The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Between Film and TV Production BA

Hello there! :biggrin:

I'm a student from Singapore looking into applying for either of these courses but honestly I'm torn, I'd love to do them both but guess there is a choice to make. Are there any students from either courses that could possibly shed some light on them? c': like how much theory/exams go into them, how much do you get to go out there and shoot, and how the community within the course is like, students and lecturers! And is there any harm in putting both as UCAS choices. I've looked at a couple of other unis but Westminster always stuck to me to seem like a great environment to be in, so I haven't really had many other choices to fill up other than Ravensbourne's Film/TV and Brunel's joint honours in Game Design, Film and TV. (I seem like a hot mess right? Ahahaha!) I've read the Film BA thread by Jack and Rhiriz's answer and it has been really helpful, but I'd love if I could hear from some of the TV side. :')

Thanks so much and have a great day!
Shantel
Original post by Shantel Neo
Hello there! :biggrin:

I'm a student from Singapore looking into applying for either of these courses but honestly I'm torn, I'd love to do them both but guess there is a choice to make. Are there any students from either courses that could possibly shed some light on them? c': like how much theory/exams go into them, how much do you get to go out there and shoot, and how the community within the course is like, students and lecturers! And is there any harm in putting both as UCAS choices. I've looked at a couple of other unis but Westminster always stuck to me to seem like a great environment to be in, so I haven't really had many other choices to fill up other than Ravensbourne's Film/TV and Brunel's joint honours in Game Design, Film and TV. (I seem like a hot mess right? Ahahaha!) I've read the Film BA thread by Jack and Rhiriz's answer and it has been really helpful, but I'd love if I could hear from some of the TV side. :':wink:

Thanks so much and have a great day!
Shantel

Dear Shantel,

The BA (Hons) Digital TV Production course at Ravensbourne offers two pathways that work together on group based projects: (1) Production students will focus on research and development and scriptwriting and the management of the creative process. Roles include producing, directing, floor managing, P.A. and vision mixing. (2) Operations students will focus primarily on cameras, lighting and sound. Roles include studio/location camera, lighting and sound, jimmy jib, Steadicam and Polecam operation and vision mixing.

As for the equipment used, TV studio kit includes such studio ped. cameras, Jimmy Jib, Kahuna vision mixer, C10 fully digital assignable multi-channel sound mixer, Portaprompt, 4 way radio mic rack mounted kit, Orad graphics machine, DMX ETC Element lighting desk controlling a studio lighting rig with the addition of moving head lights and LED multi-coloured cyc light battons.Location kit includes equipment such as broadcast Panasonic P2 cameras, Canon XF105 and XF305 cameras, Sony FS7 high frame rate cameras, Polecam and location sound and lighting equipment.

Graduates from this course work in all areas of television, both as staff and on a freelance/contract basis.

If you are currently in the UK and would like to meet our staff and students currently enrolled on this programme, we strongly recommend booking a place to attend our next Open Day. Alternatively, please email [email protected] to learn about alternative ways to gain further insights!

We hope to welcome you to Ravensbourne soon!
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Hi Shantel,

Yes, it can be really difficult making a decision, even more so when courses are in a similar subject area!

The practice-based Television Production BA Honours course focuses on a broad set of skills, with the aim of making each graduate able to turn their hand to any role in the production process, from pre-production scriptwriting and pitching, all the way through to post-production editing and mastering digital output with access to industry standard equipment and facilities.

The course develops practical and critical skills and is assessed through a variety of assessment methods (81% coursework): practical projects, presentations, written work, blogs, websites, and reflective writing.

You can gain an understanding of the work that the TV students produce by viewing the TV Production showreels. I advise emailing [email protected] for more in depth information on our Film BA and TV Production courses or if you have the chance by visiting at one of our Open Days.

Hope this helps in making your decision!!

Patrick :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi there,

Thanks so much for the replies! Yes it's been really tough to decide lately. Sadly I won't be able to go for any Open Days being here in Singapore but I'll definitely drop an email regarding the courses as well as requirements for polytechnic diplomas. Thank you once again for thanking the time to reply!

Shantel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending