The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
standard entry requirements for nottingham and manchester= ABB

If you're asking about the requirements for pharmacy that is.
Reply 2
yeh, it says that on the site too.
but some ppl got offered A-A-B. i was wondering if that was the typical offer for everyone
Reply 3
AFAIK, Manchester only gives AAB offers for Pharmacy to resit candidates. It's very unlikely a non-resit applicant would be asked for AAB grades.
Reply 4
has anyone here actually got an offer from manchester or notts?
Reply 5
firestar786

I was holding offers from both during clearing last summer but declined them.
Reply 6
yeah manc ABB

notts interview on 27th
Reply 7
I have got an offer of AAB for some reason and i did not do any resits. This is for manchester. I also thought that standard entry requirement was ABB.
Reply 8
Well the website does say AAB-ABB. What are your A-Level subjects? It could be that if your choices are not 3 sciences, they may ask for AAB in order that you can demonstrate the ability to cope with academic rigour as the course is highly scientific and hard work.

If you do offer 3 sciences, I suggest it might be worth asking them why they asked you for AAB.
Reply 9
British Bulldog

If you do offer 3 sciences, I suggest it might be worth asking them why they asked you for AAB.

Because Manchester think they are Oxbridge that's why. And I did 3 degrees there. Dont take it to heart thoght. When I applied I got an offer of CCC from KCL but BCC from Liverpool JMU (????)
Reply 10
Manchester is an excellent university though and unlike a lot of "Elite" universities who claim that tagline because of their Russell Group status, at least there is a trend of offers being in the AAB/ABB region in nearly every course offered at Manchester. Unlike say another RG university like Liverpool where the only degrees you need to obtain AAB for are Medicine, Dentistry, Vet Med and Law. The rest will rarely ask for anything above BBC/BBB.

Manchester is a good university.
Reply 11
I'd say Manchester is the closest thing you'll get to Oxbridge for Pharmacy (maybe Nottingham and Bath aswell).
British Bulldog
Manchester is an excellent university though and unlike a lot of "Elite" universities who claim that tagline because of their Russell Group status, at least there is a trend of offers being in the AAB/ABB region in nearly every course offered at Manchester. Unlike say another RG university like Liverpool where the only degrees you need to obtain AAB for are Medicine, Dentistry, Vet Med and Law. The rest will rarely ask for anything above BBC/BBB.

Manchester is a good university.

True. And they've earned the right to think they are Oxbridge by excellent management and hard work. They've brought in a lot of big hitters with huge research grants and the aim now is to attract nobel proze winners. This seperates them from Oxbridge per se in that they havent a hugely rich and long history to rely on BUT with such huge success will come some elitism.
BTW. Did you know that the VC at Manc calls himself "The president" now? I was told this by one of the academics. See my point?
firestar786

yeah i have got offers from both. Im going to put Manc as firm and notts as insurance.
i am a resit candidate so manc asked for AAB...i have A in psychology alevel already so just need the AB in chem and bio respectively.
Good luck. And beware. The guy from Boots that supervised dispensing used to break the ends of your suppositories when he was in a bad mood. Though its safe to say he's probably not there now!
Reply 15
HKS_
I have got an offer of AAB for some reason and i did not do any resits. This is for manchester. I also thought that standard entry requirement was ABB.

Sometimes Manchester gives those offers if it is not convinced you will make the grades/pharmacy is not your first choice
Reply 16
pharmgirl
Good luck. And beware. The guy from Boots that supervised dispensing used to break the ends of your suppositories when he was in a bad mood. Though its safe to say he's probably not there now!

Do you mean manc? (Ian smith or Andy Adams?)
zazy
Do you mean manc? (Ian smith or Andy Adams?)

No not Ian Smith he was later. This guy had a camp pink pen that he used to draw huge crosses over your work with. He gave me the shivers! What about Dr Rees "You've got to be out by 430!"
Reply 18
pharmgirl
No not Ian Smith he was later. This guy had a camp pink pen that he used to draw huge crosses over your work with. He gave me the shivers! What about Dr Rees "You've got to be out by 430!"

Oh, you must be an oldie :P she just does law with us at the moment and we dread every second of it eeeeeeeurgh because she doesn't seem to appreciate that in the 3rd year we know what morphine is used for:rolleyes: ..are you talking about the 4th year?
Reply 19
I've met Ian Smith, nice chap.

As for Manchester, yeah I've seen the staff profiles and they seem very impressively qualified. One went to Cambridge (not for Pharmacy), one did a research fellowship at Harvard, some qualified from St Andrews and Manchester and there's one who went to Dartmouth College.

Manchester is a very good university and a good place to study Pharmacy. Hence I want to re-emphasise the point I made in the other thread that you should only take up a place on the course because you genuinely want to study Pharmacy and become a Pharmacist, and not to pursue a graduate entry route into Medicine or Dentistry. If it was the latter you wanted to do, that would be such a waste of the resources available at Manchester.

Latest

Trending

Trending