The Student Room Group

LSE Economic history with CCCC at AS?

Hi i would also like to apply to LSE for economic history but my AS grades were CCCC but my school will predict me AAA. And the course i would like to apply to has a grade requirement of AAB. Would lse still consider my application?
Original post by nad_18
Hi i would also like to apply to LSE for economic history but my AS grades were CCCC but my school will predict me AAA. And the course i would like to apply to has a grade requirement of AAB. Would lse still consider my application?

Those predictions seem a bit far fetched, unless there were extenuating circumstances I dont think they will consider your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by nad_18

Being blunt - no chance.
LSE also don't do interviews, as grades and a strong PS is absolutely integral.
With predicted grades that are vastly different from AS grades, as yours are, I would expect your referee to provide an explanation in your reference eg mitigating circumstances.

Frankly I would be surprised if you got an offer, but if you do want to apply to LSE then make sure that you apply to a range of unis with lower entry requirements to reduce the risk of ending up with 5 rejections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
Those predictions seem a bit far fetched, unless there were extenuating circumstances I dont think they will consider your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i would be retaking 4 exams and my referee will explain that
Original post by nad_18
i would be retaking 4 exams and my referee will explain that

Still, I dont think you will get an offer, but hey theres no harm in trying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nad_18

Unlikely and unless there were serious mitigating circumstances, those predictions are far-fetched and would question the reliability/credibility of your reference.

If you're really keen on LSE then of course you could reapply the following year if you get the grades.

Truthfully there's no real harm in applying if you're ok with using up one of your spots with the risk (high probability) of rejection. As another person said consider a range of universities but if you were aiming for AAA (A*AA at a stretch) and with a subject like Economic History/History you might want to apply to some stronger universities if you did reapply the following year (if going onto to further study or even a top graduate entry job was your aim).
Hi guys do you think it's possible for me to apple for Economic History with BBCC AS levels in Maths, Economics, History and Psychology. (dropped Psych)
I'm predicted AAA and my PS is mostly Economics but, I do elaborate on historical events like the Market Crash 1929 and British Imperial History and international trade of the 1870s/80s.
Is there any point in me applying cause i really want to study there but i fell my AS grades are far too low.
Please someone reply.
Thanks,
Original post by Student1245
Hi guys do you think it's possible for me to apple for Economic History with BBCC AS levels in Maths, Economics, History and Psychology. (dropped Psych)
I'm predicted AAA and my PS is mostly Economics but, I do elaborate on historical events like the Market Crash 1929 and British Imperial History and international trade of the 1870s/80s.
Is there any point in me applying cause i really want to study there but i fell my AS grades are far too low.
Please someone reply.
Thanks,

Pretty much everything said in this thread applies to you, too. LSE is inundated by applicants with perfect scores. If you apply, do it with your eyes open.
Did you have some extenuating circumstances for your AS exams? Otherwise your predictions simply aren't credible, to be honest.
Original post by itsConnor_
Did you have some extenuating circumstances for your AS exams? Otherwise your predictions simply aren't credible, to be honest.

Yes, and that is explained in my reference by my tutor. My school usually predict one grade higher than your AS so I was initially predicted AAB but, because of my circumstances they put it at AAA.
Yes, and that is explained in my reference by my tutor. My school usually predict one grade higher than your AS so I was initially predicted AAB but, because of my circumstances they put it at AAA.

Given that LSE gets 6 applicants for every place the advice given already is totally correct. You are chasing 1 of the very best in the world. Your chances of getting in are around zero. If you want to apply you can but you face almost certain rejection. Look at less competitive unis and at all costs avoid Oxbridge LSE and Durham amongst others
Please someone reply.
Thanks,

As others have pointed out your chances of getting an offer are low but it is just one spot on your UCAS. If you feel you will get offers from the rest then put LSE down if you really want to go there.
Reply 13
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
As others have pointed out your chances of getting an offer are low but it is just one spot on your UCAS. If you feel you will get offers from the rest then put LSE down if you really want to go there.

But make sure all the other options are realistic, and don't take it to heart if you do get a rejection.
Original post by Juno
But make sure all the other options are realistic, and don't take it to heart if you do get a rejection.

I'm guessing that was aimed at the OP rather than me?
I have to admit I am a little concerned by the fact that there are teachers out there who are willing to over-inflate grade predictions by two grades (assuming there are no grave mitigating circumstances). I question the credibility of such teachers/schools etc. This is not only detrimental to the student but also to other students from the school who may wish to apply to the LSE or other elite universities in future.

I remember back in the day I got a B in AS Maths and my teacher wouldn't budge on predicting me anything higher than a B for A2 even though I got an A (before the A* was introduced).

I know some students can have bad days and AS grades shouldn't necessarily be the be all and end all but given there are thousands of students applying all with the same or higher grade predictions, AS grades and GCSEs and strong references are what differentiates between candidates.

I'm not trying to put off the OP or others, not at all. But you have to be realistic. That doesn't mean you wouldn't be good enough if you say got AAA and reapplied etc. but then that's a decision you need to make taking into account whether or not you would be prepared to sit out another year just for the sake of applying to LSE or indeed Oxbridge.

As someone who has been around the block with ups and downs with academia and being told "no" by various people because I was never good enough, I never wanted to accept no for an answer so simply went away and did what needed to be done to improve.

I am rambling but I can see why LSE is a desired choice, everyone knows why i.e. reputation, networking opportunities, career placement etc. If it's what you want then go for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending