The Student Room Group

Is the choice of tutors important for interview?

Hi I'm applying for biological sciences at Oxford. I was wondering if the choice of tutors is important for the interview itself. I know that it isn't important overall as you move between colleges for tutors in later years. At the moment I'm applying for Brasenose college which I love. My only concern is that the tutors are all experts in fields I'm not really as good on. So would they be more likely to talk about their interests rather than mine. Obviously I love all areas of biology but I am worried that they wouldn't talk about the areas I've been researching.
1. They are there to interview YOU, not talk about their work (unless it's relevant to the topic at hand)

2. The tutors choose the objects for the interview (as far as I know) but it could be anything, a skull, a plant, etc. It doesn't matter what their field is.

3. Do not try to read up all about their field to try and 'impress' them. It will not end well. Instead make sure you have a rough idea of what their research interests are but leave it at that - remember the interview is all about you and how you think.

Most importantly, remember that the tutor/s will be teaching you tuts when you go to Oxford, so look beyond the interview.
Put your interests in you PS, and they might ask you about it. Alternatively, they might not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending