The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is it always the husband who is rich and the wife who is hot?

Whenever I see a rich couple, 99% of the time the husband is the one who has made all the money and the wife who is there as the hot trophy wife. Why is it never the other way around?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
gender pay gap, jobs that pay good (bankers/doctors etc) are normally predominantly a male type of job.
but this can change
Reply 2
Original post by glo420
gender pay gap, jobs that pay good (bankers/doctors etc) are normally predominantly a male type of job.
but this can change

Doctors seem to have a lot of women now but bankers and high up business positions do seem to prefer men
Original post by glo420
gender pay gap

Are you serious?
Bcus males are superior duh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zigglr
Whenever I see a rich couple, 99% of the time the husband is the one who has made all the money and the wife who is there as the hot trophy wife. Why is it never the other way around?

Men would rather have a good looking wife than a rich wife, and women would rather have a rich husband than a good looking one, generally speaking.

It's been that way since pretty much the beginning. In terms of evolution, the most valuable trait for men to have was the ability to hunt and provide food for the family, while the most valuable trait for women to have was the ability to produce healthy children (by being fertile and healthy herself, which would usually show in her appearance). People's attraction to the opposite sex has naturally developed with those features in (the subconscious) mind.

I think people tend to ask questions like this and be surprised about it, because they are implicitly assuming that men and women are the same. But this couldn't be further from the truth. By nature they are very different, and it shows in all kinds of statistics about them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by tazarooni89
Men would rather have a good looking wife than a rich wife, and women would rather have a rich husband than a good looking one, generally speaking.

It's been that way since pretty much the beginning. In terms of evolution, the most valuable trait for men to have was the ability to hunt and provide food for the family, while the most valuable trait for women to have was the ability to produce healthy children (by being fertile and healthy herself, which would usually show in her appearance). People's attraction to the opposite sex has naturally developed with those features in (the subconscious) mind.

One hell of a response.
Original post by steve909
One hell of a response.

Hey! What about my response

Posted from TSR Mobile
Natural selection. Women marry up. Men gain resources, women are attracted to those resources.

Mind you more left wing a country the less likely you are to see this. But my god when you go to the US (Richer parts) the man will be some middle age overweight balloon whilst the wife will be a solid young 9/10. Money talks!
Original post by Bill_Gates
Women marry up

A point which is too often omitted from the discussion.

It will be amusing to observe what happens with fewer and fewer men attending University (what are we at now? 40% of all University applicants?). The complete destruction of marriage, I presume. Men will become ever more entrenched in themselves, and we'll have a complete reversal.

Women will be alone, men will stop caring what they think when the feminist shrine - the vagina - no longer carries with it the ability to control and dictate. I can't wait. In the absence of any possibility of bringing the genders together (feminism's utopia), we've got sexbots for all!

Without sex as a motivator for just about everything they do on women's behalf (the power no-one speaks of), men will just retreat.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Are you serious?

why wouldn't i be?
In a word , Hypergammy.
Two main things are men know , even from teenagers that women attracted to wealthy men or at least good providers. . They know that in our society, if the women chooses to go part time, or even stop working altogether and become a sahm until the kids are in school, he will be expected to take up the slack and provide for them. If he didn't then people would look down on him in a way they wouldn't with her.
Feminists try to deny it but you can see it with your own eyes the world over.
So there is an inbuilt incentive for men to gain money and power that isn't there in the same way for women.
Secondly for all the guff about men not being romantic, it is rare for a man to marry for anything other than love and attraction.
Many women on the other hand are way more hard nosed about who they settle down with. I'm not saying that they don't love their ugly wealthy men, just that they dont allow themselves to get into a position where they may fall for a bin man. They may date the waster bad boys but they don't settle with them. They choose men that will provide a good living. Not all women of course, but generally.
You would think that middleclass women would be more independent and less inclined to do this but infact it's even more common amongst them.
Nothing wrong with any of this btw. As long as they are both happy with their roles what does it matter?
Original post by Bill_Gates
Natural selection. Women marry up. Men gain resources, women are attracted to those resources.

Mind you more left wing a country the less likely you are to see this. But my god when you go to the US (Richer parts) the man will be some middle age overweight balloon whilst the wife will be a solid young 9/10. Money talks!

All women marry beneath them, if they marry men :smile:

Rich men are still insecure and need to have other men envy them. It's harder for women to make money than men, it's still a man's world, so women who do manage to do so are usually intelligent enough not to need to flaunt their success. As it becomes easier for women to make money you may see a few more women with trophy husbands. However if they decide they want children the trophy husband divorces, the trophy wife doesnt have to.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11030461/Divorce-research-Marriage-to-my-toyboy-husband-ended-in-tears.html
Reply 13
Men go for looks (especially men who can afford it), and women go for social status (especially women who are good-looking enough).

But since most men are not rich and most women are not 9/10, it's just a curiosity for the rest of us. We have to settle for personality. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by llys
But since most men are not rich and most women are not 9/10, it's just a curiosity for the rest of us.

A depressing thought... :redface:
Reply 15
Original post by zyzzyspirit
A depressing thought... :redface:

See my edit. :wink:
It's harder for women to climb the pay/position ladder as they have to take time out to have children, which continuously leaves gaps in their cv's/they get overlooked for promotions. Men don't have that issue, so tend to get more/faster promotions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Men can focus on their careers LT, whereas women have a more hormonal attraction to setting up a family and having children, or the desire to work xx hours might not appeal and they prefer a better work life balance
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Men can focus on their careers LT, whereas women have a more hormonal attraction to setting up a family and having children, or the desire to work xx hours might not appeal and they prefer a better work life balance

I wouldn't call it a hormonal attraction anymore. Majority of couples discuss the prospect of starting a family and make that choice together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by eshdentist
It's harder for women to climb the pay/position ladder as they have to take time out to have children, which continuously leaves gaps in their cv's/they get overlooked for promotions. Men don't have that issue, so tend to get more/faster promotions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That and the fact that they choose easier , non stem, lower paying careers.
Nothing wrong with that , its their choice.

Latest

Trending

Trending