The Student Room Group

I don't understand bisexual people?

So what happens... do they wake up one day sexually aroused by the same sex and then the next moment by someone of the opposite sex? Or is this all the time?

As a straight, white and clearly very priviledged guy, I don't have this "issue" obviously. I'm always sexually attracted to women and will get horny just by getting a smile. I suppose that makes me a pervert as well, smh.

How are they then as likely to cheat as someone who is straight?

Don't they get a lack of intimacy with someone of the same sex when they're in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex?

Like a gap person who is married/in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex will do everything and anything to get with someone of the same sex... so might be more likely to cheat?

Forgive me, I'm ignorant and white.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Troll/10, no need to mention your race, or 'white privilege' because you can obviously be bisexual and white.

In the unlikely event you aren't trolling, everyone's on a spectrum, so while one can identify as bisexual that doesn't necessarily mean they like both genders equally. They could lean toward guys or girls.

Bisexual people aren't 'more likely to cheat' they aren't 'greedy' and they aren't any other stereotype one may claim they are. They're just people, and people can be loyal or disloyal regardless of sexuality.
we can be attracted to guys and girls. though if in a relationship with the opposite sex, we wont have cravings for anyother woman just because we haven't been with one for a while. either you are attracted to someone or you aren't, i can walk past girls and be like no i wouldn't date them and then another i could be like maybe. but if i like a guy then it is just the same as liking a girl. it doesn't make us more likely to cheat, if im in love with someone im not gonna cheat on them for someone of my own gender just because 'i feel like it'
Reply 3
Think of it like this...

A straight guy can be attracted to both brunettes and blondes. He might have a preference, but he can still be attracted to both, depending on the person. He (probably) doesn't wake up one day thinking 'Woah, I'm attracted to blondes today'. If he sees a brunette girl he really likes and decides to date her, he probably won't feel like he's missing out on a blonde girl, if he genuinely likes this brunette girl.
As an individual who identifies as pansexual, I feel attraction to people of any gender orientation and occasionally, I may lean towards the more hetero side of the spectrum, whilst other times I may feel a greater attraction to girls. Most of the time, I can be attracted to both a girl and a guy at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.
Also, sexual orientation has no influence on ones likeliness to cheat.
Its about the individual person, not just their gender. I am not attracted to all males and/or all females. I am attracted to individuals, it's just that sometimes they happen to be guys, and sometimes they happen to be girls.
I don't think you can generalise because bisexuality is a spectrum & is different for everyone. For me personally, I find that I now lean more towards same sex attraction whereas a few years ago I was more attracted to guys. I'm single at the moment but I can see myself in a same sex relationship more easily than a heterosexual one.
Original post by tomriddle
As an individual who identifies as pansexual

I can't get the idea out of my head that pansexuals just wanna bang kitchenware.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I can't get the idea out of my head that pansexuals just wanna bang kitchenware.

Yeah, man. You have no idea, I just look at a frying pan and suddenly I'm turned on af.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, man. You have no idea, I just look at a frying pan and suddenly I'm turned on af.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL. Seriously though I keep hearing the term 'pansexual' & I'm not totally sure what people mean by it. Just interested how you define it & in what way is it different to bisexual.
Reply 10
Original post by Alesha1991
LOL. Seriously though I keep hearing the term 'pansexual' & I'm not totally sure what people mean by it. Just interested how you define it & in what way is it different to bisexual.

People probably define it differently, but my understanding is:

Bisexual - 'bi' meaning two, so an attraction to two genders. This is typically the male and female binary - or, as I heard someone put it, being attracted to both ends of the gender spectrum but not really anything in between.

Pansexual - 'pan' meaning all (I think?), so an attraction to all genders and lack there-of. Pansexual people can be attracted to people who identify outside of the gender binary, so both ends of the gender spectrum and anything in between, as well as people who don't identify on the spectrum at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alesha1991

Well, it can also be called gender-blind which is pretty self explanatory in that it means we see no gender, or that gender does not matter/makes no difference. So basically, my attraction to a person has absolutely nothing to do with their gender identity.

Bisexuality is generally an attraction to both men and women, (however one could be bisexual and be attracted to any combination of two genders on the gender spectrum.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
So what happens... do they wake up one day sexually aroused by the same sex and then the next moment by someone of the opposite sex? Or is this all the time?

As a straight, white and clearly very priviledged guy, I don't have this "issue" obviously. I'm always sexually attracted to women and will get horny just by getting a smile. I suppose that makes me a pervert as well, smh.

How are they then as likely to cheat as someone who is straight?

Don't they get a lack of intimacy with someone of the same sex when they're in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex?

Like a gap person who is married/in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex will do everything and anything to get with someone of the same sex... so might be more likely to cheat?

Forgive me, I'm ignorant and white.

im white too
Original post by Dhanihk
People probably define it differently, but my understanding is:

Bisexual - 'bi' meaning two, so an attraction to two genders. This is typically the male and female binary - or, as I heard someone put it, being attracted to both ends of the gender spectrum but not really anything in between.

Pansexual - 'pan' meaning all (I think?), so an attraction to all genders and lack there-of. Pansexual people can be attracted to people who identify outside of the gender binary, so both ends of the gender spectrum and anything in between, as well as people who don't identify on the spectrum at all.

No that's just Tumblrsexuality, practically no-one is "outside the gender binary", at least not in any sense that's visible to potential suitors, so it's not worth having another category for.

Pansexual is when you are attracted to boys and girls indiscriminately, in the same way for each one. Bisexual is when you have a different pattern of attraction to each. I am bisexual because I like a very specific type of guy but can't put my finger on any particular type of girl I like. I am also only interested in casual arrangements with guys but again any sort of relationship with girls, although Tumblrsexuals will tell you that isn't part of it because that's described by the hetero- and homoromantic descriptors.
apart from bisexual and gay. everything is new to me
pansexual, aromantic, demiromantic, asexual, being gender fluid, gender queer etc
*Sigh* the only difference between pansexuals and bisexuals is that pansexuals include transgender and mixed gender individuals. Most bi-sexuals will just say they're attracted to either gender, pansexuals are still technically sexually attracted to people, just they find they can be sexually attracted to all types of sexes or genders....

I find the term Pansexual to be a pretty ridiculous concept, realistically no different to bisexual other than the claims of being more 'equal', despite technically a bi-sexual can also be gender blind. It also depends on which side of the whole argument of Gender (social) vs Sex (Nature), because technically a sexuality is not concerning the gender you are attracted to, instead it's just the sex, thus being gender 'inclusive' has nothing to do with your sexuality.

If you don't care about a persons gender and don't get sexually attracted to people but do like relationships on a personal level then you're Asexual. It's like someone saying the don't care about a person's physical appearance, but if you have two identical people personality wise you're obviously going to go for the one you find more attractive, as soon as that happens pansexuality get's shot down and tumblr gets upset. If you don't have that attraction or preference you're Asexual.

Basically it's a massive tumblr and feminist phrase that hasn't really been thought through very well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Think of it as Coffee and Tea.

A person can like Tea. A person can like Coffee. A person can like both. Some people might prefer Tea and only drink coffee on occasions, and vice versa, and some people might just equally like Tea and Coffee. If you go to the Supermarket and decide to buy a certain brand of Tea, it doesn't mean you are more or less likely to ditch it and switch to coffee instead.
Reply 17
Original post by scrotgrot
No that's just Tumblrsexuality, practically no-one is "outside the gender binary", at least not in any sense that's visible to potential suitors, so it's not worth having another category for.

Pansexual is when you are attracted to boys and girls indiscriminately, in the same way for each one. Bisexual is when you have a different pattern of attraction to each. I am bisexual because I like a very specific type of guy but can't put my finger on any particular type of girl I like. I am also only interested in casual arrangements with guys but again any sort of relationship with girls, although Tumblrsexuals will tell you that isn't part of it because that's described by the hetero- and homoromantic descriptors.

I was merely explaining the difference in definition between bisexual and pansexual, as someone asked. Who are you to say how people should identify, when you're not living their lives or walking in their shoes?

Gender and sexuality are very complex things, so please stop trying to force people into boxes they simply don't like for your own benefit. I frankly couldn't care less if it makes you feel uncomfortable, or if you want to shame peoples' identities because it doesn't fit your subjective view of the world.

Maybe that's what pansexual and bisexual mean to you, but you can't apply this universally, as clearly people identify with them in a different way. I've never heard other people using your way of defining the two, but that doesn't mean they're not correct to yourself - just like other people define them differently and use them for themselves.
Well, it can also be called gender-blind which is pretty self explanatory in that it means we see no gender, or that gender does not matter/makes no difference. So basically, my attraction to a person has absolutely nothing to do with their gender identity.

Bisexuality is generally an attraction to both men and women, (however one could be bisexual and be attracted to any combination of two genders on the gender spectrum.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I've got a better idea of what you mean now. I could probably define myself as pansexual if I wanted- I've seen people who don't conform to conventional gender identities who I find I attractive. I think I'll stick to defining myself as bisexual though for a few reasons. I've always thought of myself as bi & 'pansexual' is a fairly new term for me. People understand what being bisexual is, pansexual not so much. The majority of people identify as either male or female so bringing up other gender identities isn't really an issue most of the time.
Original post by Skeptique
You do know that this is mostly a white ppls thing right? I dont understand them neither, their fairly unimportant there are more vegetarians, horse riders and stamp collectors in society than homos and bi ppl (or "the chi chi breed" as i like to call them). It might help you to think of bisexuals as semi-denialists desperately holding on to the last fraying strands of their heterosexuality or "stunters" like orientationally straight women who do it for TV but then present it like a lifestyle or orientation for fashion purposes.

I'm sorry but you really don't know what you're talking about. "Mostly a white people thing"- I'm mixed race & bisexual & I can tell you there's plenty of gay & bi people from all ethnic backgrounds. And no, being bisexual's got nothing to do with denial or clinging on to heterosexuality. I mentioned before that I lean more towards same sex attraction than I did a few years back & if I reached a stage where I'm only attracted to women I'd be perfectly fine with that & wouldn't feel any need to be in denial about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending