The Student Room Group

Changing university after a foundation year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fairplaytoyou
That's awesome!

I got offers from Brighton, Sussex and Portsmouth all at 60% so I firmed Sussex :smile:

Hey, gotten into Sussex or your firm yet? I'm so happy and surprised, got firmly accepted by Leeds today 🤗
So I don't have to stress or worry about it now, was focusing on making sure I got accepted by Sussex cause didn't think Leeds accepted, Sussex were making it so long just to accept my grades. Good luck on getting in, let me know how everything goes x
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by fairplaytoyou
That's awesome!

I got offers from Brighton, Sussex and Portsmouth all at 60% so I firmed Sussex :smile:

Hi! I’m currently studying Foundation year in Computer Science with average grades and want to move to Brighton Uni for Year 1. I don’t have Alevels but only GCSEs with C’s in all the subjects. Is there a possibility of me getting any offers? Should I just give up or is it worth trying? And any advice for me? Thanks!
Hey, I know what you're going through so dw and yes there is Hope! I advise you keep your options open, unless you're dead set on getting into Brighton. Basically I'm not sure if the fact I had Alevels, including one in maths (even tho my results were poor helped) But basically the best way to go about applying would be to email the universities admission team or call up. Tell them your situation and send a copy of the syllabus for your foundation year and show them that it is similar to the first year syllabus for that specific university (if it is) If you're lucky they'll say that your application would be considered, or they'd give you conditional offer.Then it's just a case of you going through the UCAS application for applying to university. Ngl tho you've left it very very late, usually the deadline is in January or something. I'd still try but it doesn't look great, as I'm not sure they're still accepting applications. Good luck.
Reply 43
Original post by Kenshinhimura
Hey, I know what you're going through so dw and yes there is Hope! I advise you keep your options open, unless you're dead set on getting into Brighton. Basically I'm not sure if the fact I had Alevels, including one in maths (even tho my results were poor helped) But basically the best way to go about applying would be to email the universities admission team or call up. Tell them your situation and send a copy of the syllabus for your foundation year and show them that it is similar to the first year syllabus for that specific university (if it is) If you're lucky they'll say that your application would be considered, or they'd give you conditional offer.Then it's just a case of you going through the UCAS application for applying to university. Ngl tho you've left it very very late, usually the deadline is in January or something. I'd still try but it doesn't look great, as I'm not sure they're still accepting applications. Good luck.

Oh! I probably don’t have a chance then haha.... anyways thank you so much!
Original post by Byun.B
Oh! I probably don’t have a chance then haha.... anyways thank you so much!

Is the course showing as open to applications on ucas course search?
Reply 45
Original post by PQ
Is the course showing as open to applications on ucas course search?

Yes!
I'm currently doing a foundation year in computer science at apretty low ranking university (mid 80's) and would like to transferto a better one after I've completed the foundation year. Ideally I would like to transfer to one in the top 40 or a London uni such as Brunel/Royal Holloway or City. I have fair idea on how I'd go about doing this, but what I'd like to ask is has anyone got experience on doing this and has anyone been successful in doing it? Which unis are more lenient or more likely to consider students who want to transfer after foundation year? How important are my A-levels in terms of them considering me? When would be the best time to contact universities I'm interested in ( shall I wait until I've actually done a test or module at my current uni so I can use it and get a reference) Also I've just started so maybe I should wait? Will top unis reject me based on the fact I'm currently studying at a low ranked uni? Really just need some advice on the matter, thank you in advance.P.S I read a thread where someone transferred to Sussex after a foundation year in the same subject area I'm studying. Can anyone tell me if Sussex is known for allowing people in my situation, thank you.

What uni did you study your foundation year at?
Original post by anonest
What uni did you study your foundation year at?

I studied my foundation year at Middlesex University, however I'm now going into my third year at Uni of Leeds though
Reply 48
Hey, gotten into Sussex or your firm yet? I'm so happy and surprised, got firmly accepted by Leeds today 🤗
So I don't have to stress or worry about it now, was focusing on making sure I got accepted by Sussex cause didn't think Leeds accepted, Sussex were making it so long just to accept my grades. Good luck on getting in, let me know how everything goes x

Did they require your A level grades?
Original post by Melika m

I applied over 2 years ago (scroll back in thread if you want to see my posts) so it’s tough to remember but it’s through UCAS so I reckon they do require them!

You need to declare any grades you have

I was just wondering if the UCAS deadline for the 15th of jan applies. Therefore, would i have to email the universities i was wondering about in november? It seems pretty early seeing as you don't sit your first exams until around January time

Original post by ahmbiology

I was just wondering if the UCAS deadline for the 15th of jan applies. Therefore, would i have to email the universities i was wondering about in november? It seems pretty early seeing as you don't sit your first exams until around January time

It does - do you have any small pieces of coursework you will have completed? Otherwise, if your lecturer can give you a glowing reference that's also good
I'm currently doing a foundation year in computer science at apretty low ranking university (mid 80's) and would like to transferto a better one after I've completed the foundation year. Ideally I would like to transfer to one in the top 40 or a London uni such as Brunel/Royal Holloway or City. I have fair idea on how I'd go about doing this, but what I'd like to ask is has anyone got experience on doing this and has anyone been successful in doing it? Which unis are more lenient or more likely to consider students who want to transfer after foundation year? How important are my A-levels in terms of them considering me? When would be the best time to contact universities I'm interested in ( shall I wait until I've actually done a test or module at my current uni so I can use it and get a reference) Also I've just started so maybe I should wait? Will top unis reject me based on the fact I'm currently studying at a low ranked uni? Really just need some advice on the matter, thank you in advance.P.S I read a thread where someone transferred to Sussex after a foundation year in the same subject area I'm studying. Can anyone tell me if Sussex is known for allowing people in my situation, thank you.

Im in a similar situation, i want to do accounting and finance foundation year at city, then transfer to leeds after my foundation year. i know they look at your A level results but how important are they? What a level results did you get? I got DDC, im considering retaking, also do you apply the same time as you would in January if you were applying during your last year at college, if so then have you done any foundation year tests by then to show them what you're capable of?
It’s definately possible. I did my foundation year at Royal Holloway last year as I got appalling A-Levels but I achieved pretty high marks in my foundation year so I transferred uni to Nottingham and will be doing Management BSc this September,
Reply 55
Original post by kc0327
It’s definately possible. I did my foundation year at Royal Holloway last year as I got appalling A-Levels but I achieved pretty high marks in my foundation year so I transferred uni to Nottingham and will be doing Management BSc this September,

Did they still look at your A levels ?
Did they still look at your A levels ?

Yeah they do. Both A-Levels and IGCSE so I was pretty surprised when they gave me a offer although I scored 85% in my foundation year. However, keep in mind I completed a International Foundation Year so if you are a local UK resident you won’t be able to partake the course.
Hi I am doing my foundation year this year and I would really like to change universities next year, thank you for this thread because it has given me hope. Can I ask a few questions as I am unsure what to do:s-smilie:hould I call the universities admissions department and ask if they will accept me?Do I have to reapply through UCAS using new references if a uni says that they will consider my application? So I can not use my last year references?Thank you for your time if you are able to answer this :smile:
Original post by workoverload
Hi I am doing my foundation year this year and I would really like to change universities next year, thank you for this thread because it has given me hope. Can I ask a few questions as I am unsure what to do:s-smilie:hould I call the universities admissions department and ask if they will accept me?Do I have to reapply through UCAS using new references if a uni says that they will consider my application? So I can not use my last year references?Thank you for your time if you are able to answer this :smile:

Hi, I'm in the same situation. I have an offer for an engineering foundation year at Surrey but would like to transfer to Liverpool or Sheffield because I would like to do the Aerospace + pilot studies course. What uni's did you apply to and did you get n?
Original post by Yannick.
Hi, I'm in the same situation. I have an offer for an engineering foundation year at Surrey but would like to transfer to Liverpool or Sheffield because I would like to do the Aerospace + pilot studies course. What uni's did you apply to and did you get n?

Hi just wanted to ask if you were able to transfer after the foundation year, ive applied to do engineering foundation year at Aston or Swansea, and I would like to transfer to Sheffield. If you have transferred was it easy the process and do they look at your a level grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending