The Student Room Group

Study : White people believes that they face greater hardship

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farm_Ecology
1) Non-whites can be English
2) I'm trying to find statistics on this, but that may just be because there are significantly more white people than non-white in the UK.

Why do you insist on grouping all people of a particular race into one group? The vast majority of white people were no colonisers nor oppressors. That you feel the need to blame all europeans for the actions of a minority simply because they share a skin colour is very telling. Do you group them because of their hair colour? Eye colour? Or maybe some other non-physical trait? No, you group them by skin colour because it is the most physically obvious. That, is racism.
I don't think anyone disputes that everyone is in a different situation. But trying to stereotype these issues by something as meaningless as skin colour fails miserably. Not to mention, trying to claim that only one set of traits is privileged is nonsensical. There is such a thing then, as black privilege, minority privilege, female privilege, and so on. And similar to white, male, middle class privilge they go unrecognized by those that benefit from them.

I'm sorry. What? We need to blame a racial demographic on crimes? Kind of like blaming all black people for gun crime? Or arabs for terrorism?

Reparation from those whose great great grandparents took part in the slave trade.
Original post by Andy98
I don't think we're telling them to forget about it; just to put it behind them as something that happened but isn't happening anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looooool this is exactly what I mean. You're telling them to forget but telling them to leave it in the past. Try telling that to a Jew about the holicaust. Why should blacks be made to forget?
Original post by queen-bee
Reparation from those whose great great grandparents took part in the slave trade.

Why blame that on a certain demographic then? Why not just on people whose grandparents took part in the slave trade?
Nope. That's not what I said. White people need to stop telling black people to forget about slavery and oppression because it's a thing of the past and to move on. Would you tell Jews to forget about the holicaust? No,of course not.

You can't compare slavery to the holocaust.

There are still survivors of the holocaust, they can't exactly forget their life can they.

Slavery was abolished over 200 years ago. There are no surviving victims of slavery.

I don't think the general feeling is to forget the past but to stop dwelling on the past.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Why blame that on a certain demographic then? Why not just on people whose grandparents took part in the slave trade?

Exactly but these people are from a certain demographic.
Exactly but these people are from a certain demographic.

First of all: Not necessarily.

Secondly: That doesn't really follow. I fail to see why bring their demographic into it.
Original post by DiddyDec
You can't compare slavery to the holocaust.

There are still survivors of the holocaust, they can't exactly forget their life can they.

Slavery was abolished over 200 years ago. There are no surviving victims of slavery.

I don't think the general feeling is to forget the past but to stop dwelling on the past.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

What the?!! That's messed up

What? My great great grandparents were irish peasents.. Dont think they were involved in the slave trade.
First of all: Not necessarily.

Secondly: That doesn't really follow. I fail to see why bring their demographic into it.

The people who committed these crimes,who dragged Africans onto boats to be shipped to America were white people/white men
What the?!! That's messed up

That messed up, but claiming a whole demographic is responsible for slavery isn't messed up?

You are messed up.
Original post by earthworm
What? My great great grandparents were irish peasents.. Dont think they were involved in the slave trade.

That's good
The people who committed these crimes,who dragged Africans onto boats to be shipped to America were white people/white men

And why does that involve all other white people?
That messed up, but claiming a whole demographic is responsible for slavery isn't messed up?

You are messed up.

Touchy.

I can't believe you just said what you did in the above post.

We need reparations from the grandchildren of those who participated in the slave trade of america
And why does that involve all other white people?

What was I thinking. The slave trade has nothing to do with white people

I said those whose ancestors were involved. If yours weren't that's cool,you don't have to pay anything
What was I thinking. The slave trade has nothing to do with white people

It didn't. The main frontrunners and benefiters in the slave trade were white, but that has no bearing on all other white people. The vast majority of white people were uninvolved. I fail the see the need to bring all these extra people into this blame because they share a skin colour?

I mean, would you blame all black people because the person who mugged you was black?
Touchy.

I can't believe you just said what you did in the above post.

We need reparations from the grandchildren of those who participated in the slave trade of america

What did I say which was messed up?

Did those paying the reparations participate in the slave trade and are people accountable for the crimes of their ancestors?

Why do they need reparations?
Predictable.
What did I say which was messed up?

Did those paying the reparations participate in the slave trade and are people accountable for the crimes of their ancestors?

Why do they need reparations?

Be ashamed of yourself. You're belittling everything about the slave trade and making it seem like it was a normal thing that should just be forgotten
Looooool this is exactly what I mean. You're telling them to forget but telling them to leave it in the past. Try telling that to a Jew about the holicaust. Why should blacks be made to forget?

I can't take you serious any more, H-O-L-O-C-A-U-S-T.
It didn't. The main frontrunners and benefiters in the slave trade were white, but that has no bearing on all other white people. The vast majority of white people were uninvolved. I fail the see the need to bring all these extra people into this blame because they share a skin colour?

I mean, would you blame all black people because the person who mugged you was black?

Everyone in America benefitted from slavery,even the poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending