The Student Room Group

In a bit of a dilemma...

Basically, I like this girl (person A) I've meet recently at uni. She broke up with her boyfriend recently. We have gotten fairly close and get along really well.

On a night out, she told me she really likes one of my friends (person B), which I can deal with personally.

Person B was in a committed relationship, so I was not worried that something might happen between them.

I then told person B that person A likes them. He kinda brushed it off. However, person B literally just broke up with their girlfriend. Now he is asking if person A has said anything about him in the last few days, to which I replied no (which is the truth. I've told him all person A told me).

Now I am in a situation where I have two choices:

1) I could tell person A that person B is single.

This would most likely result in them getting together. As we all have to be quite close all year, I don't know if I would be okay with this relationship happening right in front of me...

2) I could stay quiet and say nothing.

Knowing person B, he'll probably make a move anyway. The point is that I didn't assist him and then later think to myself "I've just played Cupid and given the girl I like to one of my mates"

I'm not really interested in entering a love triangle. If they end up together then it's whatever. But I somehow feel obliged to set them up as they are both great people.

Also, when I initially told person B about person A, person B asked me:

"Do you want her?"

To which I replied not really. Only because if a girl says she is interested in one of your friends, chances are she is not romantically interested in you.

So, what do I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Larry Hvr Da 3rd
Basically, I like this girl (person A) I've meet recently at uni. She broke up with her boyfriend recently. We have gotten fairly close and get along really well.

On a night out, she told me she really likes one of my friends (person B), which I can deal with personally.

Person B was in a committed relationship, so I was not worried that something might happen between them.

I then told person B that person A likes them. He kinda brushed it off. However, person B literally just broke up with their girlfriend. Now he is asking if person A has said anything about him in the last few days, to which I replied no (which is the truth. I've told him all person A told me).

Now I am in a situation where I have two choices:

1) I could tell person A that person B is single.

This would most likely result in them getting together. As we all have to be quite close all year, I don't know if I would be okay with this relationship happening right in front of me...

2) I could stay quiet and say nothing.

Knowing person B, he'll probably make a move anyway. The point is that I didn't assist him and then later think to myself "I've just played Cupid and given the girl I like to one of my mates"

I'm not really interested in entering a love triangle. If they end up together then it's whatever. But I somehow feel obliged to set them up as they are both great people.

Also, when I initially told person B about person A, person B asked me:

"Do you want her?"

To which I replied not really. Only because if a girl says she is interested in one of your friends, chances are she is not romantically interested in you.

So, what do I do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thing is, if person B finds out the truth and person A goes out with you (might be a long shot, might be a sure thing), then it could very well end up you losing a mate.
I wouldn't go behind anyone's back because, that could SERIOUSLY cause a lot of problems...

So, I would tell the truth should person A ask about person B's interest in A. =l

For future reference, I think it would be easier to understand if you gave person A and B a name (fake obviously) i.e. Jack and Jill. =l

EDIT:
Although, I would STRONGLY recommend you let them know how you feel too.
I've done this before with people and it hasn't affected friendships on my account before at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the advice. However, doesn't it seem wrong if I let both of them know how I feel? As in person B was considerate enough to ask me if I liked her. Now he is interested (and available) and it would then appear like I am back tracking. If I were in his position, I wouldn't appreciate my friend doing that to me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So, my analysis, if Person A told you she fancies Person B then it pretty much means she's ruled you out as a love interest. The best bet is to stop thinking about hypothetical scenarios and to seek someone who fancies the pants off you instead.
Original post by Zarek
So, my analysis, if Person A told you she fancies Person B then it pretty much means she's ruled you out as a love interest. The best bet is to stop thinking about hypothetical scenarios and to seek someone who fancies the pants off you instead.

Hmmm. I agree with you. I'm a "Go with the flow" kinda guy. I'm not gonna force anything. I mean I've just met person A. I'd rather keep a good friend. We'll see what happens I guess...

Posted from TSR Mobile
A bit of an update if anyone is interested.SO, I left both person A and B to it. We've been out together a lot lately on socials and that and I encourage them to get together. However, last night, we were all out clubbing and person B tried making a move on person A (tried to kiss her). I briefly saw it and was like cool, I know what's happening and can move on. Yet when I quizzed Person B on what happened, he told me there was no spark or didn’t feel like anything was going to happen.On top of that, Person A really seemed stuck to me the entire night. At pre drinks, on the way there, in the club. Laughing at all my jokes, trying to dance with me etc. Even when I tried to leave A and B together she would always seek me out...What the **** do I do now? I honestly do not know what the right move forward is...

Quick Reply

Latest