The Student Room Group

Best universities to study actuarial science?

GCSE - 7A* 2A 1B
AS - AAAAB (Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chinese, Chemistry respectively, I was 1 mark off an A in chemistry but dropped it for A2)
A2 predictions - A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, plus an A prediction in Chinese)

Currently these are the 5 universities I am thinking of applying for, do you guys think this is a decent list?
1-LSE
2-Warwick (MMORSE course)
3-Manchester
4-Cass
5-Leicester (uncertain)

I've tried researching on this site for opinions on Leicester but I don't find much, is it not a good course or something?

Also, are there any universities I havn't listed up there that is possibly worth applying to?
Reply 1
Original post by kelvin1338
GCSE - 7A* 2A 1B
AS - AAAAB (Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chinese, Chemistry respectively, I was 1 mark off an A in chemistry but dropped it for A2)
A2 predictions - A*A*A (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, plus an A prediction in Chinese)

Currently these are the 5 universities I am thinking of applying for, do you guys think this is a decent list?
1-LSE
3-Manchester
4-Cass
5-Leicester (uncertain)

I've tried researching on this site for opinions on Leicester but I don't find much, is it not a good course or something?

Also, are there any universities I havn't listed up there that is possibly worth applying to?

Hey man. With those grades, provided you have a half decent personal statement, I'm sure you'll get a MMORSE offer, which I've heard is one of the best(if not the best) courses in the UK to be an actuary.
LSE is obviously amazing as well and undoubtedly you have strong enough grades, each of your top 2 would serve you greatly. I don't think you've missed off any universities to be honest, your list looks great and I wouldn't worry about leicester, it's your 5th choice afterall, but I have heard it's a good university with a nice atmosphere, not sure about the course though.
Reply 2
Original post by IMZL
Hey man. With those grades, provided you have a half decent personal statement, I'm sure you'll get a MMORSE offer, which I've heard is one of the best(if not the best) courses in the UK to be an actuary.
LSE is obviously amazing as well and undoubtedly you have strong enough grades, each of your top 2 would serve you greatly. I don't think you've missed off any universities to be honest, your list looks great and I wouldn't worry about leicester, it's your 5th choice afterall, but I have heard it's a good university with a nice atmosphere, not sure about the course though.

Thanks, also, what was your offer? Was it the standard one: either A*AA or AAA+2 in STEP/AEA?
Mmorse then lse then cass
Reply 4
Thanks, also, what was your offer? Was it the standard one: either A*AA or AAA+2 in STEP/AEA?

Yes.
GCSE - 7A* 2A 1B

1-LSE
3-Manchester
4-Cass
5-Leicester (uncertain)

Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh, Scotland. We were the first in the UK to offer a degree in Actuarial Science :u: If you would like to know more, please don't hesitate to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest