The Student Room Group

Lying to get a gift year

My friend has dropped out of uni and says she will keep her maintenance loan by lying about re-applying next year (with no intention of re-applying) to get a 'gift year'. Is this possible? :/ I told her it was a stupid idea...
(edited 8 years ago)
Everyone gets a gift year in case they choose the wrong course, get ill etc
Original post by Mimsycrafts
Everyone gets a gift year in case they choose the wrong course, get ill etc

She said she had no intention of re-applying which I'm assuming is the only reason someone can have a gift year (otherwise they want the full loan back immediately). She is basically a mess.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah that wont work once she leaves they will ask for the money back. Even if she intends to return.
Original post by kawaiibaebae
My friend has dropped out of uni and says she will keep her maintenance loan by lying about re-applying next year (with no intention of re-applying) to get a 'gift year'. Is this possible? :/

(DON'T MOVE THIS TO 'STUDENT FINANCE' BECAUSE NOBODY ANSWERS ON THAT SUB FORUM!)

No, that isn't possible, because SFE will know and want all of that money repaying. Lying like that (to earn money) is basically a means of fraud, so most certainly will not work.
Reply 5
Yeah but she has no intention of re-applying which is the only reason you can have a gift year (otherwise they want the full loan back immediately) and is getting an apprenticeship

I assume she won't be sitting her exams? At the end when she gets removed from failing, the uni may or may not inform student finance. In which case she'l have to pay it back in instalments. Even if they don't, she'll end up repaying it anyway
Original post by spotify95
No, that isn't possible, because SFE will know and want all of that money repaying. Lying like that (to earn money) is basically a means of fraud, so most certainly will not work.

Thanks that is basically what I told her, I was worried it wasn't legal and a terrible idea. I don't know why she went to uni in the first place.
(edited 8 years ago)
She won't get a maintenance loan unless she's in full time study, regardless of her intention to reapply.

In any case, by dropping out during first year she's already used up her gift year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loan and grant payments only go through each term when a university confirms a student's attendance.

If she doesn't turn up after Christmas she won't get any further instalments and the SLC will know she is eligible to repay.
My friend has dropped out of uni and says she will keep her maintenance loan by lying about re-applying next year (with no intention of re-applying) to get a 'gift year'. Is this possible? :/ I told her it was a stupid idea...

it's called fraud she's looking at a 2-7 year holiday or a large fine and community service payed for by your taxes basically it against the law and if caught (she most likely will be if she's dumb enough to tell anyone) she will have a criminal record.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending