The Student Room Group

Career Advice Needed

Hi,

I'd just like to apologise for such a long post, I just wanted to give you all the information to try and limit the questions coming back...

I've just finished my higher apprenticeship (NVQ Level 4 and FD) at a well established engineering company that is making 400 people redundant. To keep myself and other higher apprentices safe from this, the company decided to keep us on our apprenticeship contract (and wage) and not offered us a 'proper' contract as promised upon the completing the apprenticeship. The apprenticeship contact is 4 years long, finishing Aug 2016, however, I am no longer an apprentice as I have completed the relevant training and we were always told that as soon as that was achieved we would be given 'proper' contracts.

A month before the redundancies were announced the company started to make arrangements for us to join the company (raising cost walk ins, etc.). This obviously stopped and there does not seem to be a significant plan in place.

A colleague and I had a meeting with our HR advisor - who deals with the apprentices. We asked questions about cheap labour, to which they agreed we are (which is very demoralising) and when we are likely to get our contract, to which they optimistically said January 2016 - but it could be August or never.

I have just started the final year of my BEng (that is being funded by the company). A week or so before the redundancies were announced we had to sign an agreement that we would stay with the company for at least 2 years from when we finish the BEng or we have to reimburse them. I have spoke to apprentices that have left before, they were never chased for this money.

In the past this company let a significant amount of people go and the apprentices were kept on their apprenticeship contract for an extra year and then half of them were let go.

I generally don't enjoy working for this company and a lot of people that I work with could potentially be leaving - when we don't really have enough people to begin with. Over the past 18 months a significant amount of people have also left on their own accord. With the redundancies my distaste for the job is only going to grow. My parents think I should stick it out, with their main concern being my degree.

Now I've got that out of the way, I have a few questions:

- Should I start looking for a new job?
- I still want to complete my degree (on track for a first), would a company still hire me knowing I would be out of the office one day a week?
- Do you think the funding agreement is a scare tactic or that they would 'chase me' for it?
- If I were to leave now, how would it make me look to potential employers?
I'm not in the field but have a few thoughts about this.

If you've signed an agreement to stay or reimburse, yes they can take action against you for not staying. If you left now you'd look ungrateful and disloyal to potential employers who will question your commitment and what you say at interview. I think your best bet is to stick it out till at least your apprenticeship contract finishes in August 2016. If you have a proper contract before then then only sign till you've done your post BEng 2 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending