The Student Room Group

Why are people so shocked by my music taste?

My favourite bands are Alter Bridge, Chevelle and the "grunge" (I don't treat it as a genre more of an umbrella term for a group of bands that rose to prominencea around the Sam's time) bands such as Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden etc also Jimi Hendrix, Silverchair, Linkin Park, Royal Blood, Queen, and Wolf Alice are bands I listen to however I am black and whenever I tell people what I listen to I get looked at like I'm some freak of nature and it really annoys me. So I've always just wondered why.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Y u no like trap?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yea, but u only like one strain of music,

I r8 grunge, love Nirvana (come as you are > teen spirit any day)
fkin love trap music wakka flocka flame one hood ass ni....
vaporwave is sicccck, hit up yung lean
old school hip hop is calm
so is grime
I like bits of heavy metal
some dubstep
the commodores aswell,
funk and disco
taylor swift is bae

i dont get why people dont rate ur music taste
It's probably because at rock and metal shows, generally there are very few black people attending them, and black people are generally associated with rap/pop music. However, I went to a Black Sabbath concert and there were two black guys sitting next to me, and I was honestly a little surprised, but you're definitely not the only black person who likes rock! I think you're cool, I enjoy rock and metal also :five:
You don't listen to any classical music, that's the problem mate.
Original post by GOKU27
Y u no like trap?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think I've ever listened to trap I'll put it on my too listen list

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Ah i see the problem. Your playlist is lacking Kanye West.
Original post by vis break
yea, but u only like one strain of music,

I r8 grunge, love Nirvana (come as you are > teen spirit any day)
fkin love trap music wakka flocka flame one hood ass ni....
vaporwave is sicccck, hit up yung lean
old school hip hop is calm
so is grime
I like bits of heavy metal
some dubstep
the commodores aswell,
funk and disco
taylor swift is bae

i dont get why people dont rate ur music taste

I don't only listen to that I'll generally listen to anything as long as it's good, my music list ranges from Stevie Wonder to RHCP to Nas to Gorrilaz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
omg I'm so shocked at your music taste :eek4:
Original post by Boredomstrikes
I don't only listen to that I'll generally listen to anything as long as it's good, my music list ranges from Stevie Wonder to RHCP to Nas to Gorrilaz.

Posted from TSR Mobile

readin an earlier post, its prolly cuz ur black (not tryna be racist)
but stereotypin has led to ppl thinking rock/grunge..etc is only for white kidsss
I was raised in a valley there was shadows and death,
got out alive but with scars I can't forget.

You like OP?
Lol I like rock/ and get the same reaction too. Yes it is because you're black I'm afraid, its seen as unusual.
Original post by Leviathan1741
It's probably because at rock and metal shows, generally there are very few black people attending them, and black people are generally associated with rap/pop music. However, I went to a Black Sabbath concert and there were two black guys sitting next to me, and I was honestly a little surprised, but you're definitely not the only black person who likes rock! I think you're cool, I enjoy rock and metal also :five:

I remember I went to see Darlia and I was the only black person there. I just find it weird because people find it weird that I as a black guy love rock but they won't bat an eye at a white guy who likes hip hop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because 'Alice in chains' sounds so terribly grim as opposed to 'Alice in Wonderland'
No Pegboard Nerds, that is yer problem, m80
Props for Royal Blood. Best Rock act around atm
I remember I went to see Darlia and I was the only black person there. I just find it weird because people find it weird that I as a black guy love rock but they won't bat an eye at a white guy who likes hip hop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like I said, it's probably simply because it's more unusual for black people to like rock :smile:
Original post by Mystery.
Because 'Alice in chains' sounds so terribly grim as opposed to 'Alice in Wonderland'

In school we used to joke around about which musician/band names would make weird sounding movies and Alice In Chains was always first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In school we used to joke around about which musician/band names would make weird sounding movies and Alice In Chains was always first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahah, can imagine.
My favourite bands are Alter Bridge, Chevelle and the "grunge" (I don't treat it as a genre more of an umbrella term for a group of bands that rose to prominencea around the Sam's time) bands such as Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden etc also Jimi Hendrix, Silverchair, Linkin Park, Royal Blood, Queen, and Wolf Alice are bands I listen to however I am black and whenever I tell people what I listen to I get looked at like I'm some freak of nature and it really annoys me. So I've always just wondered why.

I'm not sure, seems like pretty a generic "alt" taste to me

Quick Reply

Latest