The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Applicants' Page 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by TrojanH
I initially looked at a few general PS to get into the mindset of what a good PS shares across different subjects

I then went onto the TSR personal statement section and opened every single one for my course. I then opened every single one on studential. I looked at about 60-80 and closed off the ones that I couldn't relate to at all and narrowed it down to about 20 and then looked at those more closely and saw what was good about them, the way they phrase things and their structure - how they address key points etc and used it in mine.

To proof check your PS for plagiarism just copy your PS into google, one line at a time. Mine seemed to be very personal as I couldn't find a single line / phrase on the search engines, but even if some of it is vaguely similar and Google finds something similar, it will be dismissed as UCAS knows that over the years some statements will have similar phrases. Obviously if this happens for more than 3 lines I would change it.

Just keep it short and real concise, get to the main points and do it quick. Admissions look over hundreds of these things in a day and they're not looking for flowery language; they're looking for candidates that are capable of their course, with enough passion and desire not to drop out in the first year.

Also my biggest advice is not to worry yourself to death. Just do your thing and ideas will pop into your head, note them down and take it a bit at a time if you have to. Main thing is to write something that you can later amend, even if it's bad to start with.

That's really helpful! Thank you so much! Can't believe I didn't think of putting lines into google, it seems painfully obvious now you mention it
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Lovely pictures! I'm guessing you go there...?:h:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Lovely pictures! I'm guessing you go there...?:h:

yus mayne. I can answer questions :smile:
Reply 63
Name: Tom
Course: Law with American studies (with an intercalary year)
Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergraduate
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): D*BBB
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): AAA
Offer made/rejected: TBC
Original post by Kelem
Name: Tom
Course: Law with American studies (with an intercalary year)
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): D*BBB
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): AAA

Welcome to the thread! :dance:

Have you submitted your UCAS yet? If so, how are you feeling? Have the nerves gotten to you yet? :h:
Reply 65
Welcome to the thread! :dance:

Have you submitted your UCAS yet? If so, how are you feeling? Have the nerves gotten to you yet? :h:

Hey! :smile:

I've submitted my UCAS but it is lost. My application is complete, along with my references and predicted grades, but it's lost somewhere on the system, and it's been lost for 15 days :frown:

I'm not nervous yet, but when it's found and been sent, i'll be incredibly nervous :biggrin:
Original post by Kelem
x

Lost?! Are you sure that the universities you've applied to just haven't sent acknowledgement emails / looked at your application yet?

Haha, I'm been checking Track constantly for the past 2 days :zomg: it will ruin your life :mmm:
Reply 67
Lost?! Are you sure that the universities you've applied to just haven't sent acknowledgement emails / looked at your application yet?

Haha, I'm been checking Track constantly for the past 2 days :zomg: it will ruin your life :mmm:

Haha yes i'm very sure. I clicked 'pay and send', paid for my application and sent it to my college to attach my references and grades, but their system hasn't got it, and I can't access my application whatsoever :*(

I'm sure as soon as it's sent, i'll be on track constantly.... Hope I can learn to have self control haha
Has anyone got an offer? :smile:
Name: Emily
Course: Sport and exercise science
GCSEs: 1A*, 5As, 5Bs
AS Level grades: CDDD (retaking some modules)
A2 Level Grades: Predicted - BBC
--- had a pretty tough year settling into college, hence why my grades came out rubbish and my predictions are higher. October KA predicted ABC---

Name:
Undergraduate/Postgraduate:
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted):
[b]A2 Level Grades (achieved/pre

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilywenzel98
Name: Emily
Course: Sport and exercise science
GCSEs: 1A*, 5As, 5Bs
AS Level grades: CDDD (retaking some modules)
A2 Level Grades: Predicted - BBC
--- had a pretty tough year settling into college, hence why my grades came out rubbish and my predictions are higher. October KA predicted ABC---
Posted from TSR Mobile

Heya Emily! :hello:
How are you feeling about UCAS and the whole process? Have you sent your application off yet? :h:
Heya Emily! :hello:
How are you feeling about UCAS and the whole process? Have you sent your application off yet? :h:

Hiya,
I am slightly worried about receiving any offers given my AS grades however im hoping for the best. It got sent to my ucas referee yesterday :smile:
Name: Niall
Course: Civil Engineering
Undergraduate/Postgraduate: undergraduate
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): AABC
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): AAB
Name: Heledd
Course: English lit
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): BBC
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): BBB
Original post by LucentDoughnut98
Name: Niall
Course: Civil Engineering
Undergraduate/Postgraduate: undergraduate
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): AABC
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): AAB

Original post by reversed-alibi
Name: Heledd
Course: English lit
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): BBC
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): BBB

Welcome the both of you! :h:

Have you sent your UCAS off yet? Have the nerves officially begun?! :mmm:
Reply 75
anyone been to any open days?
Welcome the both of you! :h:

Have you sent your UCAS off yet? Have the nerves officially begun?! :mmm:

Hi!
No not yet, in the middle of re-drafting my personal statement over and over again:frown:
Original post by RaeRae96
anyone been to any open days?

I went to the one last Saturday, it was pretty good:smile:
Original post by reversed-alibi
I went to the one last Saturday, it was pretty good:smile:

Did you go through the hsv? I think I saw you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Proxenus
Did you go through the hsv? I think I saw you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Noo, just stayed on campus:biggrin:
What did you think of it?