The Student Room Group

Study : White people believes that they face greater hardship

Study: White people react to evidence of white privilege by claiming greater personal hardships

Researchers at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business have found that white people respond to evidence that they are privileged by their race by insisting that they face greater hardships in life.

In a study published in the November issue of Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, L. Taylor Phillips and Brian S. Lowery point out that progress on racial equality is limited by the fact that many whites deny the existence of inequities.

“Despite this reality, policy makers and power brokers continue to debate whether racial privilege even exists and whether to address such inequity,” the researchers noted. “One reason for this inaction might be an unwillingness among Whites to acknowledge racial privilege acknowledgment that may be difficult given that Whites are motivated to believe that meritocratic systems and personal virtues determine life outcomes.”

“However, claiming personal life hardships may help Whites manage the threatening possibility that they benefit from privilege.”

The researchers argued that understanding the reaction to evidence of racial inequality was important because whites who did not feel that they personally benefited from their ethnicity would be less willing to support policies that were designed to reduce racial inequality.

Subjects in the study were separated into two groups. The group that was shown evidence of white privilege “claimed more hardships than those not exposed to evidence of privilege,” the study found.

A second experiment suggested “that people claim more life hardships in response to evidence of in-group privilege because such information is threatening to their sense of self.” Researchers observed that whites who read self-affirming statements before completing the survey claimed less hardships, and they found that self-affirmations could actually reverse the denial of white privilege.

“Furthermore, Whites’ claims of life hardships mediated their denials of personal privilege, supporting our hypothesis that hardship claims help people deny they personally benefit from privilege that White privilege extends to themselves,” Phillips and Lowery wrote. “Importantly, these denials of personal privilege were in turn associated with diminished support for affirmative action policies policies that could help alleviate racial inequity.”

Researchers recommended that efforts to reduce racial inequalities also include the education of advantaged populations.

“Our work suggests that privilege reduction efforts might need to focus not only on convincing or educating advantaged group members about privilege, but also on reducing the feelings of self-threat this information induces,” Phillips and Lowery explained. “The existence of hardships does not reduce racial privilege, since racial privilege entails comparison to someone of a different race with equivalent hardships. People may erroneously think privilege entails complete ease in life and that the presence of any hardships denotes an absence of privilege.”

In conclusion, the study postulated that whites may claim hardship “to maintain not only a positive sense of self, but also the material benefits associated with racial privilege.”

“Whites’ claims of hardship might also serve to legitimize the racial advantages they enjoy, and thereby justify a system that benefits their group.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/study-white-people-react-to-evidence-of-white-privilege-by-claiming-greater-personal-hardships/

Scroll to see replies

[video="youtube;WACvvlxHkPo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WACvvlxHkPo[/video]
Well, I would have to say that constantly being accused of having privilege on account of race and told that nothing I have to say is relevant due to it is, in fact, a hardship that only White people have to deal with on a regular basis. But that's the only hardship I would claim. LOL.

I don't like the "evidence" they show, it seems like they completely ignore the fact that White people are usually more established in the societies that are scrutinized, and are often the native inhabitants.

I don't claim any personal hardship, I just genuinely disagree with the kind of "justice" and ends sought by people seeking to reduce "White privilege," and with the whole idea of promoting such a concept.

Perhaps it has more merit in America, because we took that land from the Native Americans who should arguably be at the top of that society because it was their land. But I really don't see how you can complain about White people being privileged in Europe. They never killed off large swaths of native people to gain the land or had widespread slavery of another race on the continent. It would be like complaining that Native Americans are "privileged" on their reservations.

I just don't respect the idea of White privilege, and refuse to bow to its "truth." I reject it on principle because there is no way to prove it true or false. It's not a verifiable idea, it's pseudoscience. I've seen anecdotal, sensational evidence at best. It's a belief instilled in traumatized, paranoid minorities by frustrated social scientists inventing ghosts in order to justify their pay and stir up controversy. It's irresponsible of them, and the resulting tension caused by it does more harm than good to both minorities and the target race.

I am against racism, but I do not accept the doctrine of White privilege. I do not believe any fair, rational, collectively beneficial policy can come out of such a hateful, vindictive, venomous, self-righteous ideology as the one that promulgates such concepts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, I would have to say that constantly being accused of having privilege on account of race and told that nothing I have to say is relevant due to it is, in fact, a hardship that only White people have to deal with on a regular basis. But that's the only hardship I would claim. LOL.

I don't like the "evidence" they show, it seems like they completely ignore the fact that White people are usually more established in the societies that are scrutinized, and are often the native inhabitants.

I don't claim any personal hardship, I just genuinely disagree with the kind of "justice" and ends sought by people seeking to reduce "White privilege," and with the whole idea of promoting such a concept.

Perhaps it has more merit in America, because we took that land from the Native Americans who should arguably be at the top of that society because it was their land. But I really don't see how you can complain about White people being privileged in Europe. They never killed off large swaths of native people to gain the land or had widespread slavery of another race on the continent. It would be like complaining that Native Americans are "privileged" on their reservations.

I just don't respect the idea of White privilege, and refuse to bow to its "truth." I reject it on principle because there is no way to prove it true or false. It's not a verifiable idea, it's pseudoscience. I've seen anecdotal, sensational evidence at best. It's a belief instilled in traumatized, paranoid minorities by frustrated social scientists inventing ghosts in order to justify their pay and stir up controversy. It's irresponsible of them, and the resulting tension caused by it does more harm than good to both minorities and the target race.

I am against racism, but I do not accept the doctrine of White privilege. I do not believe any fair, rational, collectively beneficial policy can come out of such a hateful, vindictive, venomous, self-righteous ideology as the one that promulgates such concepts.

Typical response from someone with white privilege.
No non white control group: what this 'study' shows is that people like to disagree when they are told that they have an easy life. Doubtless they would get the same result if they asked any other racial, socioeconomic or geographical group.

Anyone want to buy some old rope its very strong.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Typical response from someone with white privilege.

And you've used the fact that you believe I possess White privilege as an excuse to invalidate anything I have to say. It's a very clever sophism, because it offers White people no available counter-argument that you can't answer back by accusing them of what they're trying to invalidate.

I have to say, I do respect the intelligence of the person who came up with this. It's a very effective form of entrapment. Very creative, cunning, and able to counter or anticipate any move.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
Study: White people react to evidence of white privilege by claiming greater personal hardships

Researchers at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business have found that white people respond to evidence that they are privileged by their race by insisting that they face greater hardships in life.

In a study published in the November issue of Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, L. Taylor Phillips and Brian S. Lowery point out that progress on racial equality is limited by the fact that many whites deny the existence of inequities.

“Despite this reality, policy makers and power brokers continue to debate whether racial privilege even exists and whether to address such inequity,” the researchers noted. “One reason for this inaction might be an unwillingness among Whites to acknowledge racial privilege acknowledgment that may be difficult given that Whites are motivated to believe that meritocratic systems and personal virtues determine life outcomes.”

“However, claiming personal life hardships may help Whites manage the threatening possibility that they benefit from privilege.”

The researchers argued that understanding the reaction to evidence of racial inequality was important because whites who did not feel that they personally benefited from their ethnicity would be less willing to support policies that were designed to reduce racial inequality.

Subjects in the study were separated into two groups. The group that was shown evidence of white privilege “claimed more hardships than those not exposed to evidence of privilege,” the study found.

A second experiment suggested “that people claim more life hardships in response to evidence of in-group privilege because such information is threatening to their sense of self.” Researchers observed that whites who read self-affirming statements before completing the survey claimed less hardships, and they found that self-affirmations could actually reverse the denial of white privilege.

“Furthermore, Whites’ claims of life hardships mediated their denials of personal privilege, supporting our hypothesis that hardship claims help people deny they personally benefit from privilege that White privilege extends to themselves,” Phillips and Lowery wrote. “Importantly, these denials of personal privilege were in turn associated with diminished support for affirmative action policies policies that could help alleviate racial inequity.”

Researchers recommended that efforts to reduce racial inequalities also include the education of advantaged populations.

“Our work suggests that privilege reduction efforts might need to focus not only on convincing or educating advantaged group members about privilege, but also on reducing the feelings of self-threat this information induces,” Phillips and Lowery explained. “The existence of hardships does not reduce racial privilege, since racial privilege entails comparison to someone of a different race with equivalent hardships. People may erroneously think privilege entails complete ease in life and that the presence of any hardships denotes an absence of privilege.”

In conclusion, the study postulated that whites may claim hardship “to maintain not only a positive sense of self, but also the material benefits associated with racial privilege.”

“Whites’ claims of hardship might also serve to legitimize the racial advantages they enjoy, and thereby justify a system that benefits their group.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/09/study-white-people-react-to-evidence-of-white-privilege-by-claiming-greater-personal-hardships/

I'm sure all those priveleged white people will admit to their wrongdoing soon, don't worry.
Original post by UniteAgainstMarx
Maybe because White people are robbed of their homeland and a future?

Hmm some privilege Whites enjoy

Africa for Africans
Middle East for Arabs
Asia for Asians

Anti-racist ***** you did this to us, and we'll spill your blood to make you pay for your crimes against the White race

And errrm what about Australia and America?
Bet these Boasians believe that all difference in achievement between the races has nothing to do with genetics at all haha.
[video="youtube;zh_vIlp-300"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_vIlp-300&ab_channel=SilexW[/video]
Stanford's Graduate School of Business ought to be researching stuff actually relevant to business, not some sixth form gender studies conspiracy theory.
And you've used the fact that you believe I possess White privilege as an excuse to invalidate anything I have to say. It's a very clever sophism, because it offers White people no available counter-argument that you can't answer back by accusing them of what they're trying to invalidate.

I have to say, I do respect the intelligence of the person who came up with this. It's a very effective form of entrapment. Very creative, cunning, and able to counter or anticipate any move.

Reminds me somewhat of religion, especially in its early days. "There's a God! There's a God" "Is there?" "BURN THE HERETIC".
I am as white as you get without being albino, and I can confirm that in my case this is a load of bull****. The only hardship I face as a result of being white is sunburn :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
I am as white as you get without being albino, and I can confirm that this is a load of bull****. The only hardship I face as a result of being white is sunburn :lol:

You do not represent or speak for an entire race.
These social justice warriors want their cake and eat it. Firstly, there is no such thing as the white race so it's okay to flood white countries with non-white people because there is no such thing as race yet in order to get social justice then they advocate positive discrimination against white people, but then white people don't exist because there is no such thing as race, but there has to be because otherwise how they would know who is suppsoedly privileged and who is not and they have not one problem with such a confusing mess of twisted logic as long as it serves their aims.

Neo nazis basically use the same argument by saying you're jewish or sound like a jew, yet one merits a polite and thoughtful response and the other must be smacked down with the hammer of thor.
Original post by Wilfred Little

He's right. You won't face the same hardships in your lifetime as people of colour/ethnic minorities face. It's called white priveledge
Original post by queen-bee
He's right. You won't face the same hardships in your lifetime as people of colour/ethnic minorities face. It's called white priveledge

???

He does not speak for an entire group,. I suppose the point is, 'this hasn't happened to me therefore it hasn't happened to anyone' doesn't really make sense.
Original post by Wilfred Little

No, I don't. Nor do you, or the people in the study:h:

Quick Reply

Latest