The Student Room Group

New GCSE's

Does anyone know anything about the new GCSE's?
Original post by Jawsh27

I think they're all linear so you have no coursework and your grades will be 1 to 9 with 9 being like an A*
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
I think they're all linear so you have no coursework and your grades will be 1 to 9 with 9 being like an A*

Actually, I think an 8 is equivalent to an A* and the 9 is a new 'super A*' type grade. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
Actually, I think an 8 is equivalent to an A* and the 9 is a new 'super A*' type grade. :smile:

I think 9 is supposed to be like an A** grade.

Good luck year 10's!
If you were born in the last thirty years you were born in the wrong time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are a stupid idea
You're going to get graded 1-9 in English and Maths only, 1 being equivalent to an A* and 9 being equivalent to U. According to statistics only 30% of students in yr 11 in the UK will get grade 1. Are you in the 30%? Also in maths you have to memorise all the equations e.g the area of a triangle, the area of a trapezium etc. Normally all the equations are at the front of the paper but now they won't be unfortunately. They're making GCSEs harder than they were because they're not that hard, which I agree with because GCSEs are literally nothing! Just concentrate in class and go over things you don't understand and you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
You're going to get graded 1-9 in English and Maths only, 1 being equivalent to an A* and 9 being equivalent to U.

I think you've been misinformed. 1 is the lowest grade and 9 is the top grade, Only about 20% of those who would currently get an A* will get a 9.
Reply 9
This is a short summary of the new changes.
-You will need to learn Maths Formulas of by heart.
-Controlled Assessments will be scraped for English.
-There is a 1-9 Grading System.
-You won't have the books infront of you in English exams.
That's all I heard from Teachers.
Original post by Compost
I think you've been misinformed. 1 is the lowest grade and 9 is the top grade, Only about 20% of those who would currently get an A* will get a 9.

No its 1 and 30%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Compost

Oh no sorry haha yes 9 is the highest and i think its 30%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
No its 1 and 30%

Posted from TSR Mobile

How the hell will 30% of students get an A** when 30% don't even get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ravenous food
How the hell will 30% of students get an A** when 30% don't even get an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said 30% will get an A** out of those who normally get an A*.
Original post by Jawsh27

Here's a helpful article on tsr explaining it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=1951-New-GCSE-changes-explained#navgcse :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest