The Student Room Group

Can't cope...thinking of dropping a subject?

So far, I'm doing maths, chemistry, physics, german and further maths AS. Already I can't keep up and its only October. it's just so stressful, i only have 2 free periods and no motivation to do my homework. revising is okay. i want to learn each subject in depth but i just don't have the time to do so. i copy my friends answers in maths or i look at the back of the book because I'm just sick of it. sometimes i understand the method, but they make you work too hard and too quick that's why i need to take shortcuts or my teacher will get annoyed. its also tedious. I'm not learning at the depth that i want to (e.g understanding what i'm actually doing in maths and why it's used) simply because i don't have the time due to the excessive unnecessary homework that is too much work to put effort into every single one. maybe im just lazy i don't know.

heres what im not dropping: german and physics. i like them both.

Chemistry is kind of boring, I have nothing to do with chemistry. I thought it would be easy (like GCSE) and I guess it is but...I mostly chose it to open my options and it "goes" with my other subjects.

The obvious choice is to drop further maths. But I like further maths; more than I like maths because of the teacher. I mean I have always liked maths in general but the amount of homework and my teachers and even the exam is really putting me off.

I feel like I should drop chemistry but in a way I still want to go to chemistry lessons and carry on. it's too early to decide yet.

Can anyone relate? Any advice? I think A-Levels were invented so people stop having a life. Off to do my growing mountain of meaningless homework.
Original post by Paisley99
So far, I'm doing maths, chemistry, physics, german and further maths AS. Already I can't keep up and its only October. it's just so stressful, i only have 2 free periods and no motivation to do my homework. revising is okay. i want to learn each subject in depth but i just don't have the time to do so. i copy my friends answers in maths or i look at the back of the book because I'm just sick of it. sometimes i understand the method, but they make you work too hard and too quick that's why i need to take shortcuts or my teacher will get annoyed. its also tedious. I'm not learning at the depth that i want to (e.g understanding what i'm actually doing in maths and why it's used) simply because i don't have the time due to the excessive unnecessary homework that is too much work to put effort into every single one. maybe im just lazy i don't know.

heres what im not dropping: german and physics. i like them both.

Chemistry is kind of boring, I have nothing to do with chemistry. I thought it would be easy (like GCSE) and I guess it is but...I mostly chose it to open my options and it "goes" with my other subjects.

The obvious choice is to drop further maths. But I like further maths; more than I like maths because of the teacher. I mean I have always liked maths in general but the amount of homework and my teachers and even the exam is really putting me off.

I feel like I should drop chemistry but in a way I still want to go to chemistry lessons and carry on. it's too early to decide yet.

Can anyone relate? Any advice? I think A-Levels were invented so people stop having a life. Off to do my growing mountain of meaningless homework.

Chemistry feels like a waste of your time. You shouldn't take a subject because it 'goes' with others (does it even go with them?). I would ask to speak to your head of sixthform or chemistry or yeargroup (however it works at your school), but I think if you are struggling already you need to drop the workload down as it honestly gets much harder... hope I haven't disheartened you with that but just accept that you aren't superhuman and don't need to study 5 as-levels?
Think hard what you want to do in the future then decide to drop whatever subject you think :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Artfanatic
Chemistry feels like a waste of your time. You shouldn't take a subject because it 'goes' with others (does it even go with them?). I would ask to speak to your head of sixthform or chemistry or yeargroup (however it works at your school), but I think if you are struggling already you need to drop the workload down as it honestly gets much harder... hope I haven't disheartened you with that but just accept that you aren't superhuman and don't need to study 5 as-levels?

in fact dropping chem wont solve the problem because i don't get a lot of homework from chem and if i don't do their hwk its not the end of the world. but maths is really stressing me out...as each teacher gives a ton of work for the next day and they get so annoyed when you dont do it. and ive got other stuff to do.... now that i look at the revision guide chemistry seems okay...so i don't know.

its not even the revision, its the HOMEWORK i hate. i can get good grades on my own...i don't need teachers telling me what q to do.

thanks for your help anyway...i think i underestimated the work from 5 as levels.

at what months is the peak of the workload??
Original post by Paisley99
in fact dropping chem wont solve the problem because i don't get a lot of homework from chem and if i don't do their hwk its not the end of the world. but maths is really stressing me out...as each teacher gives a ton of work for the next day and they get so annoyed when you dont do it. and ive got other stuff to do.... now that i look at the revision guide chemistry seems okay...so i don't know.

its not even the revision, its the HOMEWORK i hate. i can get good grades on my own...i don't need teachers telling me what q to do.

thanks for your help anyway...i think i underestimated the work from 5 as levels.

at what months is the peak of the workload??

Well I was making revision notes basically from day 1 so I think I avoided 'the peak' but it hit me during my exams haha.

Maths should be a fairly easy one to keep up with, especially at this early stage so I would be worried that you aren't understanding the material. You say you can get good grades but I highly doubt it if you are struggling already. You can turn it around as you are so early into the course but if you don't do the homework you won't really learn much as there is so much to learn that its often impossible for a teacher to teach the required amount per day all in that segment they have with you. Make a timetable plan and try to stick to it as you need to really keep on top of it or it will only get harder from here on!
Reply 5
Original post by Artfanatic
Well I was making revision notes basically from day 1 so I think I avoided 'the peak' but it hit me during my exams haha.

Maths should be a fairly easy one to keep up with, especially at this early stage so I would be worried that you aren't understanding the material. You say you can get good grades but I highly doubt it if you are struggling already. You can turn it around as you are so early into the course but if you don't do the homework you won't really learn much as there is so much to learn that its often impossible for a teacher to teach the required amount per day all in that segment they have with you. Make a timetable plan and try to stick to it as you need to really keep on top of it or it will only get harder from here on!

Yeah...good advice...i will do
What might you want to do at university?

Chemistry is very useful as it leaves many degrees open, but if you are sure you don't want to do any of them it's fine to drop. You would still have 2 sciences which leaves doors open.
It really depends what you want to do at uni. Drop according to which courses aren't necessary to get a course.

Quick Reply

Latest