The Student Room Group

going by a name that isn't on my birth certificate at college?

for personal reasons, i don't go by my birth name. my friends and teachers mostly call me by this name, it's the name i use on social media, and i plan to change it by deed poll when i feel in a better position to do so (my parents don't like that i want to change my name and i don't want to change it just yet because it will upset them).

when i start college next year, how will i get people to use my chosen name? should i say something on my application? it's a while away but it's been bothering me lately. thanks in advance for any help.
Original post by aphze
for personal reasons, i don't go by my birth name. my friends and teachers mostly call me by this name, it's the name i use on social media, and i plan to change it by deed poll when i feel in a better position to do so (my parents don't like that i want to change my name and i don't want to change it just yet because it will upset them).

when i start college next year, how will i get people to use my chosen name? should i say something on my application? it's a while away but it's been bothering me lately. thanks in advance for any help.

On my college application it had a space for preferred name so this may be on there. That way teachers know what to call you. However, all official correspondence, certificates etc. will use your real name until you get it legally changed.

As for friends, just introduce yourself as what you like to be called.
No, you don't say it on your application. You ask your teachers and classmates to call you by your preferred name. However you won't be able to use your preferred name on your projects/assignments unless you make it legal.
just drop your college an email requesting that the name on your registers is given as XXX and teachers refer to you as XXX

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending