The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Swansea University Applicants' Page 2016

Welcome to the Swansea University Applicants' page [2016 entry!!!]

I just thought that it would be cool to set up an applicant page for all people who are planning to apply to Swansea for 2016 entry to get to know each other and see who they're up against really !

Just fill out the form below and off you go! :

Name:
Undergraduate/Postgraduate:
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted):
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted):
Offer made/rejected:

Here's mine:

Name: Ally
Course: Software Engineering (with a year in industry)
Undergraduate/Postgraduate: Undergraduate
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Achieved AABB
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Predicted ABB
Offer made/rejected: Offer made (19/11/15) - A (in ICT) BB
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You thinking of applying to good ol' Swansea then?
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
You thinking of applying to good ol' Swansea then?

omg why is the OP like that?!? I can't seem to edit it :cry2: edit: fixed it :dance:

And indeed I am :u:
The Uni is fantastic. Definitely a firm if they accept me :p: :tongue:
Original post by .Vanessa.
The Uni is fantastic. Definitely a firm if they accept me :p: :tongue:

Aww that's great :dance:

What are you thinking of studying? :h:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Aww that's great :dance:

What are you thinking of studying? :h:

Nursing :h:
Reply 6
Name: Robi
Course: Computer Science MSci(with a year in industry)
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Achieved AACCD
Offer made/rejected: TBC
Original post by TrojanH
Name: Robi
Course: Computer Science MSci(with a year in industry)
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Achieved AACCD

Hey there! :dance:

You're applying for Computer Science, cool! I was going to apply for the same, but Software Engineering appealed to me the most haha.

What do you like about Swansea? :h:
Reply 8
Hey there! :dance:

You're applying for Computer Science, cool! I was going to apply for the same, but Software Engineering appealed to me the most haha.

What do you like about Swansea? :h:

It's my fourth option because its six hours away from where I live... so sorta hoping my other unis pull through and give me an offer hahah!

That being said it just looks like a real hidden gem. Ranked 20 or something and its just shooting up. Unfortunately the CS courses don't actually have BCS accredition. But I don't think it means too much in the actual field.

I'm a bit on the fence as to whether or not I do want to do SEng or CS but I can always choose later, I believe the first 2 years are the same :P

What do I like about Swansea? The seaside.

What A levels are you doing btw?

P.S Are you a master of TSR emojis?
Original post by TrojanH
It's my fourth option because its six hours away from where I live... so sorta hoping my other unis pull through and give me an offer hahah!

That being said it just looks like a real hidden gem. Ranked 20 or something and its just shooting up. Unfortunately the CS courses don't actually have BCS accredition. But I don't think it means too much in the actual field.

I'm a bit on the fence as to whether or not I do want to do SEng or CS but I can always choose later, I believe the first 2 years are the same :P

What do I like about Swansea? The seaside.

What A levels are you doing btw?

P.S Are you a master of TSR emojis?

6 hours?! Woah :eek: do you live in Scotland?! What other universities will you be applying to?

Actually, "

The BSc in Computer Science is accredited by the British Computer Society, and provides exemption from their membership exams. (*Excludes Software Engineering)."

I'm the one who is on the fence with my degree choice. :mmm:

I study IT, Sociology and English. Clearly my A levels aren't all mathsy, hence why Software Engineering would be my best best. Not doing Maths would restrict me from applying to so many universities for CS! What about you?

P.S. woooah :eek: how did you even know?! :colonhash: I feel like the emojis make me sound a lot more cheerful and not stressed than I actually am haha.
6 hours?! Woah :eek: do you live in Scotland?! What other universities will you be applying to?

Actually, "

The BSc in Computer Science is accredited by the British Computer Society, and provides exemption from their membership exams. (*Excludes Software Engineering)."

I'm the one who is on the fence with my degree choice. :mmm:

I study IT, Sociology and English. Clearly my A levels aren't all mathsy, hence why Software Engineering would be my best best. Not doing Maths would restrict me from applying to so many universities for CS! What about you?

P.S. woooah :eek: how did you even know?! :colonhash: I feel like the emojis make me sound a lot more cheerful and not stressed than I actually am haha.

Yep. You're right, the BSc is in fact accredited. But, I'm looking at the 4year undergrad MSci
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/computer-science/msci-computer-science-g4g4/#entry-requirements=is-collapsed&key-features=is-collapsed .

Unless of course, I'm looking at it wrong and masters aren't accredited because only Bachelors get additional accredition? Regardless, wouldn't really care if they are / aren't as I've looked at a lot of job posts in SEng and just IT in general - none ask specifically for a degree that is accredited. I think it's definetly more about skill and experience with a vocational degree like CS.

Your subjects are really strange for a CS degree... and so are mine. I take Bio, Psych and History. You're not really THAT limited though; unis just care about grades and your PS. QMUL, Kent, Aston, etc all do not ask for Maths.
I have applied to Newcastle MComp, Lancaster BSc, Nottingham BSc, Swansea MSci, and Northumbria MComp. I'm also going on to apply through the PARTNERS scheme with Newcastle (really keen on going Newcastle).

Also, I think your posts make you seem like a really colourful person. In contrast, I hope I don't look like a really grey, boring, dull person! So, why are you stressed? It's October, the school year just started haha.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TrojanH
x

Oh... my bad. I looked at the wrong course. I'm sure Swansea have alternative ways to accredit you or at least put you in the right path towards received accreditation for your degree. I read somewhere that for a few degrees, you may need to pay yearly, take an exam and/or gain work experience in the field. Not quite sure how reliable it was though. :s-smilie:

Ahh that's good. It's great that Swansea offer a year in industry (at some pretty great places too! :ahee:) so at least we won't be coming out of it empty-handed.

Haha, I don't know how you could handle Biology, it looks incredibly difficult! :zomg: I wish I took Maths, but I'm actually quite content with my uni choices and course so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Weirdly enough, you don't sound boring at all even though there aren't any emojis in sight :giggle: some people just have the gift of getting across their point and don't need to use emojis as a pedestal to do that haha.

I'm so stressed because I've literally got IT coursework deadlines to meet every Wednesday haha. If I slack on those, then I'm actually certain that I'll end up having a breakdown of some sort :zomg:
Original post by TrojanH
Yep. You're right, the BSc is in fact accredited. But, I'm looking at the 4year undergrad MSci
http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/computer-science/msci-computer-science-g4g4/#entry-requirements=is-collapsed&key-features=is-collapsed .

Unless of course, I'm looking at it wrong and masters aren't accredited because only Bachelors get additional accredition? Regardless, wouldn't really care if they are / aren't as I've looked at a lot of job posts in SEng and just IT in general - none ask specifically for a degree that is accredited. I think it's definetly more about skill and experience with a vocational degree like CS.

Your subjects are really strange for a CS degree... and so are mine. I take Bio, Psych and History. You're not really THAT limited though; unis just care about grades and your PS. QMUL, Kent, Aston, etc all do not ask for Maths.
I have applied to Newcastle MComp, Lancaster BSc, Nottingham BSc, Swansea MSci, and Northumbria MComp. I'm also going on to apply through the PARTNERS scheme with Newcastle (really keen on going Newcastle).

Also, I think your posts make you seem like a really colourful person. In contrast, I hope I don't look like a really grey, boring, dull person! So, why are you stressed? It's October, the school year just started haha.

I don't know about the MSci but the MEng was (unless this has changed from three years ago) accredited by BCS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Other people doing Computer Science, yay! I'm applying for an MSci in it as well. Right now just gotta get my Maths grade up to a B, but other than that my grades are looking alright, and I'm also applying to Leicester, KCL and UWE Bristol, and somewhere else I haven't decided on yet.
x

Sooo.. what unis are you applying to? I'm curious :smile:

They do offer a year but I don't think the unis actually get you a job. I think it's more a long the lines of "give us a grand, here are some numbers, go make some calls".. but have also heard that work exp in CS is probably the most flexible thing ever, as you can just sit at home, make a few little games and call it work. Some guy did exactly that, got a 2:2 out of a uni ranked in its 50s and got offered 28k straight out of uni (not London). That's why I think it's more of a "get xp get job" type of degree.

I don't know how you couldn't handle Biology? I find it interesting, to like, see exactly how something works in the body. Cell replication? Cool. Nervous system? Cool. I suppose some people are different though :P

I wouldn't worry too much about Coursework deadlines. They're all internal right? That means they're all makebelief deadlines! Of course, you shouldn't not worry too much.. actually, you're probably better off worrying too much.

Original post by row101
Other people doing Computer Science, yay! I'm applying for an MSci in it as well. Right now just gotta get my Maths grade up to a B, but other than that my grades are looking alright, and I'm also applying to Leicester, KCL and UWE Bristol, and somewhere else I haven't decided on yet.

Nice, nice! What grades do you have + in what?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by TrojanH
Nice, nice! What grades do you have + in what?

ABDU for AS, in Computing, English Language, Maths, and Physics (which I dropped). Predicted AAD this year, so yeah, Maths is the main issue for me, but I'm retaking C1 & C2 next June. My sister went to Oxford for Politics with A*A*A*A, so quite the contrast, haha. And I'm travelling from posh Surrey, 4 hours away, so there's that too, Wales seemed completely different when I went to Swansea for an open day!
Oh... my bad. I looked at the wrong course. I'm sure Swansea have alternative ways to accredit you or at least put you in the right path towards received accreditation for your degree. I read somewhere that for a few degrees, you may need to pay yearly, take an exam and/or gain work experience in the field. Not quite sure how reliable it was though. :s-smilie:

Ahh that's good. It's great that Swansea offer a year in industry (at some pretty great places too! :ahee:) so at least we won't be coming out of it empty-handed.

Haha, I don't know how you could handle Biology, it looks incredibly difficult! :zomg: I wish I took Maths, but I'm actually quite content with my uni choices and course so I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Weirdly enough, you don't sound boring at all even though there aren't any emojis in sight :giggle: some people just have the gift of getting across their point and don't need to use emojis as a pedestal to do that haha.

I'm so stressed because I've literally got IT coursework deadlines to meet every Wednesday haha. If I slack on those, then I'm actually certain that I'll end up having a breakdown of some sort :zomg:

The uni doesn't place you into those schemes, you have to pro-actively look for and apply to industrial placement schemes yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's mine:

Name: Ally
Course: Software Engineering (with a year in industry)
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Achieved AABB

Hello :smile:

Name: Emma
Course: Political Communication
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Achieved ABC
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Predicted A*AB
Original post by TrojanH
x

In order of preference, I'm applying to Swansea/Cardiff, Brunel, NTU and Brighton :h:

See.. it goes to show that uni places in the league tables aren't the be all or end all :yep:

I just feel like the subject is regurgitation, though I've heard that the A2 syllabus is a lot more interesting and it requires a lot more effort! :zomg: I admire those who do it though, you have to give it your all!

Haha, I just want to get right up to speed with what I've done so far, so that I can spend half term revising it instead of making notes on it :h: I think I left things way too late last year.

Original post by Princepieman
The uni doesn't place you into those schemes, you have to pro-actively look for and apply to industrial placement schemes yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I figured from an earlier poster's response, ha.
Original post by emiloujess
Hello :smile:

Name: Emma
Course: Political Communication
AS Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Achieved ABC
A2 Level Grades (achieved/predicted): Predicted A*AB

Heya! :hello: Welcome to the thread.

Political Communications sound interesting; what is it about? Also, you have got such lovely predictions haha! How are you feeling about the whole UCAS process at the moment? :h:

Quick Reply

Latest