The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grades enough?

For my GCSE's, I got 9A's (in Triple Science), 1A* & 1B. I've had my heart set on doing a Science related degree but I'm told most Medicine applicants get 5A*'s or more, especially for best uni's. However, I am very interested in Pharmacology so do you think these grades will be fine for a Pharmacy degree at a really good university?

I chose Eng Lit, Biology & Chemistry (with AS Drama as I didn't really know what to do although I may change it for AS Maths). I'm also starting DofE Gold which is equivalent to an A Level but I hear it doesn't give any UCAS points :/

(I'm also predicted AAA but school just started and we haven't done any exams so these aren't super accurate)
seriously i think u can answer that yr self ah u got fab gcses !!!!!!! yr gunna do great in life probs
Original post by lololtolu
For my GCSE's, I got 9A's (in Triple Science), 1A* & 1B. I've had my heart set on doing a Science related degree but I'm told most Medicine applicants get 5A*'s or more, especially for best uni's. However, I am very interested in Pharmacology so do you think these grades will be fine for a Pharmacy degree at a really good university?

I chose Eng Lit, Biology & Chemistry (with AS Drama as I didn't really know what to do although I may change it for AS Maths). I'm also starting DofE Gold which is equivalent to an A Level but I hear it doesn't give any UCAS points :/

(I'm also predicted AAA but school just started and we haven't done any exams so these aren't super accurate)

Do AS Maths, whether you enjoy it or not. Should probably do it to A2 too.

If you want to study a science you have to have a maths A level if you want to go anywhere very good, and the fact you're not doing Maths is much worse than your GCSE grades are, so worry about that first :smile:
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Do AS Maths, whether you enjoy it or not. Should probably do it to A2 too.

If you want to study a science you have to have a maths A level if you want to go anywhere very good, and the fact you're not doing Maths is much worse than your GCSE grades are, so worry about that first :smile:

what did u do?
Original post by katy-grace
what did u do?

A2 (Maths and Further Maths) + AS Additional Further Maths and I'm applying for Computer Science, a science, so at least Maths is usually preferred to be honest by Universities.
Reply 5
Getting grades like that at GCSE are amazing!! I may be coming to you for help with my A Level biology :tongue:
Having grades like that in the bag and having AAA predicted, you will do absolutely fine in whatever career path you choose, and if you want more, just push yourself that bit further and you'll get it!
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by lololtolu

Your GCSE results are amazing! you should be absolutely fine, but seeing as you want to do a science at university Maths would be more beneficial than drama :smile: good luck! x
oh wow fairs thats coo, so u got into uni?
A2 (Maths and Further Maths) + AS Additional Further Maths and I'm applying for Computer Science, a science, so at least Maths is usually preferred to be honest by Universities.
Original post by katy-grace
oh wow fairs thats coo, so u got into uni?

Haven't applied yet lol, will be within the next week or so though. Got AAAA at AS so all is going okay.
Original post by EastGuava
WTH???????????

Maths isn't necessary for Medicine or Pharmacy. Don't misinform people.

It's 100x more "necessary" than a few extra A*s over A's and 1000x more "necessary" than either English Lit or Drama.

Therefore, I am fully correct.

Usual subject preference order for Medicine (bare in mind she's going for top Uni's):
Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, Further Maths.....

Wish to argue? Go do that with someone just as misinformed as you.
Haven't applied yet lol, will be within the next week or so though. Got AAAA at AS so all is going okay.

oh rht ah opps wow that impressive :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending