The Student Room Group

Birkbeck or university of leeds

BPP will mean I stay close to home (which ideally I want) and Leeds is a Russell group university... What would you pick?
depends, how important is staying close to home
Original post by Nznz101
BPP will mean I stay close to home (which ideally I want) and Leeds is a Russell group university... What would you pick?

Where does Birkbeck come in?
Reply 3
Really want to stay home... But people are telling me I would be a fool to miss out on a opportunity like this. But in all honestly I don't think I really care about league tables..
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Where does Birkbeck come in?

It offers the course I want and is very near to me. It is also a respected institution.
Original post by Nznz101
It offers the course I want and is very near to me. It is also a respected institution.

But you mention Birkbeck in the title of the thread and BPP in the post. Which are you considering?
Reply 6
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
But you mention Birkbeck in the title of the thread and BPP in the post. Which are you considering?

Sorry I'm considering birkbeck*
Original post by Nznz101
Sorry I'm considering birkbeck*

Go to Birkbeck - it is highly respected. You don't get the full student experience because it is mainly evening classes and mature students. But it is part of the university of London.

I went to Birkbeck and my degree has always been appreciated
Hey, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Birkbeck only do part-time/evening classes?
Reply 9
Original post by slightlyhomeless
Hey, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Birkbeck only do part-time/evening classes?

It basically does evening classes yeah. You can choose the option of full time or part time
Reply 10
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Go to Birkbeck - it is highly respected. You don't get the full student experience because it is mainly evening classes and mature students. But it is part of the university of London.

I went to Birkbeck and my degree has always been appreciated

Wow really? What did you study? And did you enjoy being in London?
Original post by Nznz101
Wow really? What did you study? And did you enjoy being in London?

I did a geography degree BSc hons. I loved being in London - but I was living in Greenwich at the time.

Don't underestimate the amount of work you need to do - most students are working too - as was I. Full time with a young child.
Reply 12
I don't know anything about Birkbeck, but Leeds is a great uni and a brilliant city.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think Birkbeck is a good option because it allows you to get some work experience or do an internship during the day.
The core difference between the two is that Birkbeck teaches exclusively in the evenings. So, it attracts a lot of students who are older, in full time work and with kids. There are very few 18 year olds studying there. If you want the student experience - with societies, coursemates at a similar stage of life to you and socials, it's probably not the uni for you. If you just want the degree then it's fine.

Being nervous about leaving home is entirely normal, but almost all students find that they settle in very quickly and come to enjoy themselves.

Have you visited Leeds and Birkbeck yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
birkbeck! living outside of the capital is hell. London residents hate and regret moving out, including me!
Original post by Thighs
birkbeck! living outside of the capital is hell. London residents hate and regret moving out, including me!

Living in the capital is hell! I moved there after having lived in the NW & SW, and I can't say I like it. Expensive, grubby and oversized.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
I mean, even if you don't care about the league tables and etc. Your employer will care about these aspects of you. In fact, your future employer wouldn't even know who you are in the first place. That is the reason why these type of people will depend on your specifications such as the reputation of uni you went to, type of degree you got, how much you are willing to devote yourself in workplace etc etc. Leeds is not just far better in just league tables. There is a reason why they are so respected and placed in one of top 15 universities in UK and top 100 worldwide. I am sorry but you can not compare those unis each other. I am not saying Birkbeck is a bad university but I have to say that Leeds is far better in many different aspects. I am sorry to say this but just because you have to live far out from the home and choosing Birkbek over Leeds is really a stupid reason to me.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending