The Student Room Group

Need help on Plato Allegory 0-0!! (philosophy)

Hi i'm doing philosophy which I love but when it comes to Plato , my brain gets lost. IM REALLY CONFUSED. I asked my teacher for help but she explains it the most complicated way which my dumb brain don't get. I did my own research which kind of helped but I still don understand especially when it comes to answering exam questions eg Plato does not value experience enough.... I really don't understand Plato allegory and the concept of form??? what is form? plz help - I like it simply explained .

thank you/areegato ^-^
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Am not specialized in philosophy, but let me try and see if I can help...

Through out history of philosophy there has been an ongoing debate about, does existence proceed form or not, or are they dual by nature?

According to some philosophers, if you want to analyze and object for instance, the existence and form of that object are one in the outside world, and can be analyzed in our mind in away that splits form from existence, or the other way round depending on what do you believe that proceeds existence or essence.

What was before this world, a world of abstraction or nothing?
The question would be how did that abstract world connect to this physical world?
The abstract world, is timeless and dimensionless world that proceeds this physical world?
Why is it reasonable according to some philosophers to assume an abstract world?
Because according to them the god they believe in is abstract, so the first world to exist must be abstract as well, based on the fact the effect is of the essence of the cause.
The question is, what is the relation or how did abstraction descend to physicality, is to do with the concept of motion in philosophy, and according to this form of philosophy time and space existed together, some what similar to the idea of Professor S Hawking, this form of philosophy can support the concept of evolution with slight modification, but it all depends which part of the essence or form we define motion.

This world according to some philosophers is not perfect, but it holds a reflection of perfection in an ideal world.

In a very general sense, how would you convert the limited physical object into perfect abstract reality?

You may think of form in one way as the property, attribute, and boundary of a certain object that exists.

Am not going to say which school of philosophy is more realistic or rational, because first of all, all of these topics are debatable, secondly, in order to understand the universal concept of existence and form, you need to form your own school of rationality.

This is the most informal way I could think of Plato's philosophy, however I personally disagree with him that essence or form proceeds existence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DaraPark
Hi i'm doing philosophy which I love but when it comes to Plato , my brain gets lost. IM REALLY CONFUSED. I asked my teacher for help but she explains it the most complicated way which my dumb brain don't get. I did my own research which kind of helped but I still don understand especially when it comes to answering exam questions eg Plato does not value experience enough.... I really don't understand Plato allegory and the concept of form??? what is form? plz help - I like it simply explained .

thank you/areegato ^-^

Hi there! There's a good explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7xjoHruQfY

(3mins in)

:h:

Quick Reply

Latest