The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If that's your preference it's up to you.
However, it isn't necessary for you to publicise it as its kind of rude to say to guys ' I won't date you because you're not 6ft+*
Tbh I had preferences too.. But when you come across someone that's really nice, and has an amazing personality
You don't stick to the criteria
But everybody is different

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I only date girls below 140 pounds. If you meet my criteria pm me your number.
lol 5"7 is small sos
Reply 4
No: 'shallow' would be only dating men below six inches.
The Urban Dictionary define shallow as:

"Judging a person based strictly on looks, not factoring in their personality whatsoever"

So, if you see their height as a deal-breaker, regardless of their personality etc, then yes, you are shallow.
Yeah, but oh well. Basically you are shallow for not dating some for something they can't change about their physically appearance.
(edited 8 years ago)
personality ??? a guy could be tall but have a crap personality....but I can see how it might be awkward for you to date someone that's the same height or shorter than you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe but wtf are you gonna do about it? It's not like you can force a change in your preferences.
I'm 5' 6" in Imperial, or 167cm in Metric. Since you used Imperial, and I'm an American, I'm just going to assume you understand Imperial measurements for the rest of this post. Let me know if you need a conversion.

It seems that you're taller than me. Well, you might be shallow, but you might also be insecure. I mean, maybe your aversion to dating shorter men is because you don't want to stand out as being a tall girl. The average woman is around 5' 2", or 5' 4" at most, so you're pretty tall. The average man is actually closer to 5' 10" or 5' 8", so you're looking for men who are taller than average.

I mean, I'd personally be more inclined to judge people on other qualities, but I think that if that's what you value in a man, then you should pursue that quality and not feel ashamed. If being deep and intellectual isn't who you are, then that's fine.
Original post by jeremy1988
If being deep and intellectual isn't who you are, then that's fine.

:rofl:
Reply 11
I'm 5' 6" in Imperial, or 167cm in Metric. Since you used Imperial, and I'm an American, I'm just going to assume you understand Imperial measurements for the rest of this post. Let me know if you need a conversion.

It seems that you're taller than me. Well, you might be shallow, but you might also be insecure. I mean, maybe your aversion to dating shorter men is because you don't want to stand out as being a tall girl. The average woman is around 5' 2", or 5' 4" at most, so you're pretty tall. The average man is actually closer to 5' 10" or 5' 8", so you're looking for men who are taller than average.

I mean, I'd personally be more inclined to judge people on other qualities, but I think that if that's what you value in a man, then you should pursue that quality and not feel ashamed. If being deep and intellectual isn't who you are, then that's fine.

Or maybe she values that in a man AND is both deep and intellectual. What's to say the two are mutually exclusive? Because they sure as hell aren't.
Original post by boqor
Or maybe she values that in a man AND is both deep and intellectual. What's to say the two are mutually exclusive? Because they sure as hell aren't.

Well, generally people that make their decisions about potential partners on the basis of physical rather than emotional or mental qualities are not regarded as being very deep or thoughtful people.

It's not wrong to be that way, in fact I think it's normal for people to focus on visual cues. It's just that when you're doing what comes naturally and following instincts or social conventions, then what you're doing isn't exactly intellectual, thoughtful, or sentimental. And therefore, it isn't deep by any stretch of the imagination.

It's possible that she is more deep and intellectual in other areas of her life, but when it comes to this one, she's not. But like I said, not everyone has to be deep. I think people who prefer conventional or instinctive relational styles should be free to pursue their preferences. People can't help how they feel, and they shouldn't have to do so.

But I don't think they can reasonably expect to be seen as deep or intellectual individuals when they advertise these preferences to people who care more about things like personality, common interests, and intellect.

I really think that people who value those things should associate with other people who also value those things, so as to avoid judgments of superficiality or shallowness. Only people who don't make their decisions on such a basis would see her preference as shallow. Others would just see it as conventional.

It's one thing to say someone has a right to express and act on their preferences, but to claim they deserve to be praised for qualities they've essentially admitted they don't possess doesn't make sense.

I can easily compliment her on being an honest individual and being concerned about morals. She shouldn't be, because there's nothing inherently immoral about judging someone based on their appearance.

But she didn't ask whether it was moral or whether it was okay. She specifically asked if it was shallow, and the kind of people that think of things in terms of deep and shallow would likely say that it is shallow. That doesn't mean she has to value their opinion or feel guilty, though.

My tone probably isn't coming across very well though writing, I probably sound much more condescending or sarcastic than I intended to. But I'm serious.
Yes.

HA! You name is Rimmer.
Reply 14
It's shallow. But it's up to you who you date if that's your preference
I don't date girls above 5'6 :/
Original post by Proxenus
I don't date girls above 5'6 :/

I don't date girl below 5'8. So I guess the OP of the thread wouldn't be for me. I like them taller than me. I am 5'8. :biggrin:
I wouldn't date a large girl and most guys wouldn't too and don't like to admit it but Just like some women only date guys who are over a certain height or body type

Nah this isn't right, I cannot agree. The average woman in the UK / America (I cba to look it up) is around 5 foot 7 last time I checked. It is definitely not as short as 5 foot 2, that was decades ago, people in general are much taller now due to better diets and such. The average man is around 5 foot 9, I agree there.

I think it is okay to partially base who you date based on their height, I mean why not. However, you should also take into account other factors as well such as personality clearly. And this is coming from someone who does meet your criteria at 6 1 xD.

Personally I don't care how tall they are provided the girl isn't like 5 10+, that would scare me.
People can't help what they're attracted to. If you like tall you like tall. If you like skinny you like skinny, if you like fat you like fat. It's all okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending