The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

University of Leeds - Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dougiepurple
I totally get you , any similar courses I've found aren't quite like the Leeds one and the entry requirements are really low . But this means my backups have had to be a joint honours in geography and business , unfortunately all the entry requirements are the same AAB so I haven't got a proper backup plan . Everyone I know has 5 choices but I only have 3 at the moment and I've literally searched everywhere for other courses I might like .

I want to go to a 'good' university and this course it exactly what I want it to be !

You're exactly in the same boat as me!! :redface: The best thing you could do now is try and make yourself known to the admissions tutors before you send off your UCAS, by emailing them questions about the Environment and Business course, such as: how many spaces for the course? what are the career prospects?. This will show that you are highly committed to this course. So I guess they'll be more inclined to give you an offer after they receive your application.:smile:

Before open day, I emailed the director of my course a few times about the course. When I met him personally on open day, I told him my name and he remembered me immediately:biggrin:, then we had a friendly conversation on my subject area. I'll never forget that moment.
(edited 8 years ago)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
You're exactly in the same boat as me!! :redface: The best thing you could do now is try and make yourself known to the admissions tutors before you send off your UCAS off, by emailing them questions about the Environment and Business course, such as: how many spaces for the course? what are the career prospects?. This will show that you are highly committed to this course. So I guess they'll be more inclined to give you an offer after they receive your application.:smile:

Before open day, I emailed the director of my course a few times about the course. When I met him personally on open day, I told him my name and he remembered me immediately:biggrin:, then we had a friendly conversation on my subject area. I'll never forget that moment.

Great advice !! I introduced and talked to the leader of the course when I went to the open day and she said that I asked lots of great questions and we had long conversation about the course . Also she looked at me when she did the talk afterwards about the course , as what she talked about linked to one of my question's . So I'm hoping I made a good impression. :smile:
Great advice !! I introduced and talked to the leader of the course when I went to the open day and she said that I asked lots of great questions and we had long conversation about the course . Also she looked at me when she did the talk afterwards about the course , as what she talked about linked to one of my question's . So I'm hoping I made a good impression. :smile:

I did exactly the same as you for my course! I also tried to make the best possible impression of myself. I remember I scribbled so many questions down on rough paper a few days before I went there, and asked them to a member of staff on the day.

Out of interest, when are you planning to send off your UCAS? I would like it to send mine off by the end of this week. I am virtually done with my personal statement but my school insist on passing it on to lots of other teachers and the Head before it's considered 'good'. Even then they probably won't let me send my UCAS till November, because they have to deal with the 'early' applicants first. :frown:
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
I did exactly the same as you for my course! I also tried to make the best possible impression of myself. I remember I scribbled so many questions down on rough paper a few days before I went there, and asked them to a member of staff on the day.

Out of interest, when are you planning to send off your UCAS? I would like it to send mine off by the end of this week. I am virtually done with my personal statement but my school insist on passing it on to lots of other teachers and the Head before it's considered 'good'. Even then they probably won't let me send my UCAS till November, because they have to deal with the 'early' applicants first. :frown:

My school has really early internal deadlines for Oxbridge and medicine (18th September ) but for the rest i.e. Me ( 2nd October ) . Although sent my application two days after deadline and at the moment it's being processed by the school . Wanted it sent off to UCAS before half term but since I haven't been summoned to see my reference yet , I don't think it will be sent by then!:s-smilie::redface:
I had to see so many teachers before my form tutor said my personal statement was 'good' :colondollar:
Course: Economics and Politics
GCSEs: 8 A*'s, 2A's, 1 B
AS: AAAB (History, Geography, Politics, Maths)
A2 subjects:A2 (predictions or achieved): A* A* A* (History, Geography, Politics)

applied last thursday!
Original post by sazzledazzle
Course: Economics and Politics
GCSEs: 8 A*'s, 2A's, 1 B
AS: AAAB (History, Geography, Politics, Maths)
A2 subjects:A2 (predictions or achieved): A* A* A* (History, Geography, Politics)

applied last thursday!

Same course! Where else have you applied to?
Original post by United1892
Same course! Where else have you applied to?

ahh cool! oxford, warwick, exeter and bath! what about you?
ahh cool! oxford, warwick, exeter and bath! what about you?

nice!

I've gone Nottingham, Sheffield, Liverpool and Leicester.
nice!

I've gone Nottingham, Sheffield, Liverpool and Leicester.

sounds good! when did you apply? i'm hoping leeds will reply soon!
sounds good! when did you apply? i'm hoping leeds will reply soon!

Monday, I got an acknowledgement yesterday.
Monday, I got an acknowledgement yesterday.

okay good luck! hopefully we get some offers!
okay good luck! hopefully we get some offers!

Yeah. Good luck to.
My school has really early internal deadlines for Oxbridge and medicine (18th September ) but for the rest i.e. Me ( 2nd October ) . Although sent my application two days after deadline and at the moment it's being processed by the school . Wanted it sent off to UCAS before half term but since I haven't been summoned to see my reference yet , I don't think it will be sent by then!:s-smilie::redface:
I had to see so many teachers before my form tutor said my personal statement was 'good' :colondollar:

Same!! My tutor said mine was good and it'll be passed on to several other teachers before it's given the go ahead. Just got to focus on actually getting the grades I need:s-smilie:
Name: Owen
Course: Economics (Maybe with Finance)
GCSEs: 5A's 5B's
AS: AAA
A2 subjects: , History, Business Studies, Maths
A2 (predictions or achieved): A*A*A
Other: Yet to visit Leeds but from what I've seen so far it looks good. Does anybody studying economics, who went to the open day, have any more information on the course?
Reply 34
Name: Dot
Course: Japanese
GCSEs: 5A*, 5A, 1B
AS: AABBC
A2 subjects: Japanese, English Lit, Fine Art
A2 (predictions or achieved): AAB
Other: Anyone heard back from Leeds yet? Got a confirmation email but nothing more, applied on thursday
Name: Luke
Course: Mathematics
GCSEs: ABBBBBBCCC + Merit
AS: AABB (Maths, Government & Politics, Economics, Geography, respectively)
A2 subjects: Maths, Economics, Government & Politics, AS Further Maths
A2 (predictions or achieved): AAA
Other: There are some modules which aren't on the course which I would have liked, but I am impressed with the university as a whole.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi everyone!

Name: Aquilla
Course: English Literature and History of Art
GCSE's: 3A* 5A 4B 1C
AS: AAAA
AS subjects: English Lit, English Lang, Fine Art and PE
A2 subjects: English Lit, English Lang and Fine Art
A2 predictions: A*AA

Other: Has anyone been getting offers yet? Hoping to get my application off by the end of the week.
Course: Environment and Business
GCSEs: 3A*s 7As
AS: AABB ( English , Geography , Business studies { 1 mark off A :/ } , History )
A2 subjects: Geography , Business Studies , History
A2 (predictions ): A*AA ( not sure I'll get that though ....)
Other: Scared I won't meet requirements for course AAB

I'm worried about meeting the requirement to! We are predicted the same and have the same entry, we should be fine... I hope so anyway I loved Leeds!
Hey everyone! So excited about this thread!

Name: Josie
Course: History
GCSEs: 10A*s, 1A
AS: AAAA (History, Economics, French, Geography)
A2 subjects: Same as AS subjects + an EPQ. Don't actually know my predicted grades :s-smilie:
Other: Got an offer last Monday (12th October) - AAA :h:
Name: Lewis
Course: Chemistry (MChem)
GCSEs: A*A*A*AAABBBB
AS: BBC
A2 subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Maths with Mechanics
A2 (predictions): ABB
Other: Resitting M1 and F212
Got my offer, subject to attending an interview, on Friday
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest