The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 1
I think some employers may be blinded by prejudice, but i think on the whole employers will see through the 'essex' thing.

If i had a pound for everyone who said 'essex, hah, they have a university in ESSEX?' when i was applying to uni, i'd be a very rich lady! However, i went despite what people said and it turned out fine! All of my friends have good jobs.. so at the end of the day i think most employers do know that it is infact a good university particularly as its reputation is increasing more and more. However, you are still going to come up against some people who don't know that though and might think twice about the 'essex' thing. Which is really annoying.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Jacket Potato
Some people say that as Essex isn't a red brick university employers will be prejudiced against it. Also, the every fact it's Essex makes people prejudiced against it. Thing is, from what I have been reading Essex is actually a good university. Are people merely blinded my prejudice or do employers know that it's actually a good uni?

I think the following assessment is fair;

To students, Essex is seen as less than prestigious more often than not, unless they pay attention to league tables and know other things about it.
Employers see it as a fairly good uni; the uni job fairs and companies which recruit here certainly suggest that about the place. For postgrad study it's very very good and recognised throughout the country for being good.
Reply 3
I wouldn't go to Essex Uni, but that is purely because I live here!! However I am somewhat hypocritical because if I live in cambridge, and had an offer from them, then I would go there; but that is not the point, Essex is not Cambridge, thus I'm not in that dilema! Do not listen too much to the critics, Essex is a great uni, but I just do not want to go there because I live here and want to move a bit further a field. Colchester is great too - so you should have a ball if you come to Essex. What do you plan to study?
Reply 4
I'm not entirely sure :rolleyes: sociology with french perhaps? Essex is certianly very good for social sciences as far as I can tell
Well French is French is French, you'll be taught it well here and be given the oppurtunity to study is many institutes in France if you so desire. Sociology, (Although not a real subject :p:) is well taught here.
Reply 6
Depends somewhat on the course. Essex is widely considered to be a second tier institution and graduates have to deal with the stigma associated with that tag. However, if you come out with a first class, there is no reason why an employer will snub you as long as you impress at an interview. An academic record can only take you so far; to go further, you need initiative and other qualities that you cannot learn at any institution.
Reply 7
I spent a year and a half at Essex before I escaped. I had a terrible time there and couldn't wait to get out. The students were great and the grounds were nice (beyond the library). I just found the teaching quality and upkeep of the concrete areas really poor. I was charged for everything and anything, had student teachers who couldn't be bothered, had barely no access to computer facilities after 10am, had no help available when I needed it. I had to walk over vomit and beer cans every morning. Essays took over a month to be marked, people waved magazines in my face and asked 'for survey time' nearly every morning I would walk in. I couldn't even use the fast food place as it was too expensive. I think it was over £1 something for a small Pepsi.

The place has its positives I'm sure. I just think Essex has earned any negative comments it may receive.
well people have their own views and i am sure their will be people out there who don't like essex but conversely, i am sure the majority who have been have enjoyed their time there.

my first choice was manchester before i started to apply through ucas but with extensive research, i have found essex to be the right place for me to go. it has a world class economics department, the students who have been have generally had a positive experience, the university itself has good links with firms and industry and is situated in a nice area.

i think in terms of teaching, it does depend what you enrolled for as so far i have heard nothing but good things about the economics department but i don't know much about any other departments. the concrete buildings are sometimes offputting but i am pretty sure as you live there, you get used to the surroundings and it should not be too much of a bad thing as i don't exactly come from the nicest of places.

i think the fact that you spent a year+ there still shows that you could handle ssex no matter how bad you thought it was, i mean 1 or 2 months should be more than enough for you to decide whether the institution is the right one for you.

but i am happy i chose essex and i am eagerly awaiting my experience there.

p.s. for me employers should do some research when interviewing candidates, at least on the institutuion they were at and how it ranks in terms of the degree they received.
Reply 9
I'm still sure that this pencil dude was going to a completely different uni. I really want to know what course they did. I never had a teacher who couldn't be bothered... student (that would be a phd student) or otherwise... and there are so many computers on campus you seriously couldn't have been looking hard enough... and in my four years at essex i never once had a magazine waved in front of my face or was asked to take a survery. It gets pretty hectic round election time but i just saw that as a positive as it showed an active student population.... which can only be a good thing in my opinion.

On a side note, why would you actually WANT to use SX express (or SXdistress!)? That food should never be touched except for when ones body is highly intoxicated with alcohol.. a bit like kebabs. :biggrin:
Pencil
I spent a year and a half at Essex before I escaped. I had a terrible time there and couldn't wait to get out. The students were great and the grounds were nice (beyond the library). I just found the teaching quality and upkeep of the concrete areas really poor. I was charged for everything and anything, had student teachers who couldn't be bothered, had barely no access to computer facilities after 10am, had no help available when I needed it. I had to walk over vomit and beer cans every morning. Essays took over a month to be marked, people waved magazines in my face and asked 'for survey time' nearly every morning I would walk in. I couldn't even use the fast food place as it was too expensive. I think it was over £1 something for a small Pepsi.

The place has its positives I'm sure. I just think Essex has earned any negative comments it may receive.

I'm sure some of your comments have merits I'm sure, but I just can't help but think you bought much of that on yourself.
Reply 11
I've recently had two interviews for legal training contracts and on BOTH occassions the interviewers have asked why I decided to go to Essex.

A fair question you may think. But the fact it, Essex is looked upon badly by employers. It has a reputation it doesn't deserve, as in fact, most courses are highly rated.

Latest

Trending

Trending