The Student Room Group

A level History?????

Is A level History a bad idea if you haven't done it for GCSE and the whole class is people who have taken it for GCSE?
Original post by zeyaraa
Is A level History a bad idea if you haven't done it for GCSE and the whole class is people who have taken it for GCSE?

No, you will probably be learning something new anyway, the only thing that GCSEs will have over you is source analysis - but this can be learnt easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
although your essay based skills might not be as developed this can be worked on with practise and as all of the course content is different from GCSE i can't see that it would be a problem tbh :h:
Reply 3
Thank you @Ben4 and @CoolCavy you have definitely helped me in my decision :smile:
Original post by zeyaraa
Thank you @Ben4 and @CoolCavy you have definitely helped me in my decision :smile:

No problem, hope you choose History its a fascinating (but difficult) subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zeyaraa

no problem :h: hope you enjoy it :smile: PM me if you want to ask anything about history AS :h:
I did History at as and got an A , although even with the GCSE history knowledge it didnt help much imo.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I did History at as and got an A , although even with the GCSE history knowledge it didnt help much imo.

When did you begin studying and how? Did you do the January/May exams? Or were your exams all in May?
Reply 8
Original post by zeyaraa

If you need help with History or any essay based subject for that matter let me know :smile:
Original post by zeyaraa

You'll probably be okay but I found that the writing style and basic source analysis at GCSE really helped me when doing AS. Maybe look at basic writing techniques and how to answer GCSE questions briefly before you start, but you'll probably pick it up really easily at AS :smile:

I got 97% overall and I feel a lot of it was because I was so confident in writing technique, but of course it varies from person to person!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dmcalinden
When did you begin studying and how? Did you do the January/May exams? Or were your exams all in May?

Begin studying at around easter time for june exams , i had mainly revised through having plans for every past paper question and also very detailed set of revision cards. I knew the course back to front which was essential in order to get an A. Also , i practiced past paper exams , which my teacher marked and gave feedback. Honestly , once you get the course knowledge and technique down it's not that hard. Bare in mind , i was getting c's for months at the start.
A level history was absolute cancer. I really disliked every minute of it but I came out with a very very high A at the end. I'm also an expert on the Tudor period now...

Quick Reply

Latest