The Student Room Group

Oxbridge

Does it matter if you take 4 or 5 a levels. For example, would Oxbridge choose someone else over you because they are taking 5 a levels whereas I am only taking 4??
Reply 1
Honestly, Oxford would firstly look at the grades that you got as a person with eg AAA*A* is far better than a person with 5 A-levels who got eg AAA*B. My sister got into Oxford with 3 A-Levels for law at A*A* A. This is because after looking at grades Oxford love to look at a persons social life. Do they volounteer? Give back to the community? This is because they want people with character not ones who just study. Lastly, the interview is very important as it allows them to see how you cope when you get nervous and what type of person you are. Thus, you shouldnt worry that you wont get into Oxford with 4 A-Levels as thats just a small part of the picture. I would highly recommend that you do volunteering (charitable and in the aspect which relates to your choosen course). Good Luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zara0526
Honestly, Oxford would firstly look at the grades that you got as a person with eg AAA*A* is far better than a person with 5 A-levels who got eg AAA*B. My sister got into Oxford with 3 A-Levels for law at A*A* A. This is because after looking at grades Oxford love to look at a persons social life. Do they volounteer? Give back to the community? This is because they want people with character not ones who just study. Lastly, the interview is very important as it allows them to see how you cope when you get nervous and what type of person you are. Thus, you shouldnt worry that you wont get into Oxford with 4 A-Levels as thats just a small part of the picture. I would highly recommend that you do volunteering (charitable and in the aspect which relates to your choosen course). Good Luck :smile:

No they really don't.

But yes, three A-levels are fine. Most will have four (particularly if one of them is Further Maths). Five+ are not needed.
This is because after looking at grades Oxford love to look at a persons social life. Do they volounteer? Give back to the community? This is because they want people with character not ones who just study.

From what I've heard and watched, Oxbridge don't care about what you do in extracurricular terms.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
No they really don't.

Original post by CloakedSpartan
From what I've heard and watched, Oxbridge don't care about what you do in extracurricular terms.

Ahh, my school is constantly telling us that Oxford look at extracurricular activities as much as they look at grades at tbh we have a lot if people who get into Oxbridge :smile:
Ahh, my school is constantly telling us that Oxford look at extracurricular activities as much as they look at grades at tbh we have a lot if people who get into Oxbridge :smile:

Yeah, I think if you search online you'll find that almost every single place with info about applying to oxbridge states they only really care about the "super-curricular" side of things, rather than the extra-curricular side. They believe you're better off improving your grades vs than trying to do a DofE award or something.

EDIT: A bit of a source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-m4hWACqLM
(edited 8 years ago)

Nonsense. If you look carefully on the Oxford and Cambridge websites you will find that they tell you that ECs are of no interest to them. I suggest you find it and then point it out to your school.
Reply 7
Original post by CloakedSpartan
Yeah, I think if you search online you'll find that almost every single place with info about applying to oxbridge states they only really care about the "super-curricular" side of things, rather than the extra-curricular side. They believe you're better off improving your grades vs than trying to do a DofE award or something.

EDIT: A bit of a source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-m4hWACqLM

My school dont mean DOFE they make us all learn an instrument and play a sport :smile:
Reply 8
My school dont mean DOFE they make us all learn an instrument and play a sport :smile:

And are also not in the least relevant for Oxbridge. (Unless you are doing music for the former.)

Do them because you enjoy them, not becasue they will help you get admitted to Cambridge or Oxford (they won't).

yeah, sorry but I agree with above posters - sport/an instrument means literally nothing for Oxbridge. In almost all cases putting those would be a waste of characters on a personal statement
Original post by midgemeister7
yeah, sorry but I agree with above posters - sport/an instrument means literally nothing for Oxbridge. In almost all cases putting those would be a waste of characters on a personal statement

What would you recommend putting on a personal statement??
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by pandasandpens
Does it matter if you take 4 or 5 a levels. For example, would Oxbridge choose someone else over you because they are taking 5 a levels whereas I am only taking 4??

Someone doing 5 A-levels demonstrates a better ability to cope with workload, but apart from that, it will give very little advantage. Doing 5 A-levels could have negatives: UMS scores might be lower, and there are likely to be irrelevant subjects, which universities might see as showing a lack of commitment to the chosen degree subject.

As far as I know, very few people do 5 A-levels. However, if there is 1 place left and you're against a candidate who has an extra A-level, but is otherwise identical, then they would surely get the offer.

Stuff to do with the subject you're applying for, books read, areas of interest etc etc ('super curricular'). I've put a token line or two in mine about sport but I am aware Oxbridge tutors really couldn't care less.
Reply 13
Original post by ombtom
Someone doing 5 A-levels demonstrates a better ability to cope with workload, but apart from that, it will give very little advantage. Doing 5 A-levels could have negatives: UMS scores might be lower, and there are likely to be irrelevant subjects, which universities might see as showing a lack of commitment to the chosen degree subject.

As far as I know, very few people do 5 A-levels. However, if there is 1 place left and you're against a candidate who has an extra A-level, but is otherwise identical, then they would surely get the offer.

Doesn't happen.

A 5th A-level is not needed, and as you correctly say, may negatively impact their ability to do very well in the other 3 much more important A-levels (needed to meet the offer).
Reply 14
Last edited by Zara0526; 29 minutes ago at 21:38.
Reason: Accidentally put kisses on the end... Forgot it wasnt a text

Repped.
Original post by pandasandpens

3 relevant A levels in year 13 is all that is expected. It is far better to excel in 3 than to do less well in 4 or more. The number of A levels taken forms no part of our admissions process. Applicants from different backgrounds have very unequal levels of opportunity to study additional subjects and we do not want to disadvantage anybody. Doing well in relevant subjects is good preparation for our demanding and in-depth courses.

Irrelevant extracurriculars (i.e. not directly and academically relevant to the course you're applying for) also don't play any role in our decisions.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending