The Student Room Group

Helpp!!! Flatmate issues!!

This has been concerning me since day one, I've given it time and tried to be patient, the issue is I can't get along with my flatmates. I am considering switching flats, but not entirely sure how I should approach it. The reason I would like to say it's somewhat urgent is because its 2 in the morning and I can't sleep because of that reason. At first I thought it's okay, it happens give it some time, it has been a couple weeks now - I have tried to bond with them and interact. I am thinking of giving it till the end of this month, then I might consider changing.

The main problem is, I already have a rough idea as to which flat I want to move into, however it's convincing the other girl staying there to move out - obviously I don't want to be rude about it etc. And I know what you all may be thinking, it's fine give it some more time, interact with them more. See the reason why it's harder for me is because I'm an international student - half of the time the topics they discuss about, I have no clue about. and aside from that I don't feel comfortable - that's the saddest part (I haven't told anyone that)...

I don't wanna be the person who can't pull through; but I feel so lost and alone. I have made friends on campus, but having friends in your flat is also important.

Please help - honesty is welcome <3
Reply 1
If you move into another flat, you are probably going to have British flatmates who will again discuss topics you "have no clue about". I doubt many flatmates even care to deeply bond with each other besides light casual interactions so you will probably run into this issue everywhere else.
Reply 2
hey, the thing is I know the people in the other flat, i've meet with them few times already - they don't like their other flatmate; they have even suggested that I swap with her - I don't know how to approach that. I get along with them very well. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by choves
hey, the thing is I know the people in the other flat, i've meet with them few times already - they don't like their other flatmate; they have even suggested that I swap with her - I don't know how to approach that. I get along with them very well. :smile:

Oh that sounds very tricky. Maybe the other girl is comfortable living where she is and honestly telling her to move would probably only be a hassle for her as she would need to move all her luggage not to mention she might be nervous already moving into a flat with new people giving her a cold reception. I think you should just remain in your flat, you could still hang out with those other flatmates without living with them.
Reply 4
I think most people don't really care to be great friends to flatmates because, let's face it, no one chooses their flatmates you all just get randomly allocated so the chances of you being put together with people you get along great with are slim. Even if most people appear super chummy with flatmates it's mainly because they don't know anyone else or don't have any good friends outside the flat.

The best way to make friends is on your course and by putting yourself out there and joining societies. Put yourself in the best chance to meet as many people as possible; you're international - have you joined the internationals society or society for your country?

Obviously if it becomes unbearable for you and starts to affect your health and/or studies, then I would suggest you move. At my uni there are certain accommodation that are for international students so you could request to be moved to a flat like that. I wouldn't try and make that girl switch with you because that's unfair on her, especially if she doesn't want to go through the hassle of moving. Even just asking her would put her in an awkward position for the rest of the year and that's unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thank you guys!!! I appreciate your input, it's super helpful... a girl in my flat her friend will be moving in, because someone is leaving, so I might just take her room - then we can swap! that way it won't be a huge hassle since she is moving anyway. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest