The Student Room Group

Feeling v. dizzy and tired in certain rooms/lectures

Note: I know I'm posting this @ 2am, and the obvious answer would be "get more sleep!" but I'm almost always asleep before midnight, tonight is a one-off :wink:

I don't know what causes it specifically, but after being in particular classes or lectures for about 10-20 minutes, I will get a painful headache, find it really really hard to focus on things (as in eyesight EDIT: and my concentration goes), everything will seem louder, and it becomes really hard to not just put my head on the desk and close my eyes. These aren't just mild "I'm really tired + bored" symptoms, I mean it's really really bad. Like I stop being able to read things on the screens without focusing really really hard. I just stop taking any notes after it hits me. Sometimes it feels like I've dozed off and any kind of noise will jolt me back awake. Sometimes I close my eyes and I can't tell if it's been a few seconds or minutes.

Happened to me in sixth form occasionally (always with the same teacher + classroom), but this was in a chemistry classroom so I thought there might be some dodgy chemical/gas in there that made me sleepy, but now I'm in my 2nd week of uni and it's happened twice already, both times in the same room (big lecture hall).

As soon as the class/lecture is over and I get up and walk out, I feel 100% fine. When I'm in the lecture, suffering from this overwhelming sleeping sensation, I'll think with absolute certainty "I have to go home and just go to bed after this, the rest of the day doesn't even matter" but then I'll get out of the room, walk around and carry on as if nothing happened - feeling completely fine.

Common themes seem to be:

Boring talk - e.g. stuff we don't really need to remember

Only the teacher/lecturer talking, in a pretty boring voice

Not very interactive - e.g. just sitting there and listening, or taking occasional notes

And before people say "I feel tired / bored in lessons too, it's normal" I just want to emphasize one more time how pronounced these symptoms are. I stop thinking rationally and actually get worried. I'm fairly sure I drift in and out of sleep, even when I'm sitting up with my head in my hands. Never happens in any other setting.

Edit: just to clarify, there's not a 100% reproduction rate - I've had numerous lectures in this lecture theater, and it's only happened twice.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest