The Student Room Group

Topic recommendation

I'm about to do choose my GCSE topics but I'm not sure what to choose. I'm interested in being a chartered accountant and any advice or topic recommendation will be great.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It doesn't really matter what you choose for GCSE, because they make you keep the important subjects. GCSE's are just about getting into sixth form :smile: if you want specific advice Pm me what your school options are because every school does it differently.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
These are the topics I have to choose from: GERMAN, DRAMA, ART, SPANISH, BUSINESS STUDIES, DESIGN, GEOGRAPHY, MUSIC, HISTORY,RELIGIOUS STUDIES, COMPUTING, FOOD TECHNOLOGY, SPORTS SCIENCE.
How many can you choose?
Definitely do German.
Reply 5
Original post by Aniiforever
How many can you choose?

I've got to choose a minimum of 4
Original post by Jawsh27
I'm about to do choose my GCSE topics but I'm not sure what to choose. I'm interested in being a chartered accountant and any advice or topic recommendation will be great.

Hi there, one thing that I would say (I know it sounds silly but a lot of people didn't do this) is make sure the subjects you do now are ones you will want to do at a-level. A-levels are a long way off for you but they are much harder than GCSEs so you really want to be doing subjects at that level that you enjoy so pick wisely!

My GCSE subjects were the core ones (English maths and triple science), French, art, history, PE, ICT and astronomy. I also did English lit, english language, PE and Fine art at a-level so if you want to PM me for any help on those specific subjects now or in the future, feel free!

Good luck, follow your passion and you will succeed.
Reply 7
Original post by A.Van-Ellison
Hi there, one thing that I would say (I know it sounds silly but a lot of people didn't do this) is make sure the subjects you do now are ones you will want to do at a-level. A-levels are a long way off for you but they are much harder than GCSEs so you really want to be doing subjects at that level that you enjoy so pick wisely!

My GCSE subjects were the core ones (English maths and triple science), French, art, history, PE, ICT and astronomy. I also did English lit, english language, PE and Fine art at a-level so if you want to PM me for any help on those specific subjects now or in the future, feel free!

Good luck, follow your passion and you will succeed.

Could u recommend any topics I should take?
Reply 8
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Definitely do German.

I'm not really good at German, could u suggest some other ones?
Our school made us do a language and humanity as this looks good to do but I think it mainly depends on what subjects you like as you have to do them for 2 or 3 years. What are your favourite subjects at the moment?
Reply 10
Original post by Student232
Our school made us do a language and humanity as this looks good to do but I think it mainly depends on what subjects you like as you have to do them for 2 or 3 years. What are your favourite subjects at the moment?

I want to do business studies (we have not done it before) but people say its too tough and others say its worth doing. I'm not sure. And I've decided to do Religious studies
Original post by Jawsh27
I want to do business studies (we have not done it before) but people say its too tough and others say its worth doing. I'm not sure. And I've decided to do Religious studies

I didn't do business studies but my friend did and she really enjoyed it and now does it for a level. I think there is one really hard test which is multiple choice but you have to get like 39/40 to get an A* but I don't think the rest was meant to be that hard.

RS is good, its quite easy, so that will give you more time to work on business studies if you find that really hard. Didn't you say you have to pick 4? What other subjects are you considering?
Reply 12
Original post by Student232
I didn't do business studies but my friend did and she really enjoyed it and now does it for a level. I think there is one really hard test which is multiple choice but you have to get like 39/40 to get an A* but I don't think the rest was meant to be that hard.

RS is good, its quite easy, so that will give you more time to work on business studies if you find that really hard. Didn't you say you have to pick 4? What other subjects are you considering?

I'm not sure what 2 other subjects to chose. Could u recommend some? I might do art because im quite good and my teacher suggested me to do it, but just in case, i need a back up subject
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jawsh27
I'm not sure what 2 other subjects to chose. Could u recommend some? I might do art because im quite good and my teacher suggested me to do it, but just in case, i need a back up subject

Well I did Geography, Music, Italian and Statistics at GCSE as my options and I also had to do RS and ICT as they were part of the core subjects when I took my options. I really enjoyed Geography and the exams weren't that bad, I had friends who did History and loved it but I think it was harder for them as History is more of an essay based subject, so the exams were harder. However I think that depends if you prefer exams like science and maths or essay exams like English.

I didn't like Italian but I think that it is good to do a language as it looks good, so it might be worth you taking Spanish or German (does your school not offer French?). Then maybe choose a more enjoyable subject to give yourself a break like I chose Music. However subjects like Music, Art and Drama are generally heavy coursework so if you don't get it done they could become the most stressful subject. I think it depends whether you like them subjects as well. Hope this helps.
Original post by Jawsh27
These are the topics I have to choose from: GERMAN, DRAMA, ART, SPANISH, BUSINESS STUDIES, DESIGN, GEOGRAPHY, MUSIC, HISTORY,RELIGIOUS STUDIES, COMPUTING, FOOD TECHNOLOGY, SPORTS SCIENCE.
If I had to choose a minimum of 4 and and I wanted to be an accountant, I would go for computing, that would be an essential one for me. If you are not doing a language I would recommend u to do one, most universities look high upon a language. Spanish would be a good Option. Business studies and RS perhaps.
Reply 15
Original post by Aniiforever
If I had to choose a minimum of 4 and and I wanted to be an accountant, I would go for computing, that would be an essential one for me. If you are not doing a language I would recommend u to do one, most universities look high upon a language. Spanish would be a good Option. Business studies and RS perhaps.

Im not really good at languages and isn't computing a part of business studies
Do a language (Spanish i find easier personally) and do a humanity (geography is pretty much agrees as a billion times easier but just as respected) other then that do what you enjoy :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jawsh27
Im not really good at languages and isn't computing a part of business studies

Yes it is hard to learn a language but if you do it will benefit you a lot in the future
Original post by Jawsh27
Could u recommend any topics I should take?
ll

Well that's difficult for me to say. But it's often good to do a range, keep your options as open as possible. Also look at how many exams you have to take. I was lucky with what I chose as I only had 22 exams for 12 GCSEs, that sounds like a lot but I know others who have the same amount of GCSE's as me but had to take 28 exams because of the subjects they took. If exams aren't your thing avoid exam heavy subjects, ie if you want to do a humanity and your torn between history and geography (like I was) on my spec history was 2 exams but geography was 4 so I did history!

Do something you like, I went to a language academy so it was compulsory to do a a language, I just did French thinking it was the easiest and yeah I got a good grade but I didn't enjoy it that much and wished I had done something different. Only you know what your passion is so try and think about what you like. Don't necessarily let your year 9 experiences give a negative judgement either. I disliked history in year nine but took it at GCSE knowing I loved the subject and got on really well at GCSE.
Reply 19
Does anyone know anything about the new GCSE's (1-9 instead of the past grades)?

Quick Reply

Latest