The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Dundee University Applicants 2016

Hey everybody!

I thought I would create a thread for all who are applying to the University of Dundee for 2016 entry, even though personally I am a Direct Entry to Year 2 student at Dundee uni already.

So fill out the following:

Name:
GCSEs:
AS grades:
A2 subjects:
A2 (predictions or achieved):

If you have any questions about Dundee, I'd be happy to answer them - just quote or tag me!

EDIT: Here you can find the Connect Dundee University, and see which other TSRians are applying for your course. It's also a handy page for stalking and seeing what grades Dundee have asked for in previous years. :h:

If you're a medical student, there is a Dundee Medical Applicants thread also!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone! :smile:

Name: Therese
Course: English MA (Hons)

As you can see I'm a Swedish student (hence why I don't have predicted grades or such lol) I was just wondering if I've understood correctly, this integrated masters of the course being 4 years instead of 3, does it mean you can't study a postgraduate course after? If I for example graduate from this course, I can't then decide I perhaps want to study a taught postgraduate course in let's say, England?

I'm just curious because it has been recently brought to my attention that it's kind of like "half" masters, and you can continue to study a "whole" postgraduate course if you want to. Or is this all rubbish? Thank you and have a nice day! :biggrin:
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Original post by Tessie Ericsson
Hello everyone! :smile:

Name: Therese
Course: English MA (Hons)

As you can see I'm a Swedish student (hence why I don't have predicted grades or such lol) I was just wondering if I've understood correctly, this integrated masters of the course being 4 years instead of 3, does it mean you can't study a postgraduate course after? If I for example graduate from this course, I can't then decide I perhaps want to study a taught postgraduate course in let's say, England?

I'm just curious because it has been recently brought to my attention that it's kind of like "half" masters, and you can continue to study a "whole" postgraduate course if you want to. Or is this all rubbish? Thank you and have a nice day! :biggrin:

As far as I understand, you can continue to study postgrad after you finish your English MA. Whether it be in Scotland or England.

A bit of advice though: The Scottish MA is equivalent to an English BA. (They're weird here. It's due to the fact that in Scotland they finish school a year earlier than we do in the UK and Northern Ireland. It's why I have skipped first year myself - it would be like me doing my A Levels all over again.)
Original post by Airmed
As far as I understand, you can continue to study postgrad after you finish your English MA. Whether it be in Scotland or England.

A bit of advice though: The Scottish MA is equivalent to an English BA. (They're weird here. It's due to the fact that in Scotland they finish school a year earlier than we do in the UK and Northern Ireland. It's why I have skipped first year myself - it would be like me doing my A Levels all over again.)

Wow, thank you! My friend who's also studying English (though we're not applying to the same unis) didn't apply to Aberdeen even though she really liked the school because of that exact reason. We both thought that you couldn't do a postgraduate course after.

Do you have any idea as to when you get your offer from Dundee? Or Scottish universities in general as I've applied to two of them (and three unis in England). I've already got an unconditional offer from one of the English universities, but I've gotten the impression that in Scotland you have to wait a while?

And thanks for the great response! :smile:
Reply 4
Wow, thank you! My friend who's also studying English (though we're not applying to the same unis) didn't apply to Aberdeen even though she really liked the school because of that exact reason. We both thought that you couldn't do a postgraduate course after.

Do you have any idea as to when you get your offer from Dundee? Or Scottish universities in general as I've applied to two of them (and three unis in England). I've already got an unconditional offer from one of the English universities, but I've gotten the impression that in Scotland you have to wait a while?

And thanks for the great response! :smile:

Oh, bad luck for your friend! :frown:

Ah, responses! All really depends on the university! But for me, last year, I applied for 3 Scottish unis - Glasgow, St Andrews and Dundee. I sent away my application on the 10th of December 2014.

Glasgow offer received on the 15th December.
Dundee offer received on the 19th December.
St Andrews rejection received in late March!

So it really depends on the course you've applied for and sometimes your fee status, I've been told.
Original post by Airmed
Oh, bad luck for your friend! :frown:

Ah, responses! All really depends on the university! But for me, last year, I applied for 3 Scottish unis - Glasgow, St Andrews and Dundee. I sent away my application on the 10th of December 2014.

Glasgow offer received on the 15th December.
Dundee offer received on the 19th December.
St Andrews rejection received in late March!

So it really depends on the course you've applied for and sometimes your fee status, I've been told.

Oh, okay! Them at least I know around what time to expect to get an offer, and not have to constantly check mail every two minutes haha. And one last question, just how high (or low) are the entry requirements to get in! Because for Swedish student the requirements seems ridiculously low. For the school of humanities the entry requirements were an average of G (which is equivalent to an E/D in the ABC grading system), but yet Dundee seems to be relatively high up in the league tables rating.
Reply 6
Name: Veronika
Course: Psychology with German

As you can see, I'm an international student so I don't really have GCSE or A-levels grades. But my predicted grades are 1111 - which is the same as AAAA. My alternative GSCEs would be 9As and 6Bs. So I think I have pretty good grades.

Anyway, I was wondering what exactly is the difference between Psychology with German MA and Psychology with German BSc. Because Dundee offers both and I'm apparently not able to find the difference.
Reply 7
Oh, okay! Them at least I know around what time to expect to get an offer, and not have to constantly check mail every two minutes haha. And one last question, just how high (or low) are the entry requirements to get in! Because for Swedish student the requirements seems ridiculously low. For the school of humanities the entry requirements were an average of G (which is equivalent to an E/D in the ABC grading system), but yet Dundee seems to be relatively high up in the league tables rating.

Dundee's entry requirements are on the rise, actually, from what I've heard. We're also ranked #1 Scottish university, so our reputation is decent. As long as you have the entry requirement and a strong ps, you'll be fine. :smile:

Original post by Vonnie97
Name: Veronika
Course: Psychology with German

As you can see, I'm an international student so I don't really have GCSE or A-levels grades. But my predicted grades are 1111 - which is the same as AAAA. My alternative GSCEs would be 9As and 6Bs. So I think I have pretty good grades.

Anyway, I was wondering what exactly is the difference between Psychology with German MA and Psychology with German BSc. Because Dundee offers both and I'm apparently not able to find the difference.

Hey,

From what I know, the difference between the BSc and the MA is that the BSc is a lot more science focused? With the MA you can take elective modules - other subjects. Like I do Politics MA, and I also do modules in History and English.
Reply 8
Original post by Airmed
Dundee's entry requirements are on the rise, actually, from what I've heard. We're also ranked #1 Scottish university, so our reputation is decent. As long as you have the entry requirement and a strong ps, you'll be fine. :smile:

Hey,

From what I know, the difference between the BSc and the MA is that the BSc is a lot more science focused? With the MA you can take elective modules - other subjects. Like I do Politics MA, and I also do modules in History and English.

Thank you! I'll probably do MA because I'd love to do other modules as well.

Do you, by any chance, know how would my schedule look like? If I study Psychology and German, how many other subjects can I do?

What really worries me is also the fact that I really need to get a job once I am in Scotland. Generally the UK is much more expensive than the Czech Republic so I would definitely need to work. But I'm afraid I won't have much time to do this. Do you know how hard it is to get a part-time job in Dundee? Since that is quite important for me... :smile:
Original post by Airmed

Yeah, I've already sent in my application, so I'll just have to wait I guess. :smile:
Reply 10
Thank you! I'll probably do MA because I'd love to do other modules as well.

Do you, by any chance, know how would my schedule look like? If I study Psychology and German, how many other subjects can I do?

What really worries me is also the fact that I really need to get a job once I am in Scotland. Generally the UK is much more expensive than the Czech Republic so I would definitely need to work. But I'm afraid I won't have much time to do this. Do you know how hard it is to get a part-time job in Dundee? Since that is quite important for me... :smile:

I think you could only do one other subject. You have to take 6 modules a year, 3 per semester, but you could do 2 subjects extra if you only do one module for each instead of 2 (they usually come in pairs.)

Part time wise, you have to get in there earlier. Dundee has 2 universities so there is a lot of students.
Reply 11
Yeah, I've already sent in my application, so I'll just have to wait I guess. :smile:

Good luck, anyway! If you need to know anything else, just ask. :smile:
Original post by Airmed

Thank you! I'll probably have a million and one questions if I do get in and choose Dundee! So if that's the case, I'll get back to you in a few months. :h:
Reply 13
Original post by Airmed
I think you could only do one other subject. You have to take 6 modules a year, 3 per semester, but you could do 2 subjects extra if you only do one module for each instead of 2 (they usually come in pairs.)

Part time wise, you have to get in there earlier. Dundee has 2 universities so there is a lot of students.

Well, that's going to be fun. Anyway, thank you for the answers. :smile:
Original post by Airmed

Just thought of a question I've been thinking about for awhile now; whilst living in halls, are you able to order thing online and have it be sent to your hall of residence? Or at least some sort of post office? And are you allowed to change the curtains in your room? Thanks :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Just thought of a question I've been thinking about for awhile now; whilst living in halls, are you able to order thing online and have it be sent to your hall of residence? Or at least some sort of post office? And are you allowed to change the curtains in your room? Thanks :tongue:

Can't change the curtains due to flat inspections monthly (which are at random). And yes, you can get things delivered to your flat - we've all had textbooks delivered here, in fact I'm waiting for a few late birthday presents to arrive today. :tongue:
Original post by Airmed
Can't change the curtains due to flat inspections monthly (which are at random). And yes, you can get things delivered to your flat - we've all had textbooks delivered here, in fact I'm waiting for a few late birthday presents to arrive today. :tongue:

Oh okay, great! Even bigger items such as printers and such? Since I can't bring everything I own from Sweden, I have to buy everything once I get there. And happy belated birthday :smile:
Reply 17
Yes, happy birthday!

Oh okay, great! Even bigger items such as printers and such? Since I can't bring everything I own from Sweden, I have to buy everything once I get there. And happy belated birthday :smile:

I've been thinking about this a lot. I can't really afford buying everything since we are really not that rich and the UK is much more expensive than the Czech Republic. Anyway, I've read about these services that you can use. So my plan is to pack everything in boxes and have them send to me once I get to Scotland. I'm going to buy the necessary, of course, but I'm definitely using this. :smile:
Yes, happy birthday!

I've been thinking about this a lot. I can't really afford buying everything since we are really not that rich and the UK is much more expensive than the Czech Republic. Anyway, I've read about these services that you can use. So my plan is to pack everything in boxes and have them send to me once I get to Scotland. I'm going to buy the necessary, of course, but I'm definitely using this. :smile:

Yeah, its been worrying me a lot, too. The prices between Scotland and Sweden I doesn't really differ much (especially since I live in Stockholm), but it feels kind of ridiculous to just buy everything down there, if I already own it here. So that's a good idea, I'll probably do it that way, too. I hadn't even thought of that, so thanks :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Yeah, its been worrying me a lot, too. The prices between Scotland and Swedish I doesn't really differ much (especially since I live in Stockholm), but it feels kind of ridiculous to just buy everything down there, if I already own it here. So that's a good idea, I'll probably do it that way, too. I hadn't even thought of that, so thanks :h:

You're welcome! Glad I could help. :smile:

Latest