The Student Room Group

U.S. gun laws and the N.R.A.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jeremy1988
I believe that martial law needs to be declared so the military can come and take all of the guns. We would also need to have a very high number of police for several years afterwards. I think 20 years of martial law would be enough to find most of the guns and flesh out the anti-government types.

I feel that there's a very anarchist, anti-government mentality in this country, where people want to be completely self-reliant and unaccountable to the government, laws, or their community. Granted, it's probably worse where I live because I'm in Texas, but the point is that any part of the country where they value order and community has insanely high property values and rents, while this awful mentality permeates much of the rest.

All the anti-police rhetoric on the news only encourages this, and encourages the irrational self-defence/tough-guy/NRA mentality. A nation of laws should have appointed protectors and users of force. Every man for himself is the law of the jungle and the frontier, not of a civilized society built upon a social contract.

Of course there need to be guns, but the guns should be in the hands of the police and the military, and not common, ordinary people that will serve their self-interests rather than the interests of others. People who will just cause chaos and do whatever they want, possibly even overthrowing the government.

The fact that there are so many people comfortable living without laws, without direction, and without strong government is disturbing to me. I am determined to change this culture, because the people of this country deserve better than to live according to such flawed, populist notions promulgated by paranoid people who believe they are being oppressed. Many of these same people also believe they've been abducted by aliens, or that they have devices embedded in their bodies. And yet we allow people in this state of mind to vote and determine the course of our country. It's disheartening, really.

That's not even joined up thinking.

There a thing called "The Constitution". Declaring martial law to quash the Constitution (or part of it) is one of the reasons that Americans hold the right to bear guns so dearly - fear of government. You really prove the point. One of the reasons that people want to bear arms is fear that government will become despotic - and here you are recommending they do so by riding roughshod over the Constitution. It's a bizarre position to take.

Good luck trying to sell "strong government" to the "people of this country" (especially in Texas - maybe try Vermont instead?)
Original post by jeremy1988
I believe that martial law needs to be declared so the military can come and take all of the guns. We would also need to have a very high number of police for several years afterwards. I think 20 years of martial law would be enough to find most of the guns and flesh out the anti-government types.

I feel that there's a very anarchist, anti-government mentality in this country, where people want to be completely self-reliant and unaccountable to the government, laws, or their community. Granted, it's probably worse where I live because I'm in Texas, but the point is that any part of the country where they value order and community has insanely high property values and rents, while this awful mentality permeates much of the rest.

All the anti-police rhetoric on the news only encourages this, and encourages the irrational self-defence/tough-guy/NRA mentality. A nation of laws should have appointed protectors and users of force. Every man for himself is the law of the jungle and the frontier, not of a civilized society built upon a social contract.

Of course there need to be guns, but the guns should be in the hands of the police and the military, and not common, ordinary people that will serve their self-interests rather than the interests of others. People who will just cause chaos and do whatever they want, possibly even overthrowing the government.

The fact that there are so many people comfortable living without laws, without direction, and without strong government is disturbing to me. I am determined to change this culture, because the people of this country deserve better than to live according to such flawed, populist notions promulgated by paranoid people who believe they are being oppressed. Many of these same people also believe they've been abducted by aliens, or that they have devices embedded in their bodies. And yet we allow people in this state of mind to vote and determine the course of our country. It's disheartening, really.

So much wrong with this post its ridiculous.

The anti-police sentiment is not overwhelming coming from the people who want to be self-reliant from government like the people you encounter in Texas. Its largely coming from the people who are more likely to be dependent on government and in fact often don't have much hope of being independent of the state. This is often encouraged by those at the top with agendas to push such as the financier of black lives matter Soros.

Guns should only be in the hands of state actors because normal citizens are only interested in themselves while obviously its impossible for state employees to be self interested and abuse their power? Ha what a joke of a statement really.
Reply 22
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
So much wrong with this post its ridiculous.

The anti-police sentiment is not overwhelming coming from the people who want to be self-reliant from government like the people you encounter in Texas. Its largely coming from the people who are more likely to be dependent on government and in fact often don't have much hope of being independent of the state. This is often encouraged by those at the top with agendas to push such as the financier of black lives matter Soros.

Guns should only be in the hands of state actors because normal citizens are only interested in themselves while obviously its impossible for state employees to be self interested and abuse their power? Ha what a joke of a statement really.

I agree. Absolutely bonkers.
Original post by Howard
You see, the problem is that that ship sailed a very long time ago.

There are MILLIONS & MILLIONS of guns in the US - (registered and unregistered) Nobody is ever going to pass a law at Federal level requiring they be handed in (for a start that would require a change in the Constitution - ain't happening) and if they could even do that, those that had registered guns would resist doing what the law requires, and they'd still be millions on unregistered weapons out there.

Just as an example, I actually purchased a semi-automatic AK47 at a gun fair in Orlando. I no longer own it but the point is that I paid cash for it. No questions asked. No bill of sale. I've no idea who I bought it from and the guy who sold it has no idea who he sold it to. Whatever laws are passed you'll never get those gray market weapons off the streets.

So, the only thing left to do is ensure that you can protect yourself and your family by staying locked and loaded.

What about if the sale of ammunition became heavily restricted, new guns had to be made so that ammunition will only fit that model and no others, and if a cash incentive was offered to hand in guns. Do you think that would make any difference?
Original post by Howard
That's not even joined up thinking.

There a thing called "The Constitution". Declaring martial law to quash the Constitution (or part of it) is one of the reasons that Americans hold the right to bear guns so dearly - fear of government. You really prove the point. One of the reasons that people want to bear arms is fear that government will become despotic - and here you are recommending they do so by riding roughshod over the Constitution. It's a bizarre position to take.

Good luck trying to sell "strong government" to the "people of this country" (especially in Texas - maybe try Vermont instead?)

If you're paranoid enough to actually believe thay the governmrnt will do this, as was said in the video posted, when they have the army, navy, drones, chemical and nuclear weapons, do you really think that ordinary people with their guns would be any match?
Original post by Howard
for a start that would require a change in the Constitution

Would it?

There is very little caselaw on the 2nd amendment. The Supreme Court has a tradition of ducking cases on the issue.

Leaving aside the "only arms for a militia" argument, what is to stop the Supreme Court saying that there is a constitutional right to bear smooth bore muzzle loading weapons firing solid projectiles propelled by black powder and only those?

And if that isn't the case why isn't there a constitutional right to bear an H Bomb?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Melancholy
How about we sell the guns, right, but no bullets? But I guess people would start putting things like jaffa cakes in the holes and shooting them out at dangerous speeds. It's a tough one.

I'm fairly sure this is what Switzerland does. It allows citizens to own a gun but you need a good reason to actually have the ammunition, hence why its gun crime rate is so low whilst gun ownership is high.

But ofc this is America so there would just end up being a massive black market for ammunition instead.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
They have a saner attitude to self protection than we do. I'd rather self reliant, moral people could own weapons for self defense than the only people that get guns are the corrupt agents of the state and degenerate criminal scum.

Not a US citizen, but did live there for 6 years in the South east. Believe me, if you heard the crap that comes out of a lot of Americans mouths, especially in the South, you would understand that the words sane and moral shouldn't be in the same sentence as American. A lot of the middle class, white, republican christians would like it back the way things were before desegregation.
As for self reliant- they aren't. They hire people to do everything- clean the house, mow the lawn, walk the dog, clean their cars etc etc. And that's not the rich, it's the average person. I mean at High School in final year students had allocated, numbered parking spaces. And I'm talking about 500 students here! The traffic jams in and out of school were hideous, but most of the kids refused to get on the school bus,even though it picked you up at the bottom of the drive.
The sane bit doesn't work, because anyone can go to a gun fair and buy a gun. They might be sane, or not. Who knows or cares. They might be sane one minute and then they have a bad day and a little too much alcohol, or learn their other half has been having an affair and that gun in the bedside drawer or coat pocket is way too handy.
Original post by Inexorably
I'm fairly sure this is what Switzerland does. It allows citizens to own a gun but you need a good reason to actually have the ammunition, hence why its gun crime rate is so low whilst gun ownership is high.

But ofc this is America so there would just end up being a massive black market for ammunition instead.

Incorrect, private ammunition is freely available in Switzerland.
Original post by VV Cephei A
Incorrect, private ammunition is freely available in Switzerland.

Apologies, I did just double check and I was mistaken - I got confused with a ban on types of army ammunition in Switzerland :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by nulli tertius
Would it?

There is very little caselaw on the 2nd amendment. The Supreme Court has a tradition of ducking cases on the issue.

Leaving aside the "only arms for a militia" argument, what is to stop the Supreme Court saying that there is a constitutional right to bear smooth bore muzzle loading weapons firing solid projectiles propelled by black powder and only those?

And if that isn't the case why isn't there a constitutional right to bear an H Bomb?

The highest court in the land has spoken on it:

In District of Columbia Et al. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

So yes, it would require a constitutional amendment.
Original post by Howard
The highest court in the land has spoken on it:

In District of Columbia Et al. v. Heller, the Supreme Court held that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home.

So yes, it would require a constitutional amendment.

What part of:-

Leaving aside the "only arms for a militia" argument

did you struggle to understand?

Scalia J in the Heller case does comment on what are "arms" for the purpose of the US Constitution but that really wasn't in issue in that case (none of the dissenters address it) and he gets in an awful mess with the decision in Miller that really cannot stand with Heller on this subject and ends up with circular reasoning.

However, that is by the by. The Supreme Court frequent speaks and then changes its mind and speaks again differently. Do you seriously think that if one of the majority judges was gunned down by a crazed schoolboy and was replaced by Obama with say Andrew Cuomo the decision in Heller would not be effectively be reversed at the first opportunity?

Essentially the definition of what are "arms" for the purposes of the 2nd Amendment is a much more promising area for argument than the rather sterile "only arms for a militia" argument. You only have to ask the question would the founding fathers have held that a widow had the right to keep a gun to see that the "only arms for a militia" argument is nonsense.
Reply 32
Original post by nulli tertius
What part of:-

did you struggle to understand?

Scalia J in the Heller case does comment on what are "arms" for the purpose of the US Constitution but that really wasn't in issue in that case (none of the dissenters address it) and he gets in an awful mess with the decision in Miller that really cannot stand with Heller on this subject and ends up with circular reasoning.

However, that is by the by. The Supreme Court frequent speaks and then changes its mind and speaks again differently. Do you seriously think that if one of the majority judges was gunned down by a crazed schoolboy and was replaced by Obama with say Andrew Cuomo the decision in Heller would not be effectively be reversed at the first opportunity?

Essentially the definition of what are "arms" for the purposes of the 2nd Amendment is a much more promising area for argument than the rather sterile "only arms for a militia" argument. You only have to ask the question would the founding fathers have held that a widow had the right to keep a gun to see that the "only arms for a militia" argument is nonsense.

I'm not going to sit here splitting hairs with you. If you imagine that guns could be taken away from private individuals in the US without a change in the Constitution you're simply delusional. Get yourself a tin foil hat.
Original post by Howard
I'm not going to sit here splitting hairs with you. If you imagine that guns could be taken away from private individuals in the US without a change in the Constitution you're simply delusional. Get yourself a tin foil hat.

I think that was probably the same view that was held regarding segregated schools and school prayer with much bigger constituencies in favour than the gun lobby.
Original post by Howard

Let's be honest here. The constitution is essentially just a piece of paper. It has been violated multiple times already and right now the United States is the most powerful empire of all time, even though that power is looking like it is waning, which means that there is little a piece of paper or the common citizenry could do if the federal government tried to seriously crack down on guns.
I am an American. The mass shooting problem here in the US isn't because we have too many guns. It's because we have a degenerate culture. Guns have been around for a very long time in large numbers here. In the early 20th century guns were very prevalent as hunting and shooting competitions were popular. Yet we didn't have mass shootings. Our culture has changed. Through our media we have glorified violence and become desensitized to it. Guns are not the problem. Our people are. Aside from the gun violence we have become a nation of pop culture obsessed, shallow, materialistic douchebags. The average American couldn't name a single supreme court justice but they could tell you the name of Taylor Swift's latest song or name all Kardashian sisters (proudly I could do neither of those.) I blame our media and advertising industry for the most part. Entertainment and immediate gratification are the name of the game here. The media and advertisers have been successful in pulling off a non invasive frontal lobotomy on roughly half the population. America doesn't need more guns, it needs a complete intellectual, moral, and cultural renaissance. This isn't likely to happen though and America will continue to slide into the abyss. However it's not like you Brits and other Europeans are doing much better. At the moment you're currently bent over grabbing your ankles while radical islamofascists (how can I say this in a way you'll understand) are giving you a jolly good rogering in the bum. Good luck trying to avoid sharia in the next 50 years while doing what you must to appease the native born politically correct multiculturalist freaks in your midst.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending