The Student Room Group

English at uni - reading requirements and contact hours?

I'm hoping to take English at Bristol, Sussex, York, Manchester or Nottingham. I enjoy reading, however I wouldn't consider myself as a 'fast reader', as I like to take my time so I can really consider what the author is saying. After hearing lots about the vast amount of reading required for any English course at uni, I am slightly concerned that perhaps I won't be able to keep up with everyone else. So my question is, how much (on average) are you actually expected to read? obviously it depends on the language of the text and the size, but if anyone could tell me an average week's worth of reading that would be so helpful. Also, the lack of contact hours and the amount that's essentially 'down to you' as an English student worries me. My favourtie thing about English is the discussion and wirting it inspires, more than the reading itself. I've achieved high grades at GCSE and A-level (A's/A*'s) but perhaps I only excelled at school because I'm good at note taking, writing and listening to teachers, which is not enough to get you through at Uni, since so much of it appears to be down to YOU, your reading and your interests. Any advice/thoughts would be really appreciated. :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1019507

From what I've learned, it isn't so much about what you read, but it's the willingness to read books that aren't on your school curriculum.
Yes, you will struggle if you don't like to work independently. You will normally read a new book every week (maybe every two weeks in the first semester or so) for each module you take. I'm in fourth year now, and I have three English modules in a semester with a new novel/set of poems every week for each module. This basically means I'm reading the equivalent of 3 books in a week (and they're not The Hunger Games or Harry Potter, they're long and/or complex literary texts.) That doesn't include the secondary texts that you will probably need to read if you want to say anything meaningful in classes, and that you will definitely need to read if you want to write decent essays.

If you don't do the work, that's up to you. I know people in my classes who basically barely read anything, get low to average grades, and don't contribute to discussions whatsoever. It depends how well you want to do. It is a lot of work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending