The Student Room Group

Best A-levels to take to get into Oxford (CompSci)?

Hey all,

I'll be making my A-level choices probably within a few months so I'm wondering what the best choice will be for me to get into Oxford on a CompSci course.

Right now I'm thinking Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics/Biology at AS, and then dropping Economics/Biology for AS. However I've been advised that taking Physics instead of Economics may be a better idea to get into a competitive course.

Here are my current predicted (with a bit of my influence mixed in where I have achieved extremely high end-of-year grades but not had my predicted grade updated) GCSE grades:

A* - Maths
A* - Physics
A* - Chemistry
A* - Biology
A* - Computing
A* - Economics
A*/A - History
A*/A - English Literature
A*/A - English Language
A*/A - Further Maths (Currently been getting As on past papers, but I still don't know a decent chunk of the content so I think once I know that I can get A*s)
A/B - Classical Civilisation (Full-course, but we have to learn it in the same time as half-course :s-smilie:)
B/C - Art (Likely for me to be dropping this though)
C - French (Hoping a lot of revision here might get me up to a B!)

So I think that it's quite likely I'll come out with very good GCSE results, and my GCSEs mean that really either of the choices I put above for A-levels would be good options. I'm really just looking to see what the absolute #1 choice I can make here is.
Original post by CloakedSpartan
Hey all,

I'll be making my A-level choices probably within a few months so I'm wondering what the best choice will be for me to get into Oxford on a CompSci course.

Right now I'm thinking Maths, Further Maths, Computing and Economics/Biology at AS, and then dropping Economics/Biology for AS. However I've been advised that taking Physics instead of Economics may be a better idea to get into a competitive course.

Here are my current predicted (with a bit of my influence mixed in where I have achieved extremely high end-of-year grades but not had my predicted grade updated) GCSE grades:

A* - Maths
A* - Physics
A* - Chemistry
A* - Biology
A* - Computing
A* - Economics
A*/A - History
A*/A - English Language
A*/A - Further Maths (Currently been getting As on past papers, but I still don't know a decent chunk of the content so I think once I know that I can get A*s)
A/B - Classical Civilisation (Full-course, but we have to learn it in the same time as half-course :s-smilie:)

So I think that it's quite likely I'll come out with very good GCSE results, and my GCSEs mean that really either of the choices I put above for A-levels would be good options. I'm really just looking to see what the absolute #1 choice I can make here is.

Maths is essential. Further Maths is strongly recommended. Computing is useful, because we like to see some evidence that candidates have thought carefully about their choice, and are likely to enjoy studying the subject at university. Beyond that, I think you should do whatever you find most interesting: I don't think Physics will give you any advantage over Economics or Biology. Overall, that looks like an excellent choice of A Levels.

Gavin
Your A Levels are fine.
Maths and further maths are the 2 main ones, you might as well do computing if your college offers it, and physics would be a good choice too, but economics is probably easier and wouldn't harm your chances of getting in, neither would biology.
Original post by CloakedSpartan
Hey all,

A* - Maths
A* - Physics
A* - Chemistry
A* - Biology
A* - Computing
A* - Economics
A*/A - History
A*/A - English Language

Maths is most important for compsci. Cambridge wants their applicants to have at least two, or preferably three, maths/science subjects and some Cambridge colleges require Physics as one of them (on top of maths), but A-level Computing or knowledge/experience in programming is not required by any of them. Hope this gives you a basic idea of what type of candidates they are looking for.
So if it's a toss between computing and economics, the former is better if you're 100% sure you want to read compsci at uni.

For further info.
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science

However, one thing I want to say to you now is that you'd better keep your mind open and flexible at your stage as you haven't even had GCSE results and your interest in both course and university choice may change. Also, there's a huge difference in the level of GCSE and that of A-levels, too. There'll be a big step between them, so until you actually start A-levels, there's no way telling how well you can cope.
Don't get too fixated by one idea, esp on a choice of uni. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gavinlowe
Maths is essential. Further Maths is strongly recommended. Computing is useful, because we like to see some evidence that candidates have thought carefully about their choice, and are likely to enjoy studying the subject at university. Beyond that, I think you should do whatever you find most interesting: I don't think Physics will give you any advantage over Economics or Biology. Overall, that looks like an excellent choice of A Levels.

Gavin

Thanks! I think I'll most likely take Maths to A2, Further Maths to A2, Computing to A2 and Economics to AS (assuming my school will allow us to enter for an AS despite the reforms) then.
Original post by vincrows
However, one thing I want to say to you now is that you'd better keep your mind open and flexible at your stage as you haven't even had GCSE results and your interest in both course and university choice may change. Also, there's a huge difference in the level of GCSE and that of A-levels, too. There'll be a big step between them, so until you actually start A-levels, there's no way telling how well you can cope.Don't get too fixated by one idea, esp on a choice of uni. :wink:
Sure on the uni part, but I've been fixated on computer science for many years now :wink: Thanks though! You are right. I've been practising a lot with further maths GCSE so I can hit the ground running with A-level maths and further maths though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending