The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester Applicants for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Where from: Newport, South Wales
AS/A2 subjects: Psychology, Biology, History (AS and A2)
AS/A2 grades: AS - AAB A2 predicted - AAB to A*A*A (no one has told me :frown: )
Course applying for: Psychology

Why I applied: honestly I just really love Manchester as a city which I think is one of the most important factors if i'm gunna be living there for 3 years :biggrin: and obviously it seems like a good uni!

Question: what do you have to do (or not do?) to get a rejection from Manchester? How much of the offer is based on the personal statement, or is it mainly grades? I'm really stresseddddddd
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Where from: Oxford
AS/A2 subjects: Spanish, Sociology, Psychology
AS/A2 grades: AAB
Course applying for: Spanish, Portuguese and Latin American studies

Has anyone received offers yet?!
Original post by nfthakar
APs taken: Lang (4), US History (5)
APs this year: Stat, US Gov, Comp Gov, Micro Econ, Macro Econ
SAT: 2020
Subject tests: Math 2 (750), World History (740), Literature (660)
Course I'm applying to: Business

The music from the 80s and early 90s introduced me to Manchester as a city and when a friend got into Edinburgh last year I looked into applying to the UK and now I'm not even applying to any US universities. I visited over the summer and I absolutely loved it.

that is so exciting! I was in California in February and considered applying for uni there! you will really enjoy it here though only downside is the cold weather :frown:
Just received an offer for Psychology at Manchester!!! :biggrin:
Original post by mariapvera
that is so exciting! I was in California in February and considered applying for uni there! you will really enjoy it here though only downside is the cold weather :frown:

Im actually looking forward to living somewhere that actually has seasons so really for me there arent any downsides. Where in California are you applying?
Lol only just got my confirmation email from Manchester yesterday despite having received my OFFER on the 13th. When I saw the email I almost had a heart attack, thinking it meant they had revoked my offer!
APs taken: Lang (4), US History (5)
APs this year: Stat, US Gov, Comp Gov, Micro Econ, Macro Econ
SAT: 2020
Subject tests: Math 2 (750), World History (740), Literature (660)
Course I'm applying to: Business

The music from the 80s and early 90s introduced me to Manchester as a city and when a friend got into Edinburgh last year I looked into applying to the UK and now I'm not even applying to any US universities. I visited over the summer and I absolutely loved it.

Oh wow, you're coming a long way! I hope you love uni here :smile: where else have you applied?

I really wanted to go to a US uni but the fees were too expensive - £9000 in England is bad enough as it is :frown: I'm hoping to live in America in the future though. California would be nice... Actual SUN!
Original post by TTWNGCBC
Oh wow, you're coming a long way! I hope you love uni here :smile: where else have you applied?

I really wanted to go to a US uni but the fees were too expensive - £9000 in England is bad enough as it is :frown: I'm hoping to live in America in the future though. California would be nice... Actual SUN!

Warwick, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Durham who gave me an offer last week
Warwick, Edinburgh, Newcastle, and Durham who gave me an offer last week

Wow you already have an offer from Durham! Do you mind me asking when you applied? I sent my application on the 6th but don't have an offer yet.
Wow you already have an offer from Durham! Do you mind me asking when you applied? I sent my application on the 6th but don't have an offer yet.

September 15th
September 15th

Early bird 😉
Reply 91
who else is applying for biochem?:colondollar:
Reply 92
Original post by jaseho98
Just received an offer for Psychology at Manchester!!! :biggrin:

I'm applying for psychology! Maybe we'll be on the same course in the future :biggrin:

What were your predicted grades? And was your personal statement good? Really stressed im not gunna get an offer :frown:

Are you aware of the study abroad options? Depending on your degree programme, you could spend a semester or year studying at a US uni and still only pay UK tuition fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Are you aware of the study abroad options? Depending on your degree programme, you could spend a semester or year studying at a US uni and still only pay UK tuition fees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I have looked into that! It sounds like an amazing opportunity and one that I'd love to do but I'm slightly worried that leaving all my friends mid-way through uni would be a bit disruptive.
Yes, I have looked into that! It sounds like an amazing opportunity and one that I'd love to do but I'm slightly worried that leaving all my friends mid-way through uni would be a bit disruptive.

I don't know anyone who's done study abroad and regretted it :nah:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zoex101
I'm applying for psychology! Maybe we'll be on the same course in the future :biggrin:

What were your predicted grades? And was your personal statement good? Really stressed im not gunna get an offer :frown:

Hehe my predicted is AAA! Offer was AAB, but they've asked if I was interested in changing to Neuroscience with Psycology; so I did! Hope you get an offer! Where else are you applying to? X pm me :smile:
Just got an interview for Theoretical Physics!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by McRite
Since no one has posted a general thread for people applying this year, unless I haven't seen it.

AS/A2 subjects:
AS/A2 grades:
Course applying for:

Don't forget to mention why you made UoM one of your choices :smile:

Me:

Where from: Botswana
AS/A2 subjects: Computing, Chemistry, Maths, Physics (Dropped Chem at A2)
AS/A2 grades: AAAB (AS), (Writing Oct/Nov A2 exams)
Course applying for: Electrical and Electronic Engineering

Age: 17Where from: IndiaIB subjects: Math HL, Physics HL, Chemistry HL, Hindi HL, English Lang Lit SL, Geo SLIB grades: (predicted) 40/42IGCSEs: 9 A*sCourse applying for: Mechanical engineering
Original post by Crazecatlady
Just got an interview for Theoretical Physics!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Wow congrats man! When did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest