The Student Room Group

Petition to excempt shisha from the smoking ban...

Those who live around London, know Edware Road is amongst the popular place amongst the asian community and curious people. It hosts cafe after cafe of shisha lounges and is a great place to socialize. Unfortunetly, many of these cafes receive the majority of there income by renting out shisha/hookah pipes. This means once the ban comes into force many of these cafes will have no other alternative except to close down and edware road will loose its whole vibe.

This isn't just about edware road, but about any shisha lounge/cafe across this country. IMO shisha is good stuff, which helps relax you and unwind. It has minimum quantities of tobacco and nearly 0 nicotine. It is generally seen as a cleaner alternative to smoking.

I am in full favor of a smoking ban in pubs/clubs, but I enjoy doing shisha with my mates every once in a while. I am not going to buy a shisha pipe because its all about the moment and atmosphere not because i am 'addicted' to it.

Pls could you spend a moment to sign this petition IF you feel that shisha should be exempt from the ban, many people come into shisha cafes wanting to smoke shisha not to have a pint or dance the night away.

I know this is a Controversial topic, but we are talking about lots of businesses closing down.

Thanks

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Shisha/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Businesses closing down? Like the pubs and clubs closing because smokers refuse to acknowledge the smoking ban?

No, it shouldn't be exempt. If anything, the nicotine amount justifies the inclusion of shisha in the ban because at least those who smoke it may not be addicted.
Reply 2
surely they can't stop people smoking in shisha cafes? the whole point of the business is to smoke shisha! you don't want to inhale the smoke, you don't go in there. pretty ****ing simple really.

I'm not signing the petition though because i don't like that websit. links IP address with name, political beliefs and address = not good imo.
Reply 3
Yeah Thud 'cos everyone's really interested in your digital footprint....
Reply 4
go **** yourself ten bob. you wanna make it easy for them? go right ahead. tosser.
What's shisha?
Reply 6
Nice bite Thud, you do make me laugh.
LOL.

anyway, surely they could easily get around this by just making them private members clubs or something?
Reply 8
Something upper-middle class tory rich boys do to piss off Daddy and act like a ******.

That said though, it is a nice passtime just the scene makes it ****ty.

I won't sign the petition because if I can't have a ciggarette with my whiskey then why should other ****ers be able to smoke.
Reply 9
It's a slippery slope once you start making exemptions to legislation such as this.
Hmm, you should all try living in scotland. They don't let us smoke weed in bars up here, or cigarettes for that matter!:p:
As for shisha, well there aren't any upper middle class people here, and those that do exist group together for safety.

So I'm not signing that petition, if they want their business to exist they should move to Holland.
Reply 11
Ban all smoking :smile: I can't wait to June :biggrin:
Reply 12
Just wait until the ****ers are stood outside in the rain. Gonna be great.
When I hear views on smoking from peole like you...I have an overwhelming urge to burn down your houses.
Reply 14
Bubblebee
When I hear views on smoking from peole like you...I have an overwhelming urge to burn down your houses.

:laugh: lol, 2 reasons to rep you now.
Reply 15
People like who?
Reply 16
Id sign it.....if you didnt have to put your address n that on it....not sure why it puts me off it just does...plus it'll never work, as someone said....a slippery slope...

Really wish it was exempt from the law, absolutely love smoking sheesha...my usual is shuttin down from July....the cafe itself is not shutting down, but they are stopping sheeshas and just selling food. Are sheesha cafes banned because they also serve food and they have to decided between one or the other? or would a sheesha cafe which just sold sheesha also be included in the ban?

Im gutted though, it was ace to just go and chill with a few mates and a mint sheesha :smile: ...gonna miss it come july :mad:
Its going to be an all-out ban. I mean I just saw this petition and 1k is not enough maybe 500k would have them look into it...

Its NOT for middle-high class people btw..anyone can do it it only costs between £5 to £11 in more luxury places and usually 1 between two is enough.

BTW these petition are part of the goverment serves, notice the web address .gov.uk so it is 110% safe.
Reply 18
davidjones90
Its going to be an all-out ban. I mean I just saw this petition and 1k is not enough maybe 500k would have them look into it...

Its NOT for middle-high class people btw..anyone can do it it only costs between £5 to £11 in more luxury places and usually 1 between two is enough.

BTW these petition are part of the goverment serves, notice the web address .gov.uk so it is 110% safe.

£5 minimum?

man, you guys are getting robbed!
Reply 19
I do think its a pity that places like shisha cafes will basically get shut down, I don't think many people realise that they will fall under the smoking ban as well.

As far as I know the smoke exhaled isn't harmful to others? So I'm not too sure on what health grounds its being banned, other than it falls into the category of smoking.

And man I'm going to miss having a cigarette with my drink!! Even if it is just every few weeks or so. At least we can sit outside over the summer and slowly try to adjust :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending