The Student Room Group

History revision advice?

Hey everyone ! basically I have just started studying AS history (AQA board) and I was just wandering if anyone had any useful advice on how to revise for it because I really want an A! :smile: x
Reply 1
Hiya, i'm also studying AQA History at AS and am predicted an A. What topics are you covering? At the moment i read over all of my notes after every lesson and then add in more notes from various textbooks. After each 'chapter' i form a little booket with a condensed version of all the notes in then i do one essay based question relating to the topic and get it marked. (As we've only just started i have only finished one chapter but i hope to continue like this and get am A) Good Luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zara0526
Hiya, i'm also studying AQA History at AS and am predicted an A. What topics are you covering? At the moment i read over all of my notes after every lesson and then add in more notes from various textbooks. After each 'chapter' i form a little booket with a condensed version of all the notes in then i do one essay based question relating to the topic and get it marked. (As we've only just started i have only finished one chapter but i hope to continue like this and get am A) Good Luck :smile:

Im covering tsarist and communist Russia and making of modern Britain so its interesting! and thank you they sound good ideas! :smile: x
Hello, three bits of advice (and a plug :smile:):

1. Work out patterns in how questions are structured. Most will start with something like:

Was the wall street crash the sole reason Hitler gained power? Justify your answer

There's always a keyword like 'justify'. Others are 'describe', 'examine', 'explain' etc. Each require you to structure your arguments differently so work out generally how examiners want you to approach each question type. You can even build a rough template for each, then just plug in the key events and analysis.

2. Memorise pivotal events, the causes/events that preceeded them and the events that came after. Some will be more or less related to them. For example, Hitler's election success. Key events before: wall street crash, hyperinflation, weak and ineffective governments, WW1 reparations. Events that came after: constitutional manipulation to secure control, bully squads at votes etc.

What this allows you to do is answer most question types quite quickly: you can describe, justify why something happened, explain why something happened, attribute cause and effect. It basically gives you all the material to put into point 1. This bit requires a lot of memorising.

In an exam you don't need to be 'right'. You just need to be stack evidence up to support your argument, and you can do this quickly and easily if you know what came before and after pivotal events. It's then your decision which you think were most influential.

3. Practice past papers. The number 1 skill you need to learn is forming and writing an agrument in a short space of time. Just do it over and over again until you do it without thinking. Learn when you need to have hit key milestones (like finishing the introduction or moving onto your last paragraph).

Finally, use the free learning tools on The Student Room. Seriously--all the past papers you could need, thousands of sets of revision notes and flashcards all here www.thestudentroom.com/g/resources

Why I know what I'm talking about: got over 80% in History A2 and 100% in two exams. Did essay writing subjects at uni that required me to do this over and over again.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending