The Student Room Group

Losing my hair and shaving it off. Will this become an issue in the dating world?

I have been losing my hair since i was around 18 years old. It's been receding at a very slow pace, but now at 26 it's become a lot more noticeable and it's a lot more difficult to hide. I can still hide it somewhat if i have it cut to a medium length, but it's not longer growing at the same rate and it's taking twice as long for it to grow.

I have been considering shaving it down to a buzzcut, but i don't particularly like the idea of a shaven head. I used to have a buzz a few years ago and girls would still find me attractive as i have a decent looking face that suits a shaven head, but i would much rather hair on my head as it makes me look more youthful i guess.

I am relatively confident and carry myself well, well at least i think so, but losing my hair is a bit of a knock to the confidence i once had. I do wear hats a lot, usually baseball new era caps or trucker caps because a hat at least adds a bit of character to my head than a lack of hair does.

I don't know what to do. Shall i shave it all off? I am trying to hold on to my hair for as long as possible :biggrin: so maybe i just need to man up and shave it off. I can't afford a hair transplant and, by all accounts some of them look awful after the money spent to have the procedure done.
Reply 1
Have you seen The Rock? As a straight man, I can say I would do things to that man :nooo: (no homo, maybe a little homo)
Reply 2
Hair isn't a big deal tbh

Just shave it off :wink: if you don't like it, it'll grow back... probably...
A completely shaven head suits some people more than others, but you won't know how it really looks nor how you really feel about it until you do it.

If you don't like it, it'll grow back anyway. Plus you wear caps most of the time, so there's no real harm done.
Think of it this way;
If you are thinking about shaving it off it looks thin. You have two choices;

1) Shave it or
2) Silly hairstyle time.

If it is thin, it won't look good. When you get closer to thirty it is fine to have a shaved head-if you were early twenties it would be a different matter. Thin hair eventually doesn't look like you have hair, you just look a bit unhealthy.
Look at Chukka Umunna;
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02950/Chuka-Umunna_2950770b.jpg

He has shaven his head, he looks fine. However, if he kept it thin it would just look way worse. No one will care if you have a shaven head, but they will do if you have really thin hair but haven't bit the bullet yet.
Chukka Umuna, if he was in a state of denial and kept thin hair, would look like a mid-life crisis weirdo but instead he shaved it and looks ok.

Just my view.
No it won't affect your chances.

The lack of confidance you have right now, will.
I'm currently losing my hair as well.. I was told that even if I do cut it short/shave it, it would still be bald and there'll be no improvements. What you have to do is find the reason that your hair is falling out, this could be loads of hair product etc. Mines was bc I have low iron and loads of stress. I was also given something called Minoxidil which guarantess hair growth for (fe)male pattern baldness however you have to use it for the rest of your life or your roots'll shrink and the hair will stop growing again (don't go for it its a trap!)

But hey, I guess everyones different, maybe yours'll grow back if you shave it idk
Reply 7
I've been in the same situation but probably more advanced however my peak period with women was when balding and I was even shaved for a month or two (I kept stroking my head, missing it). So no.

Can't say it won't have any effect (you may go from a 8 to a 6) however your body and face and style can override it somewhat.
Reply 8
Shave it off and grow a massive beard instead.
I prefer to have something to hold onto :teehee:

But many women find a shaved head attractive and I always have this kind of strange urge to touch a bald head :ninja:. Idk.. just to know what it feels like :rofl:
Original post by ILovePancakes
I prefer to have something to hold onto :teehee:

But many women find a shaved head attractive and I always have this kind of strange urge to touch a bald head :ninja:. Idk.. just to know what it feels like :rofl:

the "strange urge to touch a bald head" part just got me :rofl: :rofl:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
the "strange urge to touch a bald head" part just got me :rofl: :rofl:

You know you have it too :teehee:
Original post by Anonymous
I have been losing my hair since i was around 18 years old. It's been receding at a very slow pace, but now at 26 it's become a lot more noticeable and it's a lot more difficult to hide. I can still hide it somewhat if i have it cut to a medium length, but it's not longer growing at the same rate and it's taking twice as long for it to grow.

I have been considering shaving it down to a buzzcut, but i don't particularly like the idea of a shaven head. I used to have a buzz a few years ago and girls would still find me attractive as i have a decent looking face that suits a shaven head, but i would much rather hair on my head as it makes me look more youthful i guess.

I am relatively confident and carry myself well, well at least i think so, but losing my hair is a bit of a knock to the confidence i once had. I do wear hats a lot, usually baseball new era caps or trucker caps because a hat at least adds a bit of character to my head than a lack of hair does.

I don't know what to do. Shall i shave it all off? I am trying to hold on to my hair for as long as possible :biggrin: so maybe i just need to man up and shave it off. I can't afford a hair transplant and, by all accounts some of them look awful after the money spent to have the procedure done.
I started at sixteen. Just get a crew cut and stop worrying. For one thing, if it bothers you, it'll bother people around you, and for another thing, there are far more important things in life to worry about than how much hair you still have.
bald men are dead to women.
Original post by Howard
Shave it off and grow a massive beard instead.

This. Get it shaved and go for the hard as nails bald bastard look.

Cringe when I see blokes who are clearly losing their hair who still grow it, it looks awful. Don't be one of those who hangs on to a thinning mess like you are hanging on to the glory years. Accept it and move on. It's just hair.

ftr I was a bit gutted when I noticed mine was going but after about a week I was over it. The only thing I miss is being stuck with the same hairstyle. But then it takes ten minutes to do my fade and trim the top :cool:
Original post by i<3milkshake
If it is thin, it won't look good. When you get closer to thirty it is fine to have a shaved head-if you were early twenties it would be a different matter. Thin hair eventually doesn't look like you have hair, you just look a bit unhealthy.

:laugh:

Great description.
I'd shave it. Shaved head looks better than super thinning hair IMO.
Reply 17
I started losing weight seriously as well. I couldn't bare the thought of having to shave my hair though so I'm now on some med and thankfully it's working well.

If you think you will be more confident without it, just do it man.
Depends on whether or not you suit being a slaphead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending