The Student Room Group

Core vs accs anaesthetics

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on either and whivh is bettwr or advantages amd disadvantages of each for training in anaestheticcs

Is there one way that most people do

From what ive read i think id prefer core training as its a year less amd will be more foccussed on anaesthetivs which i like where emergency med im not that fond of
Original post by jooby92
Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on either and whivh is bettwr or advantages amd disadvantages of each for training in anaestheticcs

Is there one way that most people do

From what ive read i think id prefer core training as its a year less amd will be more foccussed on anaesthetivs which i like where emergency med im not that fond of

ACCS will probably make you a more rounded doctor than core anaesthetics, depending on your previous experiences.
Core will give you 3 more months anaesthetics experience, and also doesn't break up your training so much.
I chose core anaesthetics cos the thought of doing MAU made me want to kill myself.
Reply 2
I did core anaesthetics, but had done 6 months Emergency Medicine as an F2 and never wanted to go back, plus had a year of ICU experience after F2. If you think you might be at all interested in ICU long term, and/or you haven't done any A&E or medicine as an F2 (F1 doesn't count so much) then I would recommend ACCS - the medicine component will count for at least part of what is required for ICU training, and I think almost everyone benefits from a period at the sharp end in ED. If none of these apply, then go for core anaesthetics.

In my corner of my deanery (South East London) the jobs were somewhere between 1/2-2/3 core anaesthetics, the rest ACCS (anaes). Not sure if this is true elsewhere.
Reply 3
im probably more interested in the aneastehtics side than ocu so think core is better

is a&e really that bad lol

also what are the hours/rota like in anaesthetics training, or is it no worse then what ud do in a medical training
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by jooby92
im probably more interested in the aneastehtics side than ocu so think core is better

is a&e really that bad lol

also what are the hours/rota like in anaesthetics training, or is it no worse then what ud do in a medical training

A&E is not bad - I really enjoyed my 6 months there, learned absolutely loads and felt much more like a proper doctor after a year of mostly secretarial F1 work. But the rota was an absolute killer, and I got fed up with being harrassed about the 4 hour thing. So I would recommend everyone gives it a go, but I wasn't keen to go back for another 6 months! Plus, like Carpediem, I wasn't keen on additional medicine time.

The hours are ok. You'll have earlier starts than in medicine (8am or even 7.30 depending on where you work) and you'll still have to do long days and nights - though not all places have core trainees, especially CT1s, on nights. All the rotas I have worked have been roughly 1 in 8s - which actually means you end up working 1 in 4 weekends, one days one nights IYSWIM. But you do get random days off to make up for it, and unlike medicine, you can usually go home on time as you'll be doubled up with a consultant most days as a junior, and they often let you go around 5ish. It's generally a calmer pace than medicine, you can only deal with one patient at a time, and as you're almost always doubled, you usually get tea and lunch breaks. I love it most of the time (slightly less at 3am when getting harrassed by midwives...)
Reply 5
I chose core anaesthetics as I had already done 18 months of core medical training and just wanted to get stuck in! When I first applied in F2, I would have accepted either an ACCS or a core anaesthetics job depending on what I was offered (didn't get in at this point though).

Shiftwise, as Helenia says really. Love my rota at the moment in comparison to the rota for my core medical jobs. Earlier starts but finish on time more often than not with regular breaks and less intense days than medical days tended to be. (I'm only a novice so not done proper on calls for anaesthetics yet but do 1:7 long days/weekends at the moment)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending