The Student Room Group

Best universities for marine biology?

What the top universities for marine biology? Also, any advice on how to get experience because it is a competitive course?

Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by marinelife
What the top universities for marine biology? Also, any advice on how to get experience because it is a competitive course?

Thank you!!

Southampton is one of the leading experts in this field.
Original post by marinelife

Thank you!!

Southampton's definitely the first one that comes to mind since it's the home of the National Oceanography Centre and one of the leading universities in the world for the subject. I think Liverpool's also good for Marine Biology since there's an NOC branch there too.
Do you live near the sea now? presumably volunteering with a 'friends of' group e.g. http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/hilbre/vwork.htm or taking part in a coastal wildlife survey would look good on your PS
Original post by Plagioclase
Southampton's definitely the first one that comes to mind since it's the home of the National Oceanography Centre and one of the leading universities in the world for the subject. I think Liverpool's also good for Marine Biology since there's an NOC branch there too.

i have been to liverpool's ecology department and it was excellent so i suspect it's marine biology bit would be aswell :smile: i believe hull is also good for ecology and biology related things :h:
In your case Southampton's is the best))
Hi! My son is doing A level French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry & Marine Science. He has been advised to give up Marine Science. (We live in Spain by the sea & my son sailed for 7 years and has his PADI) He is considering a degree in Marine Biology. I know Marine Science is not a facilitating subject but he enjoys it! Is it worth doing? Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Antonia Jane
Hi! My son is doing A level French, Spanish, Biology, Chemistry & Marine Science. He has been advised to give up Marine Science. (We live in Spain by the sea & my son sailed for 7 years and has his PADI) He is considering a degree in Marine Biology. I know Marine Science is not a facilitating subject but he enjoys it! Is it worth doing? Thanks!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Entry requirements vary but I think it's fine to keep Marine Science as long as he drops either French or Spanish - he definitely should not drop Biology or Chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending