The Student Room Group

forensic psychology and criminology

Hello,
My name is Emma and I am currently taking a gap year and applying again for university this year, to go to university in Scotland starting in September 2016. I am applying for forensic psychology and criminology, along with forensic science courses, and was wondering if there is anything i could do throughout my gap year that would be useful for going towards helping me get into any of these courses?
I am currently working basically full time and doing 2 highers at a college, higher psychology and higher sociology, but I feel i could do more than just that, and i could put my time to better use towards helping me stand out in the crowd as I know the forensic psychology course will be competitive.
Would helping out in a local community centre or a youth club be any use? I am not too sure as to what would help, but any feedback would be very helpful!!

Thank you !! :smile: :smile:
Are you intending to become a forensic psychologist? Or do you have a different career path in mind?

Where do you work at the moment?

Volunteering of any kind will be helpful, the uni's will like it if you're showing general dedication outside of school and especially if it is 'psychological' (in the sense of helping others). Older people's homes, Barnardo's and other charities, childline, befriending services - there's quite a lot out there.

If you want something more forensic orientated, volunteer with the Youth Offending Service, some great opportunities both in terms of working with people and becoming familiar with how the law is actually applied.
Reply 2
I like the sound of working with young offenders, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I would like to do something involved in the legal system. I just work at Tesco.

I will need to get some volunteering organised then, I was thinking of an old peoples home so hopefully that helps. I don't thing there is a place where I could volunteer with the Youth Offending Service where I live though, I will need to look into it!

Thank you very much for your help!! :smile:
Is the course you're looking at accredited by the BPS? The criminology component might prevent that.

Do you live in Scotland? I'm not sure how youth justice is set up there specifically. But in England, everywhere has a local youth offending service.

But at this stage (pre-uni) any relevant experience will be fine - so an older people's home is good.

Quick Reply

Latest