying goodbye makes me feel horrifically helpless. It makes me want to lock everyone I love into a room and never let them go anywhere or get hurt. That'd be silly, though.
:h:
It doesn't surprise me that people seem satisfied with it, what else can you do but accept it?
Original post by pineneedles
The thought of being dead is comforting, which probably sounds a bit suicidal but I don't mean in that way. When I think about all of the things that frighten me and make me feel awful in life I feel grateful that one day I'll never be subjected to feeling that way ever again, and conversely I also feel grateful that I ever got the chance to feel such pain, because, it's cliched, but isn't it the epitome of being alive? Life can be violent and brutal and indifferent to everything you want, and it's something everyone has to go through. It's like equality on a whole different level, although people will try to claim a higher position after death.

Dying terrifies me, however. The thought that I may be aware that I'm going to die even though I've still got things to do, and people I love to leave behind without saying goodbye makes me feel horrifically helpless. It makes me want to lock everyone I love into a room and never let them go anywhere or get hurt. That'd be silly, though.
:h:
It doesn't surprise me that people seem satisfied with it, what else can you do but accept it?

That was a very good response. Touched everything I thought of when considering death. The reasoning also made complete sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending