The Student Room Group

Do i have any chance at a top uni? Please help

GCSE's: AAAABBCCCC
Obviously not horrific but not very good, my year group was quite bad as it wasn't a very good school and so these are above average in comparison but I'm not sure if they would be top 10%, at AS i have AABB and A*AA prediction next year, would i have a chance at somewhere like LSE for economics? I also have mental health issues that caused me to not really concentrate and have a very low work ethic because i was depressed and it only got worse at sixth form when doing my AS's, so this could work in my favour maybe? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Yep you definitely do :smile: I got ABCC at AS and managed to turn it around into AAA at A2, now I'm also applying to LSE but for geography :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by p.formanko
Yep you definitely do :smile: I got ABCC at AS and managed to turn it around into AAA at A2, now I'm also applying to LSE but for geography :smile:
how were your GCSE's? thats my main worry tbh, and well done, thats really good :smile:
Original post by harry734
how were your GCSE's? thats my main worry tbh, and well done, thats really good :smile:

Very unlikely. Average LSE applicant has 7A*+. Competition is 25:1 for applicants to places for economics.
Reply 4
Original post by Willdono
Very unlikely. Average LSE applicant has 7A*+. Competition is 25:1 for applicants to places.
but do you think they will take into account extenuating circumstances, i heard they were good with them?
but do you think they will take into account extenuating circumstances, i heard they were good with them?

I presume your AS results are AAAA and you have A*AA predictions (at least).
Reply 6
I presume your AS results are AAAA and you have A*AA predictions (at least).
AABB and A*AA prediction but i still had the health issues throughout AS
Reply 7
Well you won't know unless you try. Go for it as your 'ambitious' option but have 4 other unis that you don't mind going to. If you want to apply for economics, other really good unis to check out are Warwick/UCL which are just slightly a level below LSE but still amazing.
AABB and A*AA prediction but i still had the health issues throughout AS

Worth a shot. You can definitely get into other Russell Group universities with those grades though.
Reply 9
Worth a shot. You can definitely get into other Russell Group universities with those grades though.
i was wondering if anyone had been in a similar situation with extenuating circumstances and wanted to know how LSE are about them, would also like to be in london because i want to go into banking eventually, will have a look at other uni's now, thanks for your help
Reply 10
If you have mental health issues and subsequent poor work ethic, it would be a waste of time and money to go to university because you would come out with a low grade degree and a lot of debt or no degree at all.

You should get a job instead.

my GCSEs were As and A*s but I think so long as they're passes (C or above) they shouldn't really weigh down your application :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Maker
If you have mental health issues and subsequent poor work ethic, it would be a waste of time and money to go to university because you would come out with a low grade degree and a lot of debt or no degree at all.

You should get a job instead.
This was before i got treatment, I'm obviously better now, I'm predicted A*AA, so clearly I'm capable, but wasn't when i wasn't well.

Original post by p.formanko
my GCSEs were As and A*s but I think so long as they're passes (C or above) they shouldn't really weigh down your application :smile:
hm, hope so, good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 13
anyone else?
Reply 14
hello?
Reply 15
GCSE's: AAAABBCCCC
Obviously not horrific but not very good, my year group was quite bad as it wasn't a very good school and so these are above average in comparison but I'm not sure if they would be top 10%, at AS i have AABB and A*AA prediction next year, would i have a chance at somewhere like LSE for economics? I also have mental health issues that caused me to not really concentrate and have a very low work ethic because i was depressed and it only got worse at sixth form when doing my AS's, so this could work in my favour maybe? Thanks :smile:

what subjects did u take at as level and what grades did u get in them?
Reply 16
Original post by Yousf
what subjects did u take at as level and what grades did u get in them?
Maths - A, Economics - A, Further maths - B, Physics - B, and in one of my economics units i got 100 ums :smile:
Reply 17
Maths - A, Economics - A, Further maths - B, Physics - B, and in one of my economics units i got 100 ums :smile:

You got a good chance, apply.
x

When you say you have extenuating circumstances, did you make this clear to your school and exam board at the time? If not, you can't just whip it out now and expect unis to care. Extenuating circumstances is not a get out of jail free card for poor grades when you realise later that you don't make the cut for your chosen uni. Even if you had applied to exam boards, the most you would get would be an uplift of 5% and that's the maximum for the death of a close relative or something. So for somewhere as competitive as LSE getting the Bs at AS still may not make the cut, especially if you had the help from your school/exam board. If you're hellbent on going there and think you can achieve the A*AA maybe apply next year when you already have your grades.
Reply 19
Original post by Yousf
You got a good chance, apply.
thanks, are you at lse?

Original post by infairverona
When you say you have extenuating circumstances, did you make this clear to your school and exam board at the time? If not, you can't just whip it out now and expect unis to care. Extenuating circumstances is not a get out of jail free card for poor grades when you realise later that you don't make the cut for your chosen uni. Even if you had applied to exam boards, the most you would get would be an uplift of 5% and that's the maximum for the death of a close relative or something. So for somewhere as competitive as LSE getting the Bs at AS still may not make the cut, especially if you had the help from your school/exam board. If you're hellbent on going there and think you can achieve the A*AA maybe apply next year when you already have your grades.
i didn't say it was a get out of jail free card but it may make them more lenient with my lower grades as i was at a disadvantage compared with other students, chill out

Quick Reply

Latest